Why Garda? (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Don't get me wrong, inspired by threads and comments here we are planning a trip to Garda ourselves at the end of September...

but why Garda and not Como, Maggiore or even Iseo?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Garda is a wonderful place to stop and take in the sites for a couple of days.. And of course you will travel through Austria so can spend a wee while there too taking in the fairy land like vistas..

Late September will mean the more isolated Alpinstraße may be closed but the big ones like Brenner and Reschen will be open ok :Smile:

Not sure I would go to Slovenia.. Not sure when the last time you visited Mike but it is very run down from what we saw last year.. dirt and filth everywhere...

I would however suggest after being at Garda you head over to Croatia.. Now THAT place is fabulous.. Not that cheap when we was there but by the cringe.. they really APPRECIATE having visitors.. They try very hard to ensure everything is clean, available and there are no dramas.. And just about EVERY one speaks perfect English !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Don't get me wrong, inspired by threads and comments here we are planning a trip to Garda ourselves at the end of September...

but why Garda and not Como, Maggiore or even Iseo?

Our first visits were to Maggiore. It's magnificent. The Barameo Islands and Villa Taranta spectacular. We visited Como from there. Como is quite different, up market maybe, but not out and out touristy.

Then we wanted to go further afield and used Butterfly as a staging post thereby discovering Garda. Garda is the ultimate tourist lake. So cute it steals hearts.

So, Garda, crowds crowding to savour it, Maggiore subtle, more reserved, Como icy cool with an airport on the lake.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Garda is a wonderful place to stop and take in the sites for a couple of days.. And of course you will travel through Austria so can spend a wee while there too taking in the fairy land like vistas..

Late September will mean the more isolated Alpinstraße may be closed but the big ones like Brenner and Reschen will be open ok :Smile:

Not sure I would go to Slovenia.. Not sure when the last time you visited Mike but it is very run down from what we saw last year.. dirt and filth everywhere...

I would however suggest after being at Garda you [HI]head over to Croatia[/HI].. Now THAT place is fabulous.. Not that cheap when we was there but by the cringe.. they really APPRECIATE having visitors.. They try very hard to ensure everything is clean, available and there are no dramas.. And just about EVERY one speaks perfect English !

I went to Yugoslavia in 1970, is it anywhere near there?

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years

I would however suggest after being at Garda you head over to Croatia.. Now THAT place is fabulous.. Not that cheap when we was there but by the cringe.. they really APPRECIATE having visitors.. They try very hard to ensure everything is clean, available and there are no dramas.. And just about EVERY one speaks perfect English !

It's not a hoilday as such Jaws, more a short break.
We will start from central France so wont travel through Austria rather the French alps with a short stop at Annecy if the weather allows the northern route.

My curiosity was aroused as there are all these other lakes in the region, and in the short time I have been a member of this forum no one has mentioned any of the others and wondered why.

We have Dutch and German friends who walk in the mountains once each year, annual pilgimage sort of, they all say that September is usually the perfect month for these alpine areas for all the best reasons.

Thanks for your input

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
I went to Yugoslavia in 1970, is it anywhere near there?

Yugoslavia is split up now since the war, it has different regions, Croatia, Slovenia, we have been to both, hubby has dived in slovenia, place called Mosenika Draga, nice site and not far from the beach, beautiful places, we have also been to Umag in 1991 before they had the war, but we flew to Pula.

we would like to go again, maybe this year!!

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Our first visits were to Maggiore. It's magnificent. The Barameo Islands and Villa Taranta spectacular. We visited Como from there. Como is quite different, up market maybe, but not out and out touristy.

Then we wanted to go further afield and used Butterfly as a staging post thereby discovering Garda. Garda is the ultimate tourist lake. So cute it steals hearts.

So, Garda, crowds crowding to savour it, Maggiore subtle, more reserved, Como icy cool with an airport on the lake.

That's very descriptive thanks Brian, encourages us to take a peep at the other lakes too especially Maggiore.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That's very descriptive thanks Brian, encourages us to take a peep at the other lakes too especially Maggiore.

If you want a treat there seek out the small campsite in Cannaro Riviera. That's where it all started for us ( but Hotal Cannaro ). Overrun by Germans but still a beautiful hidden gem. It holds the record for the number of times we have returned to one place.

Watch out for overhanging rocks, one of us lost their bedroom on the west side going north.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
[HI]Yugoslavia is split up now since the war[/HI], it has different regions, Croatia, Slovenia, we have been to both, hubby has dived in slovenia, place called Mosenika Draga, nice site and not far from the beach, beautiful places, we have also been to Umag in 1991 before they had the war, but we flew to Pula.

we would like to go again, maybe this year!!

Sorry weekenders, it was me being juvenile, I have sailed the Croatian Coast a couple of times, though the first time it was called Yugoslavia, very pleasant except in August when the BORA blows.

In one town I watched a Lambretta on its side being blown Up a slight hill, force 10-11. Scary to say the least. One or two hours later, flat calm.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
There is a great camp site on the south west corner of the lake.. We have never stopped there but Des and Donna always make a point of calling in for a few days before coming over to us in Rovereto

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008

[HI]Not sure I would go to Slovenia.. Not sure when the last time you visited Mike but it is very run down from what we saw last year.. dirt and filth everywhere...[/HI]

Last September I was around the Bled & Bonji area for quite a while before going to the coast and then down Croatia. I found the parts of Slovenia I went to be clean & the people freindly + they all spoke English. I have traveled through Italy several times & visited Garda in 2010 but have never liked the people, the driving standards and the rubish everyware. I now only go through it because its in the way of me driving down to Malta.

Mike

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Are there any recommended campsites at the southern end of the lake as a trip to Verona is very appealing.

You've already had them. Peschiera is on the main line to Verona/Venice.

Something like €8 to Verona.

Butterfly and Cappucino are an easy walk to the station. Butterfly a bit closer.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Last September I was around the Bled & Bonji area for quite a while before going to the coast and then down Croatia. I found the parts of Slovenia I went to be clean & the people freindly + they all spoke English. I have traveled through Italy several times & visited Garda in 2010 but have never liked the people, the driving standards and the rubish everyware. I now only go through it because its in the way of me driving down to Malta.

Mike

Hmmmm.. We found the 'normal folk ok, but anyone with a uniform on seemed to be a sour faced miserable git !
And although the offence was not the local folk, we found places where cassettes had been emptied in bushes and had not been cleaned up .. leaving bushes that appeared to be sprouting used toilet paper !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back