wi fi in france

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by sb8263, May 4, 2014.

1. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

have got a 3 modem that works great in UK,,but will it workin france ? if not what do you all use please ?:Sad:

2. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

I have an SFR mifi when I am in France, good coverage, but dont use it to watch TV eats bandwidth...

There are a lot of funsters who know a lot more than I...They will be along soon...

3. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Do you really mean wifi, or do you mean mifi? If the 3 modem works on the 3 network then the answer is yes it will work, but it will cost you a fortune in data charges.

4. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

what is best to use ??? it works through 3 network and we just use for lap top....:Sad:

5. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

get the modem or the mifi unlocked then you can choose a sim to suit the country you are visiting. that way it avoids massive bills for data roaming

just a point though, the old usb plug in dongle modems are very slow compared to using a mifi and another benefit is you can use it as a hotspot for multiple devices including laptops, phones and tablets. all can connect simultaneously just as you would at home

the best deals for european sims at the moment seem to be 3Euro per day paid only on days you use them

6. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

A EuropaSim - 3 Euros per day for 500Gb per day. And you only pay on the days you use it. Can be used all over Europe. www.motorhomewifi.com. Be quick, they only have a few left

• Like Like x 1
  7. chrissyvine

chrissyvine Read Only Funster

Look for an Unlocked Mi-fi in the UK (believe Motorhome Wi-fi sell them). Not cheap, around £60/70 but you can then buy a sim in whichever country you are visiting, inclluding UK. I wish I'd known this before I came abroad as I bought a French Orange mi-fi and then a Spanish one and now, in Portugal I have a TMN dongle !!!:cry:

8. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

Now that would be a good deal! ;) I'm sure you meant 500MB/day :thumb:

You can get your Three MiFi unlocked, but if you do make sure you know how to manually configure the APN settings since this will be required for foreign SIM's and the EuropaSIM if you consider it.

Three MiFi's usually carry branded firmware (the operating system) which can sometimes make this tricky. However once unlocked there is some info here that might help:
    http://www.wizadora.com/e5331.pdf

All the best,

Adam

9. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Just got my europasim. It's working fine, in fact I'm using it now, even though I'm at home. The signal is only 1bar but the speed is good.:Smile:
    Quite chuffed with my purchase. I only bought the sim as I already have an unlocked Huawei E5332.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Voyger1010

Voyger1010 Funster

Huawei E5332 Unlocked Mobile Wi-Fi Modem from amazon and a Mobi-data sim which give Europe and world coverage see http://mobi-data.co.uk/eu-coverage.php
    Seems to work very well and can connect up to 8-10 devices, as the modem acts as a hotspot, so really great for laptop , kindle etc:Smile:

11. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

bought one the other day with europa sim,,,,80 odd quid for both,,,,it arrived on tuesday......:thumb:

12. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Not sure I have got this right, but it seems that they charge 15p per Mb when you are abroad. Is that correct? If so it could turn out very expensive.

Also do they allow tethering on their SIMs please.

13. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

Don't forget you can manually change mobile networks with the EuropaSIM. Simply turn off automatic connection (and make sure the E5332 is in a disconnected state) and then enable Manual Network selection. You can then connect to any network not listed as 'forbidden'. :thumb:

14. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

thanks,,,just got to get my sim registerd now then i will be up and running,,,just need to find out how to register it.....:Smile:

15. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

Find a local café/bar with free WiFi and use that.

That's what we did in Spain last year.

16. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

The advantage of the Huawei E5332 over some of the others is that it has an external aerial socket. I purchased a directional antenna for it from ebay for around a tenner which boosts the signal considerably if its a bit borderline.

17. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I have set mine up as per your instructions provided with the SIM, ie manual connection and APN set to mobile.vodafone.it.
    I assume it will automatically use the strongest signal, so please what is the advantage of manually selecting the provider?

18. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

You might find one signal is stronger, but another has better backhaul and gives you a much better service in a particular location. How many times on your phone have you got full bars, but don't seem to be able to squeeze any bytes down the line?

19. Voyger1010

Voyger1010 Funster

The modem with the data-sim in it acts as a personal hotspot and you can connect up to 10 wireless devices( laptops , kindle etc)
    Interestingly I found this

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/mobile-phone/3364292/roaming-data-pre-paid-sim-cards-explained/

which makes interesting reading especially as they are supposed to be capping roaming charges in Europe in July.
    In answer to your other 15p question you will find these comparison pages helpful

http://mobi-data.co.uk/eu-saving.php
    http://mobi-data.co.uk/world-wide-saving.php
    Anyway I hope this is useful.:Smile:

20. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

As a side issue, when does the new EU regulations come in about roaming charges?