wierd smells

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by andyframpton, Jul 28, 2008.

1. andyframpton

andyframpton Read Only Funster

Help
    just used the truck for the first time since winter skiing trip, there is now what can only be described as a sulpher smell but we can not find out where it has come from, they only thing I can think of is when we cleaned and chlorinated the fresh water tank the chemical has distrupted the silt in the bottom of the waste tanks.
    any thoughts as to this problem would be welcome:cry::cry:

2. highwayman

highwayman Funster Life Member

Hi andy
    That smell is from 'stuff' in your waste tank, pour a bucket of water and disinfectant
    down your sink and drain the tank straight away. Smell should be gone. :thumb:

regards....nige

3. TJ-RV

TJ-RV Deleted User

A sulfur or rotten egg smell is usually associated with a bacteria that grows in the hot water tank when it sits unused. You could chlorinate the tank (same way as you chlorinate the rest of the fresh water system) leave for a few hours, empty the tank, then flush. I've also found that continuous flushing for an extended time can help.

Regular flushing of the tank will help prevent recurrence.

4. andyframpton

andyframpton Read Only Funster

Thanks Both
    Tried the two different remedies and Happy days the smell has now gone:Laughing::thumb:

5. Jules8888

Jules8888 Deleted User

Stop Smells - Keep Your Waste Tap Open

Hi,

On my Hymer I leave the tap on the waste tank open after draining and when driving. Close that tap before doing the dishes or showering.
    Storing the van......leave that tap open. Sweet smells to ya,

Jules

6. PIONEER

PIONEER Read Only Funster

Have a look at your leisure battery. Ours suddenly started smelling last year and had to be replaced.