Widows 10 and watching Terrestrial television (1 Viewer)

Nov 9, 2012
Paignton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1995
I have a Dell XPS laptop with a builtin TV card which enables me to watch tv anywhere I am in the Van in the UK and when I am abroad it enables me to watch live football like Euro 2016 in Spain and France etc. It is operated via windows media player and it means I do not need a separate TV .
Windows 10 has not got a Media Player so I have yet to download it. I have spent time searching the internet for something that will operate the TV card but have yet to find anything. Has anybody had the same problem and found a solution? or someone who can point me in the right direction.

Thanks John

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have a Dell XPS laptop with a builtin TV card which enables me to watch tv anywhere I am in the Van in the UK and when I am abroad it enables me to watch live football like Euro 2016 in Spain and France etc. It is operated via windows media player and it means I do not need a separate TV .
Windows 10 has not got a Media Player so I have yet to download it. I have spent time searching the internet for something that will operate the TV card but have yet to find anything. Has anybody had the same problem and found a solution? or someone who can point me in the right direction.

Thanks John
There are two separate potential problems: a player to replace Media Centre for which you have had some suggestions; and a W10 driver for the TV card. The driver should be your first concern because without it no player will be of much use. Do Dell provide a W10 driver?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
How old is your TV card? It is possible it is not compatible with Windows 10. I can only suggest Googling the name of your card and see if you can get W10 drivers for it. Alternatively, it may be easier to buy a new card which works with the new operating system.

Edit: I thought I had posted this yesterday!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 17, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
14Yrs
Hello,
I have recently upgraded to W10 and made enquiries about compatibility with an antenna that I have. The reply I got was inconclusive but they did refer to 'windows 7 compatibility mode'. I have no experience of it but it might be worth investigating.

Cheers
Chris

OP
OP
W
Nov 9, 2012
Paignton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1995
Thank you for your replies, the laptop is about 6years old and the Tv card if that's what you call them was built in to it from new and I have no idea what it is called.
I am not a tekkie so my ability to do anything technical is very limited. Having had a look at the suggestions I would add that I do not want to play anything I have sorted that, it something that will convert a Tv signal in to a picture. It is then no longer a laptop it is a Television.
At this moment in time the usefulness of having a laptop/tv combined out weighs whatever benefits windows 10 may have.
I will continue to investigate and if I solve the problem I will post it.

Thanks John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back