Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Hi folks,
We're heading south through Spain and currently on an ACSI site at Peniscola. We're curious about why so many people have loads of 5 litre bottles of water round the edge of their pitches. Can anyone explain. Some of the water looks brown. They are neatly placed in rows all round the edges of awnings or mats.
Ta muchly
Mags

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've seen people tie guy ropes around rocks to hold their awnings or canopies down when they're on a hard surface.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I was told if it rains the ground turns back to sand and the pegs come out so it is better to use water bottles or sand bags

Deleted User
We noticed the same thing on a site in Portugal and were informed that it was to deter cats, don't know how true this is but that is what we were told.

The majority of the vans were French, maybe this a peculiarly French method of cat deterence:)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We noticed the same thing on a site in Portugal and were informed that it was to deter cats, don't know how true this is but that is what we were told.

The majority of the vans were French, maybe this a peculiarly French method of cat deterence:)
My thoughts too.
A popular cat deterrent in the gardening world.
The sun glints off the water and scares the cats......but the bottle would usually be hung from a low branch etc. so it can move.
Maybe that particular site has a cat problem.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I was told it is because spiders can't swim. It keeps the really poisonous spiders out of your motorhome, as the really deadly poisonous ones like to hide in motorhomes

Or was it poisonous snakes?

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I also think its to do with holding the ground sheet down as we saw at Bonterra, Benicarlo and on the posh site at Blanes there was one caravan with about 10 pot plants with flowers doing the same job!

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
My thoughts too.
The sun glints off the water and scares the cats......but the bottle would usually be hung from a low branch etc. so it can move.
Just what was about to say although I thought I'd better check the rest of the posts. It's something I have done in the past. The cats can also see their reflection and that can scare them also (y)

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
My thoughts too.

and if that fails the bottles can be thrown :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A German in Greece told me it was to stop dogs peeing on his van.

Noticed it in Portugal on the awning skirt to keep it down.
Bad practice a bottle of water makes a good magnifying glass could start a fire.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Oh come on. A glorious place like Peniscola and you are looking at plastic bottles. Get exploring the castle.

Have they finished the restaurant yet ?

Miserable as hell here oooop north, I wish we were there.

Peniscola is looking fabulous in the sunshine. Haven't been to the castle yet but will try that next. Sorry about the horrible weather. We met a local man today who said it was a shame we're not getting good weather! It's gorgeous! The local are a bit cold - it's about 25c. LOL

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
We once talking to someone in Spain that had put them around the skirt of their privacy room and the sun had burnt through and made holes in the skirt.:(

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It's because the plots are not very deep and if your van is 7m plus then it will be almost in the road. The Dutch in particular get the bright yellow ones off the cleaners when they are empty. We wondered as well when we were there so asked. It acts as a bumper when people are reversing out. If you look you will see that a lot of new trees have been planted between the pitches and when they are bigger the ones that are on the pitches are going to be cut down. This will make it easier for motor homes, the original layout was aimed at the old ' caravan, awning, car' layout.
Yes I am very sad but I had to know!

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
A German in Greece told me it was to stop dogs peeing on his van.

Bad practice a bottle of water makes a good magnifying glass could start a fire.

Maybe they put the cat poo in the water to make it cloudy, hence preventing the fire risk:eek:. They did say a lot of them were brown.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I've only been offline for a couple of days and look what's happened. ;)

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Some people prop water bottles round the van to heat up in the sun to use for hand washing etc. I have seen them laid on top of the dash to heat up too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back