Wi Fi in France (1 Viewer)

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
I have one of the Vodaphone Pay As You Go dongles for use in the UK and am very pleased with it as it gives you access to 3G without the hassle and expense of a monthly top up. Question is will this dongle work in France and is so is it expensive to use .If not is there a French equivalent PAYG dongle .
Thanks in advance

Baggins

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
My BT dongle is first class in UK but proved almost COMPLETELY useless in France/Italy/Spain even though it purported to be connected (roaming) and used up all my credit at a very fast pace without downloading at all.
Suggest trying to obtain local Sim if possible or buy daily/monthly Orange connection while traveling.
Or for the price of a nice hot chocolate the ubiquitous McDonalds fits the bill.

BW

BW

gogocrosby

Free Member
Apr 2, 2009
Morpeth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
12 years
We use the free WEE FEE all the time in France at Mc D's we never go in though, the signal generally extends to about 25 metres around the building

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have one of the Vodaphone Pay As You Go dongles for use in the UK and am very pleased with it as it gives you access to 3G without the hassle and expense of a monthly top up.

Are you sure about that ?

I've been looking for a dongle that does not time out but Vodafone does state "And when your credit runs out (or your 30 days are up)".

I've a 3G dongle and never use all the bytes before it times out. At the NY meet I couldn't even get a signal so I'll lose all of my tenner for nothing.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Vodafone PAYG Broadband is £15 per GB with no expiry. The only proviso is that you must logon at least once every 3 months

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Vodafone PAYG Broadband is £15 per GB with no expiry. The only proviso is that you must logon at least once every 3 months

I'm blowed if I can find that deal. This is what I find....

Link Removed

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Vodafone changed the Dongle deal on 26th Dec to put a 30 day limit on it, but upped the download from 1Gb to 3Gb for £15

It is possible there are some of the old Dongles in the shops on the old unlimited deal- they are the ones without the suffix 'R' after the no.

Geoff

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Vodafone changed the Dongle deal on 26th Dec to put a 30 day limit on it, but upped the download from 1Gb to 3Gb for £15
Geoff

Thanks Geoff. More creeping inflation.

They do have them on the Tesco web site but I'll not bother - UK only and 50% more than 3 for a top up.

90joe

Free Member
Nov 26, 2008
Funster No
Just back from France this weekend .Vodaphone pay as you go worked fine,But cost £15.00 for 30 mins usage.Go to a Mac Donalds and some Bars. Joe :Smile:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Vodafone bb £15 for 1gb no expiry sims are still available on ebay if you have an unlocked dongle

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Vodafone bb £15 for 1gb no expiry sims are still available on ebay if you have an unlocked dongle

I've just paid £8 for one - with £15 credit.

Can't be bad - thank you.

Now to find unlock software for my 3 dongle.

S

S&J

Deleted User
I have one of the Vodaphone Pay As You Go dongles for use in the UK and am very pleased with it as it gives you access to 3G without the hassle and expense of a monthly top up. Question is will this dongle work in France and is so is it expensive to use .If not is there a French equivalent PAYG dongle .
Thanks in advance

It is really confusing at the moment regarding whether Vodafone PAYG will work at all when roaming. I tried to buy an SFR dongle in France in 2009 but when it came to the final transaction they wouldn't let me have one because they wouldn't link it to a UK credit card..
Link Removed This had advice about using mobile broadband abroad but it changes all the time but worth keeping an eye on it.

This is a possible alternative but linked to population centres
http://www.trustive.com/

Big issue about mobile broadband abroad I guess is that the coverage is linked to the centres of population and therefore phone coverage and thereby mobile broadband coverage is going to be more patchy than in th UK which has a "denser" population!!

Steve

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Brian,