Why no fixed Black tanks in Eurovans?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by olley, Mar 29, 2011.

1. olley

olley Funster

While I can see that fitting a black tank would cost more, and cause weight problems on the under 3.5kg vans, but why aren't they fitted on the bigger ones? A Burstner we looked at was on a 5,000kg chassis, cost £97,000 yet still had a cassette toilet, if I was paying £97,000 I wouldn't want to drag a cassette over to the bog.

Us RV'ers don't seem to have any trouble finding places to dump our tanks, so it can't be that, that's stopping them being fitted, so what's the reason?

Ian

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

If I were self building, there is no way i would choose a cassette system over a holding tank. I have seen the odd German MH with a black tank, but the vast majority of makers stick with the cassette. Why I don't know.

3. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

If you ain't got a manhole to dump in I for one really prefer the cassette toilet, Trying to find places to dump is a nightmare and using the maserator does stinks especially when its warm day.

4. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

Still would rather have a smell

John I would still prefer to have the smell and use a maccicator than lug a plastic pot to the communal sink...

I likewise cannot understand why the euro boxes have not advanced..they are so far behind.. Even my first A class I owned 22 years ago was still advanced in many ways over the modern plastic finished European motorhomes.

Bob:thumb:

5. errpaul

errpaul Funster

Where do you dump your black waste??
    We've got a Laika which has a holding tank for the toilet waste. It doesn't have a pump so if you open the tank you have to be directly over where you want to dump (manhole cover).
    I have a large wastemaster that I connect to the dump pipe with a hose (supplied with the van) and then empty in the same way as a cassette.

Am I missing something with being able dump the smelly stuff??:Blush:

6. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

It's about the only element of owning a European van that I don't like, the RV system is so much better. It's not that its difficult or particularly nasty it's just a chore having to religiously do it every other day. In the Rv's we only had to empty once a week and could go longer if needed. All through Europe we never had a problem emptying, if we could'nt get to a drive over we used a waste hog Simples:Wink:

Mind you if thats the only thing I don't like I probably made the right choice, I certainly don't miss fueling the RV:Eek!: or burning a bottle of gas a day trying to keep one warm in the winter.:Eek!:

7. slobadoberbob

I left the manhole cover

I lift my house manhole cover and attach my maccicator to the end of the dump valve, plug in the 12v plug, press the button and in a few minutes it is all dumped.. Then I can attach a water hose in the maccicator body and flush the black tank... You need to look on one of the American parts supplier sites, get the attachment to fit your existing pipe then buy either a fixed unit or portable unit..I use a portable... Unit and the correct pipe and fittings about £300 ... But is so much easier.

Bob

8. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

l have never had any problems emptying my waste tank. If there is a toilet, there will be a manhole nearby. A sewer system has to have a manhole at every junction, or at least a rodding eye. So, if there is a bog, there will be somewhere to empty a black tank.

I think cassettes are way behind.

Craig

9. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Am I missing something with being able dump the smelly stuff??

Possibly yes, The RV set up has two ways, three if you count directly over a manhole
    we have a 3" diameter flex waste pipe that will dump direct over a manhole or even 20-30 foot away, we call that a 3" dump and prefer to do that when ever possible,
    Failing that we use a waste macerater, also found on boats, and mash up and pump up to 100 foot away, even up hill if reqd over a cassette type dump wall or direct into a toilet.using a 1" dia flex pipe
    The plan is to empty the toilet waste first(black waste) then emty the sink and shower waste (grey waste) second as that cleans out the pipes:thumb:
    I'm sure you could rig up something, the RV type Maceraters have a 3 claw system to fit the waste gates
    the marine type may be more suitable for a Euro
    Geo

10. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

I asked the same question of all the UK dealers ten years ago after renting an RV in the States and the Laika was the only one with a black (the same as marine?) tank. Still think it's a swindle spending so much and having to drag the contents of the loo across a site to dump it. :Blush:

11. errpaul

errpaul Funster

So is the waste macerator something that you fit externally or is it something I'd need to look into getting fitted internally to our euro van?

Always empty the grey waste after yep as the last thing you want when you take the hose off is some black waste still in there:Doh:

12. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Our Waste macerator consists of an electric pump/macerator unit that fits on the RV outlet with bayonet fittings....

[​IMG]

Works a treat for pumping the black stuff over long distances using a 1" hose pipe.

As Geo says...the Toilet waste first followed by the Grey Sink / shower waste...

Also has a flushing inlet to allow the fitting of a clean water inlet hose to clear it out afterwards....

Excellent bit of kit IMHO.

Steve.

13. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

The waste macerator fastens externally on the 3" outlet from the black tank, and connected to that is the 1" pipe. Open the waste valve, switch on the macerator, and it munches the waste and fires it along the smaller pipe to wherever you want up to 100ft away. Then open the grey valve and that washes the waste pipe and macerator.

Craig

14. artona

artona

Check carefully though that it is for the sewage and not a drain storm :Smile:

15. olley

olley Funster

Is that the collective noun for a group of drains? :Rofl1:

Ian

16. upmarkethippy

upmarkethippy Read Only Funster

I am the main operator of both systems...when in my travel trailer i have the black tank and when Lynne and I are out in 'Matilda' we have the tiny black tank (cassette).
    The main thing we notice is that when emptying matilda's tank we do get to meet and chat with fellow small tank dumpers! So maybe that is why they have not got big black tanks, so we get to meet new people??!!:thumb:

17. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

I stick to my feeling cassette is best:Wink:

but

When i had the big house with drive over drain:Smile:

No contest:thumb:

18. Gooney

Gooney Funster

I agree, you usually get the classic opening lines "are you taking the piss again" or "Why do I get all the s*!t jobs".

19. DBSilverfox

DBSilverfox Read Only Funster

Read this thread with interest. It never occurred to me that RVs would have a proper on-board sewage tank - shows how dumb I am :Blush:

I have no problem with emptying the cassette, and as mentioned previously you get to meet people doing the same.

Not so sure I believe it is more "advanced" to be driving round with a week's worth of poo slopping about in the back rather than emptying it regularly.

Each to their own i guess

david

20. slobadoberbob

26 gallons of poo

Yes 'RV's... Yanks, American Motorhomes' are fitted with holding tanks for black waste and also grey waste.

In the case of our Winnebago Aspect... See the link below.. We are only 23'9" long and have two tanks each being 26 US gallons... Many RV' have bigger holding tanks.

We can do a whole weekend show ..Thursday to Monday and not have to worry about lugging a cassette about to a down load point.

At say Shepton Mallet, we just pull up beside the toilet block, either connect our 3" hose then pull the valve and more more waste, or if I want I can park 60' from the dump point, run the high pressure hose out, connect the portable maccicator and the waste from the black tank becomes liquid waste... Still goes down the same dump hole.

Even on CCC sites I can do the same.it is rare I have to carry it any distance.

Next week in France I have a dump point on my pitch, as I do electric and water.. I just connect them up and forget about it until it is time to pack up. So much more civilized .. But this has been on American motorhomes for 25 years or more, nothing new.. It is what the yank owner expects, like a domestic fridge and a real freezer (not part of a fridge) .. Air con, central heating, hot water on demand.. A big... Very big fresh water tank and a city water hook up. Real tv's I.e 26" upwards, generators and manly inverters to run 230v equipment. The list is long... Perhaps you need to peek in side one at a show, or if pitched up with the MHF lot ask a yank owner to see inside.. We are always happy to show people what we consider as a normal every day bit of equipment.

Bob:thumb: