Why no stable doors?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jabberwocky, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Funster

Simple question, why did the stable door bite the dust?

We have one on our mid 90's MH but wandering around modern ones, none have stable doors, I find ours very useful, especially having a dog, he can't get out but can be nosey. It also makes the van seem a bit bigger.

Is it a security thing?

2. iandsm

iandsm Funster

I would like one too but I suppose it's a cheaper to have a one piece door for the manufacturers. However I would happily pay of it were an option.

• Like Like x 1
  3. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Less draughts and cold spots.

Possibly not that many peeps want it.

Martin

4. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Agree that's one thing I would really like on my van, I do wish it was a option.

5. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Our old MH had a large window in the hab door that opened up , so a similar thing. Handy in the winter if someone came a knocking for something do you didn't gave to open the full door.
    Any ways , because of us liking this , we made sure we put a big sliding window in our PVC door . That way we only have to open the window , not the whole thing, if someone comes a knocking.

6. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

One of the things we do like about the Autotrail is a window that slides right down in the door.
    Not as good as a split door but better than nowt

• Like Like x 1
  7. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Is it not something to do with the fact that MHs now have to have burst proof doors in case of an accident, and stable doors don't meet the criteria ?
    I could be wrong but I am sure an informed person will know for definite and tell us.

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

nothing more certain.. except death and taxes..

Jan and I had this discussion not so long ago.. handy when you have two pooches..
    a gate is my next project (so I am informed:rolleyes:)

came to the conclusion they were possibly a security risk as they were easy to jemmy open.. ?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Abacist

Abacist Funster

I would imagine that central locking would become much more complex if the door was in two parts also adding to the costs of manufacture in terms of hinges, door bits and installation and lining up of it all.

We used to like our stable doored Bessacarr Caravan but a much simpler less secure door than that of a MoHo.

10. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

We have too dogs & don't like having the doors closed. We use a piece of gardening trellis (the flimsy wooden variety that can be concertinaed). A piece of shock cord from one of the upper pivots to an appropriate lower pivot keeps it trying to expand. Took about 30 minutes to modify (mainly lightly sanding the sharp bits). It fills the lower half of the doorway & is only 6" wide when folded.

• Like Like x 1
  11. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

People thought we had a horsebox.:LOL:

12. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Had one on our caravan and in 14 years of use I don't think we ever split it, but we don't have a dog.

Martin

13. Wildge

Wildge Funster

(y) Totally agree also very handy when your 'fun' paperman delivers.......... and you still in your jocks ;) thanks @REKERLY :ROFLMAO: where would we be without you.:clap2: :clap2:

14. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

I don't get that as MH do not carry people in the Hab bit during driving so the door flying open will not lose passengers and you cannot say the doors are Structural either. My door is just the bit they cut out with a bit of seal around it, two hinges and a silly lock tha doesn't do much.

15. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Funster

You do if there's more than 2 of you in the MH, or if one of you decided to sit in the back.

16. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

Eh? My old Hymer can take four in the Hab area (two facing backwards and two with seatbelts in the dinette).

I presume that they could fall out of the door but they'd have to jump into the kitchen area first, over a 3' workbench. Which is unlikely.

I use the stable door all the time, love it, despite not having a dog. Just feels right, especially, but not exclusively, when cooking.

17. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

OK there might be only two of you, but what if you are cooking dinner or on your way to the toilet whilst travelling on the Autoroute?:D

• Like Like x 1
  18. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Er, I believe lot's of MHs carry passengers in the hab area, hence the requirements for rear seat belts now.

I don't know the age of your MH, so can't comment on it specifically, but my cousins Autotrail, which is a few years older than ours, has a stable door and ours doesn't.
    As you rightly say, they are a flimsy affair and wouldn't stop you falling out.
    Whereas the one on ours is very solid and closes positively, like a car door would.

I think this is a fairly recent piece of legislation, ie six or seven years ago, hence not all MHs have this type of door.
    As I said previously, someone who knows for sure will no doubt tell us.

19. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Carol Cut the one you have in half ;)
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  20. Debs

Debs Funster

I really miss the stable doors too and the K9 gate wouldn't be suitable.

We have an inbuilt magazine rack in the door and our hab door just has a gas strut to hold it open........slightest bit of wind and it slams shut. I wonder if the expanding trellis would work (as a dog gate) as it may be flimsy enough to not cause a problem.....

@tonyidle .....I don't supose you have any pics how you secure the trellis please?

Cheers