Why won't my generator turn over? (1 Viewer)

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Are you sure about this - most RV gennys run from the engine battery on the basis that if you run down your leisure batteries you've still got power to start the genny and charge everything up. Try what someone suggested - run the engine then try to start the genny.

Are you trying to start from a switch in the cab or on the genny? I had a genny that occasionally wouldn't start from the cab but would always start from the switch on the genny itself.

:Smile:
Keith

Good point Keith.

Mine starts from the main engine battery too, for just that reason.

Will the RV start/run ok?

If the genny ran before the service and all that's been done is to change oil/filter and plugs, it should run now.

Has a fuel line been trapped/disturbed during this, or a wire been pulled off?

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Are you sure about this - most RV gennys run from the engine battery on the basis that if you run down your leisure batteries you've still got power to start the genny and charge everything up. Try what someone suggested - run the engine then try to start the genny.

Are you trying to start from a switch in the cab or on the genny? I had a genny that occasionally wouldn't start from the cab but would always start from the switch on the genny itself.

:Smile:
Keith

I often have to run the vehicle engine to start the genny. Let the engine run with the genny for a few minutes then its ok

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
I often have to run the vehicle engine to start the genny. Let the engine run with the genny for a few minutes then its ok

Jim

:RollEyes: I used to get that with our old Coachmen. I put it down to air in the feed pipe to the genny. Running the RV motor would appear to pressure the tank. Don't know. But it worked. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The biggest problem I have come across is a split pipe at the top of the tank. :Eeek:

Another problem with the genny NOT continuing to run after starting, but would run if the starter was held down. It was a resistor corroded on the circuit board. Soldered a new wire on to make the connection. Worked perfectly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lugnutt

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
update

hi all... generator went in and it was the starter motor ,so i hot footed it to the repair man for rewinding.next day was told the armature was bunt out and the could not find another. reported back to Dave Evans and he found one in stoke but they wonted £370 for it so the decision to scrap the generator was taken
this left a big hole

Attachments

• Photo-0031.jpg
    Photo-0031.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Photo-0029.jpg
    Photo-0029.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
lugnutt

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
i could not afford a fancy Honda or kipor but needed a generator for holls in 2 days sue cannot live without a microwave ,plus i run on 110 volts so opted for a £200 one of tinternet. this is how it all turned out ,electric start with its own battery large silencer box 70 odd decibels at 7 Mt's I'm in the proses of adding a longer tail pipe so fumes do not trap in the compartment not bad for 200 notes

Attachments

• Photo-0033.jpg
    Photo-0033.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 35

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Congratulations Dave. That sounds like a pretty good find, 3.5kw for £200. It looks a good fit in the locker as well. Does it have a remote start?
I'm feeling pretty smug as I suggested the fault might be the starter motor:ROFLMAO:

Regards
Doug

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Congratulations Dave. That sounds like a pretty good find, 3.5kw for £200. It looks a good fit in the locker as well. Does it have a remote start?
I'm feeling pretty smug as I suggested the fault might be the starter motor:ROFLMAO:

Regards
Doug
Doug, you could have been a smugger bugger if you had found him a starter for a tenner:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
i could not afford a fancy Honda or kipor but needed a generator for holls in 2 days sue cannot live without a microwave ,plus i run on 110 volts so opted for a £200 one of tinternet. this is how it all turned out ,electric start with its own battery large silencer box 70 odd decibels at 7 Mt's I'm in the proses of adding a longer tail pipe so fumes do not trap in the compartment not bad for 200 notes

Hiya Dave,

So glad you're sorted now for the holiday.Looks like you got a good buy there.:thumb:

Have a good one.

OP
OP
lugnutt

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi Doug..no it has not got a remote starter i have to go out and turn the key,life's a bitch:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:the starter price was to Dave Evans trade.so add on the cost of taking the geny out and puting it back plus there was no grantee it was the starter could have been anything,just a starter for ten(i wish):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
hi Doug..no it has not got a remote starter i have to go out and turn the key,life's a bitch:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:the starter price was to Dave Evans trade.so add on the cost of taking the geny out and puting it back plus there was no grantee it was the starter could have been anything,just a starter for ten(i wish):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You could always wire a starter switch in the circuit if it was that crucial.:RollEyes::thumb:

Have they any more?

OP
OP
lugnutt

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi steve..yes i will wire in the switch from the original genny may also find a low psi pump and plum up the petrol feed but after me holly bobs. do me till farther crimbo comes with a nice Honda suitcase jobbie:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

yes they have plenty ebay jobie

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
hi steve..yes i will wire in the switch from the original genny may also find a low psi pump and plum up the petrol feed but after me holly bobs. do me till farther crimbo comes with a nice Honda suitcase jobbie:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

yes they have plenty ebay jobie

Have you been good Dave, and posted your Christmas "Wish List"?:ROFLMAO:

3.5 KW will keep you and a few other RV's going for the forseeable future.Have you thought of towing a Fairground ride, Maybe dodgems :RollEyes::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back