Why tow a car?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Gary217, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Gary217

Gary217 Funster

I was trundling down the M3 this afternoon and passed a medium sized motorhome towing a small car (might have been a Smart but not sure) and I just wondered why some do this? I can appreciate that you have the flexibility of a small car to explore local areas so the camper can be left in one place. However to me it doesn't make much sense because you might as well have a caravan because if you tow a car you've lost a lot of the ease of driving, parking and manoeuvrability that a camper/m'home gives you rather than tugging, caravans are cheaper to buy than a M'home, caravans don't need to be road taxed or separately insured, a caravan tends to have more space as they don't have a cab area, and modern caravans are now very stable and easy to park up with their electric motors.

I'm really not trying to 'have a go' at this set-up as this is a genuine question, but as I went past the motorhome/car on the M3 I wondered if you want a car on holiday with you (and I can see the advantage of this) why not just get a caravan? I'm obviously missing a point somewhere.

• Like Like x 14
  2. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Oh dear ... that is one very BIG can of worms you've just opened up! :D

People do it for various reasons, one of which is that towing a small car with a large motorhome is easier than towing a large caravan with a car. Some people do it because they want a MH but need a small car to get around, often due to disability etc where a car is a necessity.

With a MH/car combination you can choose whether to take the car but if it's a car/caravan you can't - this is useful when on a 'touring' holiday rather than a 'static' holiday, ie moving on every couple or days or so, rather than being on a site for weeks at a time (although some still do this even with a MH). If you go abroad you can also use the 'aires' etc which you are not allowed to do with a caravan.

These are just a few reasons ... there are many more!

• Like Like x 5
  3. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Regarding the cost - nowadays the cost of a caravan and a tow car can be as much, or more, than a motorhome and car combination and of course you can't 'wild camp' in a caravan!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Everybody to their own!:whistle:

I don't want a caravan, I want my motorhome and sometimes I want to tour an area in a car without moving the m/h so sometimes in the UK I pull a toad on an a-frame and sometimes I don't.

This arrangement suits us very well and has done now for around 10 years.(y)

• Like Like x 7
  5. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

Absolutly agree with you and all your points but also realise that folks have a choice.
    I think that if you are full timing in a large mh then they are useful but if in a normal -8 MTR van then you would be better off with car and caravan. As I keep saying, why tow another engine let alone two lots of insurance, tax, fuel and m o t etc.
    I prefer to walk or have my bus pass, electric bike or short term hire car to get about, but, as said, everyone to their own.

• Like Like x 7
  6. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Oh no, here we go!

WARNING!!!!! A-FRAME THREAD!!!!

WARNING!!!! A-FRAME THREAD!!!!:)

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. dino

dino Read Only Funster

The easy answer is that caravans are used to stay put and mh are for touring, so you can tour,stay on Aires if abroad and still get out and about, you can't stay on Aires in a caravan so you need a proper site which mh' don't, we tow a car sometimes to do a bit of touring, also when we stop we just pull up and put the kettle on and don't Fanny about levelling up and putting up awnings

• Like Like x 2
  8. steevie

steevie Funster

even more simple...its best of both worlds. Cant be that daft, or so many of us wouldnt do it.

• Like Like x 4
  9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Your logic is pretty faultless.

10. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

We tow a small car in the UK because the UK is not motorhome freindly so you have to stay on sites/CL/CS which are usually miles from anywhere. On the continent we don't take the toad because it is much easier to take the motorhome wherever you want to go. Car hire is a bit of a non-starter with two dogs.(and collies shed hair by the handful)

If we only toured the UK I would get a trailer caravan because I think it is more suitable, and cheaper as I already run a large car to pull one (Land Rover Discovery) however I doubt if we tour the UK for as much as 5% of the time so motorhome wins.

• Like Like x 5
  11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Not quite the right words, but...

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Why ?

Pikies do it as second nature.
    To me its no difference if in a caravan or motorhome....a layby/carpark is a layby/carpark

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. pigginchilli

pigginchilli Read Only Funster

I have read on this forum that a layby is not is what the term wild camping means.:whistle:

• Like Like x 3
  14. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Its about flexibility. Depending on trip sometimes we tow a car, sometimes nothing and sometimes the bikes on the back .
    When in Europe generally bikes on the back so we can use the aires which caravans cannot and moving place to place far more convenient than a caravan.
    There is also the ease of setting up and just stopping for a cuppa .
    We have had caravans but for us the motorhome is always the winner.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  15. busby

busby Funster

Or GASSING,,,,,,BUSBY.

16. Bluemooner

Bluemooner Funster Life Member

This is why i love our Fifth Wheel best of both worlds

• Like Like x 4
  17. kip

kip Funster

We prefer to travel the continent for our hols, which as we all know is moho nirvana,if we ever stay more than a week in any one area & want to explore we simply hire a car,otherwise the bikes suffice.

18. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Hang on.... Hang on...... Just a minute............. Sorry can't contain it ..... YAWN ....................................

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

Unless you know all the facts it will be difficult to understand why it's done.
    After many years of car and caravan and large motor homes we have ended up with a self build PVC and as we now stay in one place in Spain for 5 months we tow a car on a trailer. The small C1 is invaluable while here but equally the van is ideal for summer use for touring around at home or in France ect.
    Having not got the means to change vans anymore we have what we have and that's the way it is.

• Like Like x 2
  20. teensvan99

teensvan99 Funster

We are used to a small motorbike on rack on back of van. Not even any parking probs. If its wet we stay in simple.

• Like Like x 3