Why me? (Cars pulling out in front of motorhomes) (2 Viewers)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I must also confess to a penchant for the unintended double entendre... (y)

The source of endless amusement... :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Unintended?

Unintended... as if young man, as if...

If there are double entendres in any of my posts they are not "unintended"! :wink:

Comedy is a serious business.

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
i drive a PCV for a living..................try hauling up 16 ton when one of these prats pull out on you.
it's simply a case of 'can't be behind m/h ,bus,hgv etc'.
people today haven't got 5s to lose on the road...................got to get home for corrie

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I think this is just the tip of the iceberg. Personally I think the standard of driving in the country has deteriorated in a lot of aspects. Lets try adding the following:

white line crossing on bends
failing to signal leaving roundabouts
failing to signal - full stop
overtaking, especially approaching roundabouts then braking hard forcing motorhome to break even harder than should have been necessary.
expecting me to do 60 on a single carriageway

One you missed which always gets me, are those who cannot turn right without going on the wrong side of the road. They give way to anyone turning out of the road they want to turn into, thus holding up the traffic on the main road, because they need both sides of the minor road to turn right, however tiny their vehicle. There are so many of those round here that I have come across cars on the minor road that assume I'm going to give way to them and start to pull out as I turn.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
In our local village there is a (s) shaped road ,most drivers seem to cut straight across the 2 corners so as to make it quicker.
Problem is I often come the opposite way to find cars and vans on my side of the road.
There is often a small pile of broken mirrors by the hedge as they collide.
Why can`t drivers go around the corners and feel they have to be L Hamilton.:(

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Re forcing them to reverse, it miNght have been a Funster who told the story about coming across a car driver on a road not wide enough for it to pass by his RV.
Car driver was insistent the RV reverse. Funster equally insistent it wasn't practical.
Funster went and made a cup of tea and sat in drivers seat visibly enjoying it until the car driver realised he wasn't going to win and did finally reverse.

That was me. I also put up the Oyster and turned on the telly. :rofl:

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Ones I hate are those that assume they have right of way when THEY are joining the motorway. I'm in the big white 3.5ton motorhome doing 60mph in the nearside lane and they come down the sliproad expecting ME to move into the middle lane (no matter what traffic might be there). Sorry, it does not work that way, I lean on the horn and keep going !!

Tell you what tho, you really have to press quite hard and in exactly the right place to get the horn to sound on the Transit ! I remember the easy to operate "horn rings" on old cars.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi Geordies,
I'm Soooooooo with you on that one..
It causes arguments in our cab as the wife thinks I'm being a prat for sticking to the inside lane.
Bu**er them I say. All cars are capable of accelerating to a speed that matches the Motorway or Dual Carriageway.

As a matter of course I move over for HGV's and the like because they can't accelerate and I move over with lots of distance to allow them to enter D/Ls when there's no sliproad as you find down here in the 'Pointy Bit' of the country. They appreciate it.

This pulling over is a habit that people have got into and they do it without any thought to traffic and, as a result, we have numpties gliding onto main roads at 35mph oblivious to the carnage they create.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
If the middle lane is clear I cannot see a problem with me moving over, I call it courtesy , perhaps if there was more courtesy , driving would be a better experience, jmho,

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
And I thought it was just me who put on Harry Potters cape of invisibility every time I drove.
Whether I'm in the motorhome which being a Hobby 600 is a reasonable size to see or my little Mitsubishi Colt CZC (which I have heard being referred to as a hairdressers car) there is always some idiot who pulls out at zero feet then wont/cant accelerate.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I move over if the lane is clear but that isn't always the case.

Nearly got clobbered by a HGV on the M1 the other day. I moved into lane 2 to overtake him and was alongside when the HGV in front of him pulled out to overtake a third, slower, HGV. Lane 3 was busy so I had to slow down rather than move out.

No problem with that but then the HGV I was alongside started to move into my lane and gestured as if I had done something wrong when I used my horn to warn him I was there. Idiot presumably thought I should pull out into lane 3 in front of several faster moving cars.

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
I move over if the lane is clear but that isn't always the case.

Nearly got clobbered by a HGV on the M1 the other day. I moved into lane 2 to overtake him and was alongside when the HGV in front of him pulled out to overtake a third, slower, HGV. Lane 3 was busy so I had to slow down rather than move out.

No problem with that but then the HGV I was alongside started to move into my lane and gestured as if I had done something wrong when I used my horn to warn him I was there. Idiot presumably thought I should pull out into lane 3 in front of several faster moving cars.

Knights of the road..My a*se

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I absolutely hate it, in fact there is nothing worse, when these bloody boy racers won't let me overtake 'em on, blind bends, double whites, just before the summit, zebra crossings and going the wrong way down a one way street!o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O:sneaky:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I absolutely hate it, in fact there is nothing worse, when these bloody boy racers won't let me overtake 'em on, blind bends, double whites, just before the summit, zebra crossings and going the wrong way down a one way street!o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O:sneaky:

' Cause thats what it feels like when they do it to me

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
I write an article each month in one magazine, and this month's included the following paragraph that referred to an early journey here, though things have not changed that much:
" Instead of the crowded roads in the UK the roads in France were relatively empty, and joy of joys, instead of drivers in the UK seeing this big vehicle approaching and busting a gut to get out in front of it, the French sat waiting for us to pass before pulling out. So relaxing and refreshing. Whereas we had been used to three lanes of traffic on UK motorways, we were often a lonely vehicle on the autoroutes. Other roads were a revelation too, as not only did they have smooth surfaces generally without potholes, but the verges were mown and free of hedges, so our wing mirrors were suddenly much safer!"

Most motorhomers in France would run with most of this I fancy, so come and try these roads in France - there is a big difference!
Bob
www.parcverger.com

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We will Bob, we will. The problem is we have to go all the way through England to get there!

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
I've got a satnav I'll have you know...

Mind you I think it's the Lord of the Rings version...

Coming back from Jim's place last year it took us through places that had Orcs...

Reactions: GJH

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Nowt wrong with England...

OOps, hang on. Why do we live in Scotland again?
Berwickshire isn't Scotland, its the Borders - still disputed territory, it just happens to be the Scots who have it - at the moment. :D Remember the Crimea.

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Berwickshire isn't Scotland, its the Borders - still disputed territory, it just happens to be the Scots who have it - at the moment. :D Remember the Crimea.

Berwickshire...
b_shire.png

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
It's all in Scotland...

While it's County town is in England...

Is it any wonder I'm confused...

Peace between Berwick and Russia was sorted sometime in the 60's, if I remember correctly...

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's all in Scotland...

While it's County town is in England...

Is it any wonder I'm confused...

Peace between Berwick and Russia was sorted sometime in the 60's, if I remember correctly...
All myths. Berwick and Wales are both just adjuncts of England, proving how generous we English are at looking after our less fortunate neighbours :eek::LOL:;)

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
All myths. Berwick and Wales are both just adjuncts of England, proving how generous we English are at looking after our less fortunate neighbours :eek::LOL:;)

Berwickshire is totally within the Scottish Border and now part of Scottish Borders Council or Singularity or whatever they're called these days... Berwick town is of course a couple of miles inside the English border and part of Northumberland CC...

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Berwickshire is totally within the Scottish Border and now part of Scottish Borders Council or Singularity or whatever they're called these days... Berwick town is of course a couple of miles inside the English border and part of Northumberland CC...
Yes I know Howie :) Just thought it might please you to be associated with Hilda's Wales :LOL:

I think the "war with Russia" myth actually applied to Berwick-upon-Tweed (when it was a separate authority) rather than Berwickshire didn't it?

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Nowt wrong with England...

Didn't say there was - but it's a long way to drive through enemy territory. Oh, hang on a minute I'm a Brit, born in England with a mix of Scots, Welsh, Irish and Norse ancestry, plus a Manxer to really mix things up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back