wi-fi on caravan club sites (1 Viewer)

nannas-boy

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Funster No
Has anyone else had trouble getting wi-fi on Caravan club sites? We are at the 3rd site now that advertises wi-fi, and again its a hit and miss situation . We have bought the kezone cards and for the 3rd time I have spent my time walking round the site looking for the best spot to try and pick up a signal? Is it only us that has this trouble?

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Lots, on and off, way back to VW splitty`s!
On a CC site now and no sign of wifi, nothing showing on `available networks`, so went into town and bought a dongle from the O2 shop.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just as with any WiFi installation, those at CC sites can be affected by buildings, trees etc.

Before buying a dongle we used WiFi at Abbey Wood in London and at Edinburgh. In both cases I enquired when I booked in and the warden advised the best pitches to try - and to check whether we could pick up a signal with the laptop before buying the Kezone card.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We use our 3 or vodafone dongles fairly cheap to run and one or the other gets a signal in uk

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
laneside

Not the caravan club site but we were at the camping and caravan club site at Delamere in February where they have a new system installed.

The cost was £4.00 per hour or £7.00 per day, the signal was almost none existant and the wardens although sympathetic were not in a position to offer refunds.

At these exhorbitant prices please buy a dongle and make them realise that they have got it completely wrong.

Cheers Alan

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I got a good signal on the York site, just will not pay for it.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
wi fi

hi guys,we never rely on wi-fi on site .we bought a dongle,as someone said it doesnt seem that expensive and its never let us down yet:thumb: regards brian jo & josh:winky:

OP
OP
N

nannas-boy

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Funster No
We went out and bought a dongle from 02 shop, we got back to cc site and tried it but it didn't work. the only network it was showing was kezone. Off we went back to the 02 shop and the girl advised us that maybe the club sites put a block on other networks so that you have to buy the kezone. We are a bit new to the internet so not sure if this is possible that they can block picking up other networks?

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
When staying at the Edinburgh CC site recently we noticed the Wifi sign and enquired about it - £5 per hour was the cost so we decided just to use our Vodaphone dongle and had brilliant reception plus many hours on the net and in the chat room for a few pence!

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi. I think you need to setup the dongle with some software which should be provided. Might be best to switch your WiFi off as the dongle will not be using it. I use a '3' dongle, coverage at some sites is OK at others nothing but you can check on the providers web site to see if the area you are in is covered.

I also use the dongle when at home as my only internet conection

Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nannas-boy

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Funster No
Wonder if a vodaphone dongle is a better option than the 02 one that we bought? In the end we have had to buy kezone so that we can use the internet. Has anyone had better results with vodaphone? i feel like taking this 02 one back but we cant be sure that its the dongle thats the problem .

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
I use BTbroadband who offer btfon service for free ( and some continental services ?)

I was informed that you can us the btphon service on CC sites for free, does anyone know if this true ?

Also

BT now offers a USB dongle that seems to be btphon compatiable, has anyone used the service ?

Rgds

Camporbust

Free Member
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
We went out and bought a dongle from 02 shop, we got back to cc site and tried it but it didn't work. the only network it was showing was kezone. Off we went back to the 02 shop and the girl advised us that maybe the club sites put a block on other networks so that you have to buy the kezone. We are a bit new to the internet so not sure if this is possible that they can block picking up other networks?
I reckon the 02 girl is misleading you somewhat.
WIFI is a completely different animal from 2G\3G dongles. The former is a short range means of communication using a signal from a wireless router. The latter is long range using the signal from mobile phone transmitters. The two use different frequencies, are not compatible and cannot interfere with or block each other.

If you are seeing KEEZONE then you are not looking at your dongle software, but at your WIFI adaptor, which aint going to work too well!

You must also check coverage at your location on the 02 website. Don't forget that even if 3G is poor or not available, your dongle will drop back to using the 2G (slower) network.

Camporbust

Free Member
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
I use BTbroadband who offer btfon service for free ( and some continental services ?)

I was informed that you can us the btphon service on CC sites for free, does anyone know if this true ?

Also

BT now offers a USB dongle that seems to be btphon compatiable, has anyone used the service ?

Rgds
I'd like to know about KEEZONE / btphon too! Having a Vodafone dongle I wouldn't pay the silly CC or CCC rates for WIFI, but if btphon / openzone works as a KEEZONE option that would be great.

The BT USB dongle is a 2G/3G affair using the Vodafone network and is nothing to do with btphon. BT confuse everyone with the btphon / openzone / broadband branding.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
This BTfonezone or whatever it is, is a weird one ..

About 4 months ago I was running checks on perimeter boundaries and suddenly up came the bt thing.. Massive signal almost everywhere in the area but not a soul that I know of have managed to access it.
On top of that I have yet to trace the source ( and believe me, like a good many radio hams I have some fairly wicked kit for doing just this ! )

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
i think as the adverts say the CC is 'avin a larf' with the prices they charge for wi fi internet access. They usually have a repeater on the site to give good coverage but sometimes its still crap.

Like most other replys have said buy a dongle and use that.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
i think as the adverts say the CC is 'avin a larf' with the prices they charge for wi fi internet access. They usually have a repeater on the site to give good coverage but sometimes its still crap.

Like most other replys have said buy a dongle and use that.
We use a dongle because that is most cost effective for us but it might not be for other people.

CC are only charging market prices for the WiFi service which is available for them to offer. Blame the providers (Kezone & BT) for the prices.

Graham

Camporbust

Free Member
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
I don't know if this is new or not but this Months CCC mag says their WIFI price has been rehashed. £5 for 1 hour total or 1G i think. This is usable across all of their of sites so, for those who just want a few E-Mails and a bit of surfing this seems a lot more reasonable.
They also say that BT openzone can be used at their sites so that is good for those with Btbroadband freebie time.
Still not sure if this is the same at CC sites.

OP
OP
N

nannas-boy

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Funster No
Is it true that a vodaphone dongle would give us a better chance of picking up a signal than this 02 dongle that we have just bought ( which gives us absolutely nothing!!)? Do vodaphone have a bigger or better mast?

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Lots, on and off, way back to VW splitty`s!
It`s all going to depend on where you are. It`s just a phone signal, if you get a good signal on your mobile, with Vodaphone, you will get a good signal on the dongle. Same with O2.

Maybe best to buy both or all that are available and use whichever one is best at the time/venue. If I am only using mine for the odd weekend away I buy the minimum time at £2 for 24 hours.

ocsid

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Funster No
Mention has been made of using BTfon on CC sites. I have a BTfon account and it does not work with the CC Kezone.

What I was able to do was use my BT Openzone account on CC sites as they have a "partnership" agreement.

However I only had an Openzone account as a complimentary "add-on" to my BT Broadband account for eighteen months. This was an enticement to join BT Broadband but was not renewed FOC after the 18 month initial contract expired. As a casual non commercial user buying into Openzone was far too expensive.

I now use a non expiring Vodafone dongle for light duty internet work in the UK, and also my BTfon/BTBroadband WiFi for more intensive use if out and about in locations such as Starbucks etc.

The CC's Kezone might well be competitive to other WiFi providers networks but all these are directly focused at the commercial user. I suggest this is wholly off target for the casual user needs of CC members who by and large just want to service emails, check banking or do a bit of web research about their locality etc. Clearly if the CC member wants to download the evenings entertainment it becomes a different issue, but a simple time or data cap could ensure these pay the necessary premium for the system they need.

Sorry CC and C&CC but you have brought into the wrong packages for your membership's needs. A case of taking the easy option, being a cosseted employee and not a user understanding what is required. And even what you have brought has in my experience given patchy overall site coverage, so even that's off target and poor value.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)
The CC's Kezone might well be competitive to other WiFi providers networks but all these are directly focused at the commercial user. I suggest this is wholly off target for the casual user needs of CC members who by and large just want to service emails, check banking or do a bit of web research about their locality etc. Clearly if the CC member wants to download the evenings entertainment it becomes a different issue, but a simple time or data cap could ensure these pay the necessary premium for the system they need.

Sorry CC and C&CC but you have brought into the wrong packages for your membership's needs. A case of taking the easy option, being a cosseted employee and not a user understanding what is required.

Point taken - but what other options did CC/C&CC have when they implemented the networks?

Graham

ocsid

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Funster No
Point taken - but what other options did CC/C&CC have when they implemented the networks?

Graham

Well I dont know to what extent they talked out the issue with the range of suppliers out there; a single transponder giving near reception coverage would meet a lot of users needs and would be a fraction of the infrastructure cost of the supposed overall site coverage they opted for? Some provider would be willing to undercut for the business, unless its an illegal cartel?

An easy solution is to provide a domestic BT line to the wardens hut/van/motorhome and that opting to have BTfon. No different to what I provide in my street. Just think what a good BT sales ploy that would be in getting CC members to opt to BT Broadband for their home use, so as to get free WiFi when out camping!

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Well I dont know to what extent they talked out the issue with the range of suppliers out there; a single transponder giving near reception coverage would meet a lot of users needs and would be a fraction of the infrastructure cost of the supposed overall site coverage they opted for? Some provider would be willing to undercut for the business, unless its an illegal cartel?

I don't know, either, what range of suppliers they talked to - worth asking them do you think? The fact that the two clubs, independently, came up with similar solutions suggests that there weren't other providers willing to do so.

An easy solution is to provide a domestic BT line to the wardens hut/van/motorhome and that opting to have BTfon. No different to what I provide in my street. Just think what a good BT sales ploy that would be in getting CC members to opt to BT Broadband for their home use, so as to get free WiFi when out camping!

Yes, it would be easy but it would be a definite no no wouldn't it :Smile: Immediate breach of contract for a commercial organisation to take out a domestic contract and then use it for commercial purposes :Smile:

Graham

ocsid

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Funster No
Yes, it would be easy but it would be a definite no no wouldn't it :Smile: Immediate breach of contract for a commercial organisation to take out a domestic contract and then use it for commercial purposes :Smile:

Graham

So the occasional reps sat outside my house using my domestic "Openzone" could present issues; never thought of that as a threat and wonder how BT ever thought it would handle that situation.:Smile:

Yes your probably right but its a solution with near zero cost and with a massive potential gain to BT as a persuasive argument in members opting for BT's home Broadband. So BT ought be the last to get up tight if it was done.

I am sure most of the smaller Continental sites offering free WiFi by the reception lodge/bar are doing exactly that, piggybacking on the sites/dwelling's phone line.

I just feel that both clubs were/are completely unfocused on what is needed and tramrailed down a commercially oriented route thus effectively giving the mobile broadband providers a boost. Its not as if the chosen system even works that well in some sites.
Maybe it was seen as a mutual revenue stream but I doubt if its proving to be for the CC or Kezone, if my experiences and views of its effectiveness and cost are held by others.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So the occasional reps sat outside my house using my domestic "Openzone" could present issues; never thought of that as a threat and wonder how BT ever thought it would handle that situation.:Smile:
The fact that they act illegally is hardly a recommendation is it :Smile: As an aside and as a former DP officer I would always recommend security which stopped them using a private network anyway.:Smile:

Yes your probably right but its a solution with near zero cost and with a massive potential gain to BT as a persuasive argument in members opting for BT's home Broadband. So BT ought be the last to get up tight if it was done.
Given that the C&CC use a BT product, wouldn't one think that BT would have offered the alternative if they were interested? Wouldn't they have persuaded the CC to use BT instead of Kezone for the same reasons?

I am sure most of the smaller Continental sites offering free WiFi by the reception lodge/bar are doing exactly that, piggybacking on the sites/dwelling's phone line.
I'm sure many in this country are as well but would members of the CC/C&CC be happy for them to act in breach of contract?

I just feel that both clubs were/are completely unfocused on what is needed and tramrailed down a commercially oriented route thus effectively giving the mobile broadband providers a boost. Its not as if the chosen system even works that well in some sites.
Maybe it was seen as a mutual revenue stream but I doubt if its proving to be for the CC or Kezone, if my experiences and views of its effectiveness and cost are held by others.
The other point to remember is that the two networks were installed (in response to member demand) before the price of mobile dongles started to drop and became affordable for so many of us.

I have no idea whether the networks are run at a profit or loss - you would have to ask the clubs.

Graham

Bevis on wheels

Free Member
Jan 18, 2008
near Sheffield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years but travelled for years
wifi on caravan club sites

Lots of places across Europe have free wi fi including a favourite site of ours in Greece. Kaysersberg in France operates a scheme where you go to the tourist office and they give you an access number for free wi fi.
The prices charged for wi fi at sites here are ridiculous.... How many of us on this site are members of both clubs? Can't we do something about it?
Otherwise- use a vodaphone dongle ( it's worked most places we've visited at home and abroad for us) or go to Wetherspoons and have a pint and free internet access...................
and if pubs can do it...Link Removed

Last edited:

ocsid

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Funster No
The fact that they act illegally is hardly a recommendation is it :Smile: As an aside and as a former DP officer I would always recommend security which stopped them using a private network anyway.:Smile:
Graham

How can using the the BT "Openzone" hotspot provided by me opting into the BTfon scheme be illegal?
That is exactly what the scheme offers; you let your modem bi fricate to provide a separate public access "Openzone" hot spot, in return to being able to use everyone else's within the scheme plus all the normal Openzone hotspots.

It does not connect to my network as the modem has split into two separate channels; Had long discussions with BT on the security issues with this and they say is absolutely not connected .

Seems a purpose made solution, so I agree why did BT and the CC not go that route?

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
the BT Fon stuff is on a seperate subnet inside your router so as you say it cannot connect to your other subnet UNLESS the router also does internal routing and it is switched on. Often called IP Alias in the router setups.

If a warden has a BT dsl and chooses to operate the BT Fon hotspot then why would it be illegal for the rest of the BT Fon users to be able to log on to it. If they choose to let anyone to log on or 'forget' to use the security on the router then anyone can log on and it has been suggested that prosecution could be difficult as its up to you to secure your own network....the only drawback may be that you will have your line capped because of excessive usage....

The full fat BT and Kezone wifi will be uncapped and cost more because of this but not that much and TBH BT run the bloody thing so they can charge as little or as much as they like and who's going to argue?

<cynical mode :eek:n>
However whilst people keep using it and they will keep providing it and if people can't get a refund if it doesn't work then they have just made 100% profit...why would they want it to work perfectly...<cynical mode:eek:ff>

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back