Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Those funsters who attended the Marjal rally will remember the poor wi fi signal in some areas ! On Amazon there are too many to shake a stick at, so any personal recommendations would be most helpful ! Many thanks...Stephen.:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I use the "Rocket" (Facualtyx?) see Active campers blog for details, works fine for me. and only costs around £20 there are better and more expencive ones available so you pays you money and makes your choice.
try here for more details of available goodies
Link Removed

Last edited:

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I have the I Boost with the 8dB directional antenna. Works a treat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We are on our 9th campsite in France on this trip and we've been able to surf the net inside the van using an Alfa (Realtek) omni-directional booster at every one. Cost £20 off Amazon last year - one of the best bits of kit I've ever purchased. Oh, and I'm not a techie in any way, but I do like to be connected to the net.

Have used the booster in other places too - on aires and in hotels to (ie free wi-fi in reception area or bar, but can get online in the bedroom using the booster)

As others have said - Addie at motorhomewifi.com is the guy who is a real expert. :thumb:

Hope you get sorted.

Mike

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I use the "Rocket" (Facualtyx?) see Active campers blog for details, works fine for me. and only costs around £20 there are better and more expencive ones available so you pays you money and makes your choice.
try here for more details of available goodies
Link Removed

The 'Rocket' antenna is in short supply, I don't think Faculty X has any in stock at the moment. We have a few remaining and the currently the cheapest on eBay: Link Removed.

We are on our 9th campsite in France on this trip and we've been able to surf the net inside the van using an Alfa (Realtek) omni-directional booster at every one. Cost £20 off Amazon last year - one of the best bits of kit I've ever purchased. Oh, and I'm not a techie in any way, but I do like to be connected to the net.

Have used the booster in other places too - on aires and in hotels to (ie free wi-fi in reception area or bar, but can get online in the bedroom using the booster)

As others have said - Addie at motorhomewifi.com is the guy who is a real expert. :thumb:

Hope you get sorted.

Mike

Thanks Mike. :thumb: The Alfa gives surprising results by virtue of its high power output but not so good with some weak signals due to its low level of receive sensitivity. It's very good at "shouting" at the hotspot, but not so good at hearing their reply - if that makes sense. If you buy an 036NHR you can actually feel a 'buzz' of electricity off it - that can't be healthy to be sat next to! :roflmto:

The reality is - there will be situations where a device like the Alfa will outperform and situations where an external antenna will out perform and so forth. You're connecting to WiFi links over which you have no control over their output, direction, location your position and so forth so there's only so much you can do at your end to mitigate that. That's the real challenge - setting someones expectations as personal experience varies so greatly as the variables are limitless.

In some situations a directional panel will be better when the signal is beaming straight to you but an Omni will be better when its bouncing off other vans. Not everyone is sad enough to travel around with a box full of WiFi antennas :whistle:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
that can't be healthy to be sat next to! :roflmto:

The aircraft engineers and speed gun toting policemen would testify to that had they not died of cancer.

I really don't see why there is a smiley next to this statement.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Go onto pitch 9 we were ok with the signal, :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Would be interested in the evidence source for that important information.

Mike

Well go looking for it.

You'll find it in the USA.

There were tumours caused by aircraft engineers working on live radar sets on planes. Long ago, 1950s ? Before they realised how dangerous microwaves were.

The police comment, early hand-held speed guns had the microwave transmitter running continuously, the cops used to cradle them in their arms between shots, I think this caused cancers in the genital areas.

I'm sure you'll find similar problems caused by badly fitting microwave cooker doors.

I also remember a CAA warning not to go near the Fylingdales radar dome in Yorkshire because of the huge microwave power it was beaming.

Microwave tumour - 430,000 hits.

Don't mess with microwaves.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Well go looking for it.

You'll find it in the USA.

There were tumours caused by aircraft engineers working on live radar sets on planes. Long ago, 1950s ? Before they realised how dangerous microwaves were.

The police comment, early hand-held speed guns had the microwave transmitter running continuously, the cops used to cradle them in their arms between shots, I think this caused cancers in the genital areas.

I'm sure you'll find similar problems caused by badly fitting microwave cooker doors.

I also remember a CAA warning not to go near the Fylingdales radar dome in Yorkshire because of the huge microwave power it was beaming.

Microwave tumour - 430,000 hits.

Don't mess with microwaves.

Thanks Brian.

As it happens, my uncle was CO at RAF Fylingdales for a time in the early 1960s, and I went inside one of the golf ball-shaped domes at the tender age of 12, after going through much security. Also saw the red telephone that was the direct hotline to the White House. Very exciting (and scary) stuff at that age. Vividly remember it all.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Soon we Funsters will split into groups over which wifi amplifiers we use just as we have over gennies, Sat. Navs and "A" frames. :ROFLMAO:

It seems to me there are cheap ones and expensive ones and middle of the range ones.

I guess each person will support their own purchasing choice. !!!!

I have direct experience of two and my first (expensive) choice based on using a friend's was the Repeatit from Faculty X. Sadly, after a bit of faffing about, they were unable to supply me.

I ended up buying this...

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/TurboTenna-NextG-USB-Yagi-Antenna-2200mW/dp/B003X8DOBS[/ame]

I use it mostly every day I am parked at the Studio working.

This weekend I used it at QMJ to amplify my own portable Vodafone hotspot which I had mounted on a long pole 18 feet up in the air.

In hotels it is great for bringing the lobby wi-fi into your room (as mentioned elsewhere in this thread.)

Apart from an awkward to use tri-pod it has been excellent.

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
found my midi works fine

I find the mifi -3- works just fine... at Malvern when lots could not get a signal I was on line.

Bob

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Thanks Brian.

As it happens, my uncle was CO at RAF Fylingdales for a time in the early 1960s, and I went inside one of the golf ball-shaped domes at the tender age of 12, after going through much security. Also saw the red telephone that was the direct hotline to the White House. Very exciting (and scary) stuff at that age. Vividly remember it all.
I helped build the current Fylingdales microwave transmitter array 1989/90
I'm still buzzing :ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I find the mifi -3- works just fine... at Malvern when lots could not get a signal I was on line.

Bob
surely a Mifi uses a paid for signal? whilst the post is about Free wifi signal boosters or do I have it wrong?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back