Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
This might be useful to travellers plaqued with high roaming internet costs abroad.

full web address is

http://www.tepwireless.com/

WiFi rental service Tep aims to cut international roaming charges

June 8, 2011
Smartphone and pocket WiFi rental service Tep has launched, claiming to save consumers up to 90 percent on their mobile phone roaming charges and WiFi usage.

The service has been launched this week across 16 countries in Europe, to coincide with the summer holiday season.
The service involves renting a small Tep WiFi device which can be plugged directly into a user’s phone, acting as a portable Wi-Fi hotspot, charged at local, rather than international, prices.
Alternatively, they can rent a Tep smartphone, providing access to the same service.
Powered by 3G networks with instant access to Facebook, Twitter and Skype, the service has been launched to provide an alternative to potentially expensive roaming and data download charges from mobile operators, which can cost the same as a flight.

Charging local prices, the devices are rented via Tep’s website and can be delivered direct to the customers home or hotel, or picked up at the airport. Customers return the rented phone by post, using a prepaid envelope, and all personal data is erased from the device

“At long last there is an alternative to the extortionately expensive mobile phone roaming charges and the hassle of finding WiFi internet connections abroad,” said Tep founder Tomas Mendoza. “No longer will travellers across Europe be held hostage by mobile phone operators making excessive profits out of the simple need of travellers to use their phones and stay connected.

“Travellers want to use their smartphones to find restaurants and information about places to visit. Many simply want to keep in touch and share their experiences with friends and family at home via Facebook or other social media, but are being charged more than the cost of their flight to do so,” he continued.

“Renting a Tep smartphone or pocket WiFi device will be become as commonplace as booking a hire car or a flight. It’s simple, convenient and can save hundreds if not thousands of pounds.

“With the number of broadband enabled mobile phone hitting the one billion mark this year, and with 70 percent of all consumer devices connected to the internet by 2014, Tep is providing a service that will allow consumers to get the most out of these devices, rather than being prevented from using them by profit-hungry operators,” Mendoza said

'WiFi rental' service bids to beat data roaming fees

Author: By Brad Girtz | 08 June 2011
A new rental service for smartphones and 'pocket WiFi hotspots' is promising to end European roaming charges.
Customers who use a rented Tep smartphone or mobile WiFi device are only charged local prices for data usage and calls, rather than incurring huge roaming fees.
The company claims this can save customers up to 90% on their data roaming charges and can completely eliminate the need to pay for exorbitant hotel WiFi.
“At long last there is an alternative to the extortionately expensive mobile phone roaming charges and the hassle of finding WiFi internet connections abroad,” said Tep founder Tomas Mendoza.
“No longer will travellers across Europe be held hostage by mobile phone operators making excessive profits out of the simple need of travellers to use their phones and stay connected."
Each Tep device comes with a prepaid envelope so it can be sent back from any post box. Currently the service covers 16 European countries and company officials say it is prepared to handle the summer travel season.

ShareThis

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
This looks quite interesting and thanks for posting the info but I have just wasted ten minutes of my life trying to find out one thing...

"HOW MUCH does it cost?"

When a company seems so intent on keeping the cost from you until you have jumped through a line of hoops I don't trust them...

JJ

PS. of course the price might up there in big bold writing and I have missed it... that has happened before!

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
You have to click on "tep me" on their website but here is a a list of the prices, on second reading doesnt seem THAT cheap.

tep pocket wifi Vs. international data roaming rates

What is your country of residence? United Kingdom
Select where are you travelling to?France

Consumption Tep UK international data roaming Savings with Tep

50 MB 250 emails or 100 web pages £34.95 £105.00 £70.05

100 MB 500 emails or 200 web pages £49.95 £210.00 £160.05

* The average smartphone user consumes 10 MB per day. For comparison purpose the price displayed in the 50 MB row is the 5 day rental (10 MB * 5days) and in the 100 MB row is the 10 day rental (10 MB * 10 days).
* Please note all prices may be subject to changes.

pocket wifi rental plans

The plans below are just examples. Rentals pans are available for as long and short as you wish. Tep services are pay as you go, which means that they are no contracts or bills at the end.

There are unlimited internet plans available.

Select your destination France

Price plans include

3 Days £25.00 (£8.33 per day) (France) - Unlimited Internet

5 Days £34.95 (£6.99 per day) (France) - Unlimited Internet

10 Days £49.50 (£4.95 per day) (France) - Unlimited Internet

cost after 30 days is £2 a day

30 Days £74.95 (£2.50 per day) Unlimited Internet

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
does not seem that cheap to me

OK it may be cheap to some, but not to me. I have got services on French sites cheaper..

Hard work getting the prices as JJ said.

But thanks for the info.. all info is power.

Bob:Eeek:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
This was on BBC click a few weeks ago. I had a look and it works out quite expensive still :(

In the Sunday Times it says the EU is working on bringing roaming charges down so that they are close to if not the same as your normal charges:thumb:. Now that would be great. Not due to come into force until next July though if memory serves.:cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back