Why or how did you become a motorhomer. (1 Viewer)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we were using a tent for festivals, at one i was soaked to the skin on friday erecting the tent, sunburnt on saturday and by sunday there was a small river running through our tent. Took us six months to find one we could afford a petrol talbot rambler and after two years of of completing the jigsaw needed to get a bed in a rambler decided we needed a fixed bed
The lez made a van of the right design impossible financially so we self built 6 years ago

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Wanted motrhome since I was 5 and saw my first dormobile near Oban, dad told me in no uncertain terms, that ifI wanted one I would need to get a good job and save hard. Planne dto get one on retirement if I didn't manage before. Got a small inheritance in my late 30s which had to be used for 'something I had always wanted' so started me on the road. Got a home conversion which looked like and probably was, a garen shed on the back of what had been a bedfor van. Had it for about a year then was offered almost double what it cost me so took the money and went back to a car. a few further bedford conversions over the years and eventually got a romahome, which I had for 7 years, still had it when I met John, nearly put him off for life, but a lot of visits to NEC and dealers and he came round to my way of thinking.
So for me it certainly is living the dream.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We were shivering a tent in Font Romeu, looked in a friends campervan and were hooked! Came home, bought a transit van and had it converted. On the fourth motorhome now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

DL42846

Deleted User
We started off camping in a large 6 man tent, then progressed to a caravan. Went broke so back to a tent. back in the money so bought our first Motorhome for the Freedom. Went broke again so sold it, back to a tent. Now back in the money so back to a Motorhome. We like the freedom of the motorhome. We just jump in it and go, whenever we are tired we just pull over or look for the nearest aire. For us its the freedom and comfort the Motorhome has over camping and caravaning. We have lots of places we want to visit. Never been clubbing or going in a group but would like to try it.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
An old college friends went down the caravan to motorhome route over many years and were always extolling its virtues, One weekend whilst we stayed with them they went off again on the wonders of motorhomes, so being inquisitive I started looking on the tinterweb found a few I thought looked OK and bought the second one I saw. Three years on, we use it and enjoy it, but we also take regular holidays and cruises etc. see no reason why we wont continue for as long as health and funds allow.

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
We often would go away and often the hotel/b&b would be not only a bit pricey but also a bit grim so being able to go lots of places and take your home with you was a massive appeal.

Just being able to park up and eat a meal with a gorgeous scenic view outside your window is priceless

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We converted a 14sear patent transport went every where in it we're on My no 4 and still loving it
Bill

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Got it from my dad, he bought a new VW Devon caravanette in 1960 ! and he tow a Sprite 400 behind it !! Took me until 1977 before i got my hands on one when i was 26 another VW !! had a few of them since but then moved onto bigger motorhomes so we could take our kids away.
in between converted a LWB Transit, VW T4 and a Merceds 709 lwb panel van.
Now have an Elddis Encore 754 for the both of us and our Yorkie Jake. We try to go away as often as possible and have a least one 2 month trip into Europe.
Love the freedom to just "get up and go " anywhere

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Had a VW bay when the 1st sprog came along, ended up towing a teardrop caravan behind it for a few years but longed for better weather, started doing the package tour thing, then when the kids started going their own way we did the long haul package thing.

Always looking at MoHo's and sighing, and after a few strokes with lucky outcomes SWMBO decided it was time to let me have my dream before it was too late. So, after watching friends with newish vehicles struggle with technical problems I decided to go the "Classic" route and we bought an old Hymer with old (non-existant) technology.

I bought a right hooker as crossing the pond hadn't occurred to us, but 3 years later, despite a few setbacks on the sickness front, we have chalked up several thousand miles through Holland, Belgium, France and Spain, got a month in Germany and France coming at the end of October and back and then back over on 28 Dec for a longer trip.

Loose plan to be on Gib for new years eve but it might just as well find us in a field somewhere enjoying each others company, which we still do after 40 years wed.

Hymie

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
When I was younger, a lot younger, 1969, on, I used to race bikes and drove around the world?? in a Austin A55 van with windows, to sleep in it meant freezing to death and cramped with bike and tools, gave up and bought a mini pickup for the bike and tools with a tent for me and mate or Dad. Too small so I could not afford better so stopped racing took up flying instead.
Three years ago I was driving passed a a poor Chausson that only moved three weeks a year and felt sorry for it, One day a notice was on it for sale so I bought it.
Wifey liked the idea as well as she does not go out much, it became an extension of Home so she felt happy in it and I got to go places for a change. Decided to go for something better and GD16FUN The ML I , arrived on the scene, and has done 4000 miles since we bought it, hopefully a lot more, it is automatic and a lot easier for me to drive, but She will not drive it as feels it is too big and that I would comment on her driving.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back