Why "o" Why does it happen this way

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by haganap, Mar 19, 2010.

1. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I came home all excited about posting on here that the HAGANAP bus had passed its MOT and I was roaring to go, get loaded and cant wait for Newark.

I got home got TARA out the van, hit the step button and no step came out :Doh::Doh:

Why does it happen this way?

Now i will go out and assess the step and no doubt get wallet out again.
    BTW I wish it was the fuse but it aint:Angry:

2. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

I think its down to that little fellow whose name begins with 'S' and his law.

Dave :thumb:

3. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

WD40....spray on ALL moving parts and have someone "help" the step out with a pull to see if things start to move when you push the button.

If it moves operate it in and out a couple of times whilst spraying more WD40 on the moving parts.

If you get it going give it a spray with more WD40 once a month to keep it free and moving correctly :thumb:

4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Its a design feature of electric steps Paul
    You press the button and it comes out, Or it dosent:Doh:

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Couldn't be something simple like a cable inadvertently caught during the test could it? Hope you get it sorted easily - and cheaply - anyway.

Graham

6. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

hope it doesnt cost too much to resolve xxxxxxxxxxx

7. imprint

imprint Read Only Funster

WOW - We're one better than one of the stars of the show...

Our van has also just passed its MOT -and the steps work - or at least, they did half an hour ago... nah nah na nah nah!!!

8. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

Now there is somebody who likes to tempt fate :Eeek:

9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Easily resolved .. buy one of these .. :BigGrin:

[​IMG]

10. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Before you start ripping things apart, check the up and down switch I have replaced 2 in 6 years.

Doug...

11. haganap

Well thanks all for your kind replies, I have just come in from doing the deed. Seems the motor must of been a little seized. Dazzer was right, cover off and sprayed all the moving parts with gods own oil WD40 and bingo job done.
    However one of the wires came off and talk about a bugger to get back on. :Angry::Angry: Still all looks good now...... Must of been all the muck from Skiing.:thumb:

12. sedge

sedge Funster

Ours was arse about face, you had to press the pointy up arrow ie the top of the rocker switch to get the steps down and the pointy down arrow ie the bottom of the switch to fold em back up.

Then completely without telling me Pete rewired it (or turned it round or whatever he needed to do) one day when I wasn't looking then later and still not knowing from inside the van I flung open the door pressed the up button and darn near stepped straight out. :Doh:

I said, that could have really maimed me. That's silly doing that; if he wants the insurance money he needs to do a much more thorough job than that, doesn't he?

But anyway, it cured my constipation at the time .......

13. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

just another electric motor to fail.....cant beat a plastic caravan step....no motor, no fuse, no mechanism, no problem. :thumb:

14. david price

david price Read Only Funster

Paul there is a weight limit on these,the good life and all the beer your drinking is taking its toll.Its the steps way of saying ooch :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    Dave

15. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

We have an electric step but rarely use it, preferring to use a plastic one .. Dunno why really , just something we have always done

BTW, I LOVE wd40.. Over the years the bloody stuff has probably earned me a kings ransom in repairs..

Contrary to common belief it is nothing more than a very thin lubricant based on fish oil
    If you spray it on something it will chase water away for about 2 or 3 weeks.. After that time it will then become hygroscopic ( absorb water ) unless refreshed with another shot..

It also does neoprene absolutely NO good whatsoever.. ( a lot of people used to use it to clean motorcycle chains and then wondered why all the O rings started to drop off ! )

While is has got its place in the workshop, I urge you to use with caution, it really is not the answer to all your needs !!

16. Patrick

Patrick Read Only Funster

Yo Paul,

I will Swap you your problem for mine....My New Boiler! for the cost of your Step.

Hope its an easy fix mate!!!!!

Looking forward to seeing you all Next weekend, if you don't get it sorted I am sure we will sort it at the show between us all!

patrick

17. wasp

wasp Funster

Cos mine`s a cheap Buccaneer i got a pull out step I think Exploere were saving money when they built it:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Nowt wrong with cheap pull-out steps on Explorer vans - we've got one on ours and it's never failed yet :Laughing:

Graham

19. haganap

Had that on the CI, Budget vans have there place, never had a problem with the CI

Steady on Dave, Im having me first drink in weeks tonight. Ive lost pounds you know, 53 of the buggers today at the MOT centre. And anyway at least me mother in law aint here feeding me up... bet you look like a pudding now :Rofl1::Rofl1:

Ill pass on that Pat, got a new game next weekend. Its called put away the pop up 6 person tent. :thumb::thumb: are you staying Sunday night as well? we are..

Thanks for that, :thumb:

20. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

Mine is the opposite, when I press the button it goes out and press again and it goes in, so far so good. however when it's out and I start the engine it stays out. It SHOULD automatically go back in when the engine is switched on.

I currently have to check each time I drive off that the step is in and press the button to get it back in. Bloody electrics!!!!!!