Wi-fi signal boosters (1 Viewer)

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
I know some of you have employed different methods for getting better internet reception in your motorhomes (some using usb 3g dongles at the top of flagpoles, some with wifi boosters on the roof tof the van etc.)

I'd be very interested to hear what you do...

I'm interested in solutions used for both better wifi and better 3g reception and if you can include what kind of connection you use (usb, ethernet, aeriel etc.) and make and model of devices used...and of course how you rate it's performance :thumb:

For 3g I currently use a Three 'mifi' (it's a battery operated wireless router - it connects to the internet via 3g and allows upto 5 devices to connect to it through wifi)

For wifi I connect to a wireless router in my motorhome which connects using wifi to a wifi access point. This gives me better connection to the wifi access point than using my laptop but also gives me a much more secure connection too. - Performance is okay but I do it this way mainly for the security aspect and another 'techy' reason. :ROFLMAO:

Personally I'm hoping to find a way of using my current wifi setup but hope to be able to boost it's performance...

Anyway, what do YOU use? ::bigsmile:

Last edited:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I use this Bryan (usb) recommended to me by Paul (Onderweg) I am so pleased with it I have bought my manager one. :thumb:

Link Removed

Scroll when the page opens.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi, i have just bought this and all seems fine so far with auto driver instal on windows 7 and seems to give me at least 4x + the distance without the antenna.:thumb:
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solwise-Outdoor-USB-adapter-9dBi/dp/B003CYX7NS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1336313036&sr=8-7[/ame]

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
We have an Alfa Network booster, bought from ebay and costing between £18 and £25.
It works very well indeed and we can pull in Wifi when others find it impossible.

Ginny

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We used a dongle when we just had a netbook but bought a MiFi after purchasing a tablet which Jill uses whilst I use the netbook.

I looked, briefly, at signal boosters at Peterborough but decided that - for us - it wasn't worth it. Being on cable broadband at home we don't have access to the BT Fon network so, no matter how many WiFi signals we would be able to pick up it seemed that it would be a bit hit and miss as to whether we would find a usable unsecured one.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Here at morella aire last month
Link Removed
From the aire itself I picked up 4 Morella free wifi spots using one of these same as a facultyX but much cheaper
Motorhome WiFi | Improving Wireless Range for Caravans and Campervans
From the top car park non of the free wifi is visible due to the adjacent walls/castle etc

Capture-L.jpg

OP
OP
Bryan

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Thanks for the replies ::bigsmile:

All seem credible solutions...especially if you plan to use a usb connection.

I know at least one user that uses one that look identical to this
41ESTJFPxGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and he said it was very good indeed.

I think I may try one of these...

41narZu0P-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

...as I want to connect to a wireless router in my motorhome, and this should just replace the current little stubby rubber aerial.

Good point that Graham made, more and more private wifi connections are now secured and so unless you can use the btfon system you are reliant on public open wifi networks (one of the main reason I hide behind my own wireless subnet in my motorhome :winky:)

I also know plenty of other users have got external aeriels or boosters so hopefully they will join in and post their solution :thumb:

Bryan

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
The advantage of a booster is for example when you are on a site which has wi fi, often you have to go to reception to use it. With a booster 90% of the time you do not i.e. in France on ACSI sites. :thumb:

OP
OP
Bryan

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
oooh, I've just found this...reckons to be 18db

Broken Link Removed

and it should connect straight to my router aerial connection :thumb:

OP
OP
Bryan

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
I use that Yagi. Its quite good

I know...t'was you I was referring to...:thumb::ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:

I saw it in Spain and thought "I need to get something myself..." after all, it IS technically a gadget :ROFLMAO:

As the one I will probably get is just the aerial without any USB gubbins I might even save some money.

(I wonder if I should get some to take to the bring & buy :winky:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back