wi-fi on caravan club sites

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by nannas-boy, Mar 20, 2010.

1. nannas-boy

nannas-boy Read Only Funster

Has anyone else had trouble getting wi-fi on Caravan club sites? We are at the 3rd site now that advertises wi-fi, and again its a hit and miss situation . We have bought the kezone cards and for the 3rd time I have spent my time walking round the site looking for the best spot to try and pick up a signal? Is it only us that has this trouble?

2. hailman

hailman Read Only Funster

On a CC site now and no sign of wifi, nothing showing on `available networks`, so went into town and bought a dongle from the O2 shop.

3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Just as with any WiFi installation, those at CC sites can be affected by buildings, trees etc.

Before buying a dongle we used WiFi at Abbey Wood in London and at Edinburgh. In both cases I enquired when I booked in and the warden advised the best pitches to try - and to check whether we could pick up a signal with the laptop before buying the Kezone card.

Graham

4. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

We use our 3 or vodafone dongles fairly cheap to run and one or the other gets a signal in uk

5. laneside

laneside Funster

laneside

Not the caravan club site but we were at the camping and caravan club site at Delamere in February where they have a new system installed.

The cost was £4.00 per hour or £7.00 per day, the signal was almost none existant and the wardens although sympathetic were not in a position to offer refunds.

At these exhorbitant prices please buy a dongle and make them realise that they have got it completely wrong.

Cheers Alan

6. ralph-dot

ralph-dot Read Only Funster

I got a good signal on the York site, just will not pay for it.

7. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

wi fi

hi guys,we never rely on wi-fi on site .we bought a dongle,as someone said it doesnt seem that expensive and its never let us down yet:thumb: regards brian jo & josh:Wink:

8. nannas-boy

We went out and bought a dongle from 02 shop, we got back to cc site and tried it but it didn't work. the only network it was showing was kezone. Off we went back to the 02 shop and the girl advised us that maybe the club sites put a block on other networks so that you have to buy the kezone. We are a bit new to the internet so not sure if this is possible that they can block picking up other networks?

9. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

When staying at the Edinburgh CC site recently we noticed the Wifi sign and enquired about it - £5 per hour was the cost so we decided just to use our Vodaphone dongle and had brilliant reception plus many hours on the net and in the chat room for a few pence!

10. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

Hi. I think you need to setup the dongle with some software which should be provided. Might be best to switch your WiFi off as the dongle will not be using it. I use a '3' dongle, coverage at some sites is OK at others nothing but you can check on the providers web site to see if the area you are in is covered.

I also use the dongle when at home as my only internet conection

Mike

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  11. nannas-boy

Wonder if a vodaphone dongle is a better option than the 02 one that we bought? In the end we have had to buy kezone so that we can use the internet. Has anyone had better results with vodaphone? i feel like taking this 02 one back but we cant be sure that its the dongle thats the problem .

12. TonyIsh UK

TonyIsh UK Read Only Funster

I use BTbroadband who offer btfon service for free ( and some continental services ?)

I was informed that you can us the btphon service on CC sites for free, does anyone know if this true ?

Also

BT now offers a USB dongle that seems to be btphon compatiable, has anyone used the service ?

Rgds

13. metalmickey

metalmickey Read Only Funster

I ise vodaphone and that works fine.:thumb:

14. Camporbust

Camporbust Read Only Funster

I reckon the 02 girl is misleading you somewhat.
    WIFI is a completely different animal from 2G\3G dongles. The former is a short range means of communication using a signal from a wireless router. The latter is long range using the signal from mobile phone transmitters. The two use different frequencies, are not compatible and cannot interfere with or block each other.

If you are seeing KEEZONE then you are not looking at your dongle software, but at your WIFI adaptor, which aint going to work too well!

You must also check coverage at your location on the 02 website. Don't forget that even if 3G is poor or not available, your dongle will drop back to using the 2G (slower) network.

15. Camporbust

I'd like to know about KEEZONE / btphon too! Having a Vodafone dongle I wouldn't pay the silly CC or CCC rates for WIFI, but if btphon / openzone works as a KEEZONE option that would be great.

The BT USB dongle is a 2G/3G affair using the Vodafone network and is nothing to do with btphon. BT confuse everyone with the btphon / openzone / broadband branding.

16. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

This BTfonezone or whatever it is, is a weird one ..

About 4 months ago I was running checks on perimeter boundaries and suddenly up came the bt thing.. Massive signal almost everywhere in the area but not a soul that I know of have managed to access it.
    On top of that I have yet to trace the source ( and believe me, like a good many radio hams I have some fairly wicked kit for doing just this ! )

17. iceni

iceni Read Only Funster

i think as the adverts say the CC is 'avin a larf' with the prices they charge for wi fi internet access. They usually have a repeater on the site to give good coverage but sometimes its still crap.

Like most other replys have said buy a dongle and use that.

18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We use a dongle because that is most cost effective for us but it might not be for other people.

CC are only charging market prices for the WiFi service which is available for them to offer. Blame the providers (Kezone & BT) for the prices.

Graham

19. Camporbust

I don't know if this is new or not but this Months CCC mag says their WIFI price has been rehashed. £5 for 1 hour total or 1G i think. This is usable across all of their of sites so, for those who just want a few E-Mails and a bit of surfing this seems a lot more reasonable.
    They also say that BT openzone can be used at their sites so that is good for those with Btbroadband freebie time.
    Still not sure if this is the same at CC sites.

20. nannas-boy

Is it true that a vodaphone dongle would give us a better chance of picking up a signal than this 02 dongle that we have just bought ( which gives us absolutely nothing!!)? Do vodaphone have a bigger or better mast?