Widows 10 and watching Terrestrial television

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Waves, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Waves

Waves Funster

I have a Dell XPS laptop with a builtin TV card which enables me to watch tv anywhere I am in the Van in the UK and when I am abroad it enables me to watch live football like Euro 2016 in Spain and France etc. It is operated via windows media player and it means I do not need a separate TV .
    Windows 10 has not got a Media Player so I have yet to download it. I have spent time searching the internet for something that will operate the TV card but have yet to find anything. Has anybody had the same problem and found a solution? or someone who can point me in the right direction.

Thanks John

2. wigster

wigster Funster

Try vlc player from Videolan . That plays nearly everything (y)

3. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

There are two separate potential problems: a player to replace Media Centre for which you have had some suggestions; and a W10 driver for the TV card. The driver should be your first concern because without it no player will be of much use. Do Dell provide a W10 driver?

• Like Like x 1
  6. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

How old is your TV card? It is possible it is not compatible with Windows 10. I can only suggest Googling the name of your card and see if you can get W10 drivers for it. Alternatively, it may be easier to buy a new card which works with the new operating system.

Edit: I thought I had posted this yesterday!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Vick

Vick Read Only Funster

Hello,
    I have recently upgraded to W10 and made enquiries about compatibility with an antenna that I have. The reply I got was inconclusive but they did refer to 'windows 7 compatibility mode'. I have no experience of it but it might be worth investigating.

Cheers
    Chris

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Waves

Waves Funster

Thank you for your replies, the laptop is about 6years old and the Tv card if that's what you call them was built in to it from new and I have no idea what it is called.
    I am not a tekkie so my ability to do anything technical is very limited. Having had a look at the suggestions I would add that I do not want to play anything I have sorted that, it something that will convert a Tv signal in to a picture. It is then no longer a laptop it is a Television.
    At this moment in time the usefulness of having a laptop/tv combined out weighs whatever benefits windows 10 may have.
    I will continue to investigate and if I solve the problem I will post it.

Thanks John