wi fi on a five van site

Discussion in 'Web Connections' started by dylan, Aug 26, 2013.

1. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Funsters over the years have always been helpful so here we go with another question
    How important is wi fi to you when staying on a CS/CL, do you go there to get away from it all or do you still want access to the internet ?
    Would you be willing to pay a small amount for wifi or do you expect it free?
    Any comments would be helpful, just had an estimate for installation and would like to know your views.
    Thank you
    Eileen

2. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

Hi there ,some like to drink ,some like to smoke ,and some like to go on line,i am one that likes to go online so me i,m happy to pay a couple of pounds a day.lol:RollEyes:

• Like Like x 4
  3. lorger

lorger Funster

If we are away for the weekend then Wifi isn't that important although if it was reasonably priced I would use it. If our daughter Sophie who is 16 came with us it would be a must :Rofl1:

While on holiday this summer we had wifi at several locations and the 3 campsites we used where all free, so came in really handy for keeping in touch back home.

4. brynric

brynric Funster

We use the net for all sorts from weather forecasts to the newspapers so we enjoy Internet access.
    Having said that many areas have good 3G access so we wouldn't pay extra for specific wifi if that was available.

5. philw111

philw111 Funster

We booked a week at a CL this summer and the free WiFi was the most exciting thing about it for our 14 year old daughter (until we got there and she discovered the shetland ponies).

Personally I wouldn't be bothered either way.

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

An internet connection is an essential part of life now.

Looking for good weather must load the internet at many a site.

I'd have thought you could do it for coppers on a cl. One £25 WiFi extender and a bit of wire.

• Like Like x 1
  7. catspyjamas

catspyjamas Funster

The availability of wifi would make me choose one site in preference to another. That said, I'd only use it if it was free or a very nominal amount. :Smile:

• Like Like x 3
  8. Terry

Terry Funster

I would do as Brian says using your home router and make sure you are on a unlimited tariff :thumb: people are bound to start downloading films etc:Wink:
    Terry
    BTs home hub lets people who subscribe to there network log onto the wifi for free if they are near enough to get a signal from anyones router ie pull up outside a row of houses there is bound to be someone with a bt hub

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  9. maz

maz Funster

If a site has good 3 network mobile broadband reception, then I'm happy to use my dongle (costs me around £2 per week). If not, then free (or no more than £2 per week) wi-fi would be a deciding factor for me. :Smile:

10. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

If there's free wi-fi......I usually use it.

If not....I use my 3G dongle.

If I can't get 3G and I need a connection for work, I'll pay for wi-fi. The C&CC often do £2 for 24 hours (500MB download cap I think), or a better deal for more days.

(Edit:£2 for 24 hours seems pretty expensive compared to a PAYG 3G dongle if all you're doing is checking your email and checking out motorhomefun.co.uk so I'd probably pass unless I needed it for work and couldn't get a decent 3G signal.)

There's probably going to be a fixed download cap from the ISP, which will cost to increase, or maybe a soft limit that will start costing the site when (not if) visitors decide to make the most of their £x for 24 hours.

So either the site offers no download limit and has to cover greedy visitors by charging everyone more, or usually there has to be some software/hardware in place to cap each visitor's downloads. I'm guessing that's the bit that costs but might be necessary to stop one motorhome ruining access speeds for everyone else.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  11. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

quote: I'd have thought you could do it for coppers on a cl. One £25 WiFi extender and a bit of wire.

Told this will not cover the site, a good job quote was £300 which we thought reasonable but small van sites don't make much money hence the question

12. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

just a minor point to consider....

selling on part of your broadband connection is a breach of T&Cs for most residential customers. as its only a 5 van site, a simple wireless extender will work in most cases. either dont charge or put the per night cost up to include FREE wifi.... just dont charge for it specifically

getting in commercial broadband is an expensive exercise

• Like Like x 1
  13. ukbill

ukbill Funster

14. spitfire

spitfire Funster

Me too :Smile: especially as I am ' abroad ' when in UK !!

15. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

For us having wi-fi makes all the difference especially with 2 young boys.:thumb:

However in Uk If I have a 3G signal on my iPhone (3 Network) I just tether that with all our devices. If there is w-ifi on site it means we don't all have to connect through my phone alone.

Wi-fi is definitely a positive, but only if it's for free or a reasonably moderate cost. These £5 a day rip offs we never touch, equivalent to £150 a month, they are having a laugh.....

:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We normally use our MiFi wherever we go.

I would be wary about using a "home" type broadband contract for business use as some providers can (I understand) get a bit uppity if they find out (as they might well do as a result of increased/heavy use).

• Like Like x 1
  17. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Customers can use free wifi outside my cottage but we were thinking of having it available on each pitch which is a distance away from the cottage.
    Didn't know that you couldn't make a nominal charge from your home conection so thanks for that

18. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

Shetland Ponies have that effect on me:Rofl1:

but Wi fi is usefull:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  19. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

Mine (PlusNet) definately doesn't allow residential broadband to be used for any kind of business use, and I'm not willing to risk testing their (or any other ISP's) detection abilities out, so I pay for a business connection. I suspect my monthly business upload/download amounts are probably less than some people use watching iPlayer in a few days :Angry:

20. Viennese

Viennese Funster

Me too...
    Catherine