Wi Fi Boosters

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by injebreck99, Feb 2, 2013.

1. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

We are planning to travel a lot more and for longer periods after my wife retires later on, both at home and abroad, I assume wi fi is the way to go, if so, is it any use buying a wi fi booster to fit to the M/H, any good?, if so, what one is recommended to use if any,and what have other people done to make wi fi use easier when travelling please, any info appreciated.

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

If you type booster into the search box you'll get 11 pages on boosters, this is far more than the replies you will get direct on this new thread.

The general consensus is that they are well worth the money.

• Like Like x 1
  3. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi . I started with a mifi (unlocked) in this country very good but odd places needs a booster,

• Like Like x 1
  4. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Been using one of these I bought from Amazon for 2 years - weighs nothing and has a holster with a small suction cup, so you can just stick it on the van window. :thumb:

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alfa-AWUS036H-Upgraded-Wireless-Long-Rang/dp/B000WXSO76/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1359823464&sr=8-15"]Alfa AWUS036H Upgraded to 1000mW 1W 802.11b: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics[/ame]

Use it almost everywhere when travelling.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  5. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

6. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

7. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Giving it some more thought, I reckon it probably isn't compatible with Apple, unfortunately. And I'm sure it would mention Apple in the advert spec if it was. :Sad:

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  8. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

to save you trawling through all the posts about this subject I reckon these people could have what you are after www.motorhomewifi.com

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sidney

Sidney Funster

Motorhome WiFi

We bought an iBoost system from Adam @ MotorhomeWiFi. This is an aerial with a router that provides a local wireless network that you can log onto.

This means you can use devices without USB ports i.e. iPhone, iPad and similar instead of being stuck using a laptop.

The bonus? If you are paying for WiFi on a campsite you only pay once to connect the iBoost and not for each device. If you camp with friends you can share the connection with them :BigGrin:

You will still have to search out free wifi sites but you won't have to park as close!!

That said I'm still going to get a MiFi so I can reduce the mobile costs when I can't find a WiFi network - this uses the 3G network and uses a prepaid sim - making it MUCH cheaper than using your UK sim when abroad.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

I use a WiFi booster, and when I can't pick up either an open signal, or a BT Hub signal (FON and Openzone), I then revert to the MiFi with a T Mobile sim card installed, and get my internet for 50p a day. :BigGrin:

Cheers,

Jock.

• Like Like x 1