Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We are planning to travel a lot more and for longer periods after my wife retires later on, both at home and abroad, I assume wi fi is the way to go, if so, is it any use buying a wi fi booster to fit to the M/H, any good?, if so, what one is recommended to use if any,and what have other people done to make wi fi use easier when travelling please, any info appreciated.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you type booster into the search box you'll get 11 pages on boosters, this is far more than the replies you will get direct on this new thread.

The general consensus is that they are well worth the money.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi . I started with a mifi (unlocked) in this country very good but odd places needs a booster,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Been using one of these I bought from Amazon for 2 years - weighs nothing and has a holster with a small suction cup, so you can just stick it on the van window. :thumb:

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alfa-AWUS036H-Upgraded-Wireless-Long-Rang/dp/B000WXSO76/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1359823464&sr=8-15"]Alfa AWUS036H Upgraded to 1000mW 1W 802.11b: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics[/ame]

Use it almost everywhere when travelling.

Mike

OP
OP
injebreck99

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Been using one of these I bought from Amazon for 2 years - weighs nothing and has a holster with a small suction cup, so you can just stick it on the van window. :thumb:

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alfa-AWUS036H-Upgraded-Wireless-Long-Rang/dp/B000WXSO76/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1359823464&sr=8-15"]Alfa AWUS036H Upgraded to 1000mW 1W 802.11b: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics[/ame]

Mike[/QUOTE
I would like to use it with my Apple tablet I have just bought, it does not have a CD drive, does this unit install with a CD??

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009

Link Removed

Mike[/QUOTE
I would like to use it with my Apple tablet I have just bought, it does not have a CD drive, does this unit install with a CD??

I'm not great on techie stuff, but when I bought it my son helped install a bit of software on my netbook (Windows XP - no hard drive) which he downloaded off the net. However, when I got a new laptop with Windows 7, it just worked - 'plug & play', nothing to install.

Afraid I've no idea about an Apple tablet? Does it have a USB socket - I think that could be a problem if not.

Sorry I can't offer much more guidance.

Mike

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Giving it some more thought, I reckon it probably isn't compatible with Apple, unfortunately. And I'm sure it would mention Apple in the advert spec if it was. :Sad:

Mike

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Motorhome WiFi

We bought an iBoost system from Adam @ MotorhomeWiFi. This is an aerial with a router that provides a local wireless network that you can log onto.

This means you can use devices without USB ports i.e. iPhone, iPad and similar instead of being stuck using a laptop.

The bonus? If you are paying for WiFi on a campsite you only pay once to connect the iBoost and not for each device. If you camp with friends you can share the connection with them ::bigsmile:

You will still have to search out free wifi sites but you won't have to park as close!!

That said I'm still going to get a MiFi so I can reduce the mobile costs when I can't find a WiFi network - this uses the 3G network and uses a prepaid sim - making it MUCH cheaper than using your UK sim when abroad.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I use a WiFi booster, and when I can't pick up either an open signal, or a BT Hub signal (FON and Openzone), I then revert to the MiFi with a T Mobile sim card installed, and get my internet for 50p a day. ::bigsmile:

Cheers,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back