Why fit Camping car tires

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Mikescuba, May 24, 2016.

1. Mikescuba

Mikescuba Funster

Its not an issue at the moment but at some point I will have to fit some new tires. I have been looking around just to get some idea of cost and came across camping car tires from a couple of manufactures. They appear more expensive. Can anyone explain what is the advantage of Camper/motorhome tires as opposed to regular van type tires.

2. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

3. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I have no idea.. They are all bloody noisy and are made of marbles and wood by the way they grip !!
    I have just fitted 6 Avons to mine.. Well pleased so far ( I get them at about £80 a go as I have a trade account with them )
    If anyone wants them I am happy to get them but you would need to arrange collection from Thetford though

• Like Like x 2
  4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

what the french call camping car tyres are reinforced on the side walls to prevent damage from running fully laden 24/7/365 and to help prevent damage caused by the van sitting still for long periods. also they are capable of better handling the high air pressures specified by the manufacturers

5. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

Different tread pattern should be mud and snow or you could just buy snow tyres

Joe

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

This was posted before but deserves another outing..

makes for interesting reading ...

Conti comes out top in German tyre reviews

Extracts >>

Back in 2006 Pro Mobil tested eight 'van / light truck' tyres on motorhomes. They tested the tyres using experienced drivers and sophisticated measuring equipment on two motorhomes at a Pirelli test track. The 215/75 R16C tyres were fitted to Ducato based Hymer A-class and Hightop motorhomes for testing. The results make very interesting reading!

The all important tests in the wet were a different matter altogether. When braking from 80 kph (50 mph) the worst tyre took 53% more stopping distance than the best. To put that into perspective - if these two motorcaravans were side by side at 50 mph and both tried to stop simultaneously, the vehicle with the worst tyres would still be travelling at almost 30 mph when the first one had stopped! That's serious by anyone's standards, a 30 mph impact is very damaging, even lethal. Even the market leading Michelin XC Camping tyre took 25% more stopping distance than the best Conti under these test conditions. It was also the worst tyre for aquaplaning - by some margin, very worrying!

Full report http://www.motorcaravanning.com/vehicles/tyre_test.htm

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

Thanks Jim but it is 10 years old now

Joe

8. scotjimland

and ??

what has changed

9. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

I would have thought al the manufacturers would have seen that and improved, not to say they have though and I know Pirelli are great tyres
    Joe

10. scotjimland

could be right.. I don't know.. I posted as I thought it was interesting..

sorry for posting out of date stuff .. I'll go and do some more painting

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

Not moaning at you Jim are you any good at ceilings

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

I've just had 2 new Michelin XC tyres fitted and the tread pattern is different From earlier ones, and they are also marked m+s (mud and snow).

13. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Interesting that Pirelli tyres have been mentioned. I have recommended on the Murvi Club website folk check axle weights and then contact the manufacturer for a recommendation on pressures. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work for Pirelli, I heard about today, who simply advised they couldn't specify a pressure and they should follow the advice in the vehicle handbook. It may just have been they some to someone inexperienced but even so a manufacturer should know what pressures their tyre should be inflated to at a specific loading.

14. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

Many people think that Michelin,Pirelli and Continental manufacture camping tyres to enable them to charge more money for them:rolleyes: just not true.the camping tyres have several advantages.they have reinforced sidewalls to enable the tyres to be run at high pressures to cope with the vechicle being fully loaded at all times.They also have several sidewall protectors built into each sidewall which gives extra protection for tyre when the sidewall is scuffed.also there are many more sipes manufactured into the tyres tread to give grip on wet grass and mud and snow.so the benefits are fact and not just hear say.(y)
    Brian & Jo

• Informative Informative x 12
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  15. jezport

jezport Funster

The xc camping has been replaced and the new camping tyres are pretty good.

16. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I have thought about CP tyres before, but in the end, opted for normal van tyres each time I have bought new. Standard tyres were the original equipment when the van left Hymer and the load ability is well within the van's maximum limit. I have always bought Conti Vanco and last time, about 18 months ago, I chose Vanco Winter 2. These are M+S and Snowflake marked - excellent grip. Continental technical department told me they would be fine for all-year use on a motorhome and I run at lower pressure than the Hymer handbook (or Merc plate) state. I got the correct pressures from Continental having checked the actual axle weights in use.
    p.s. If you decide to get CP tyres they run at much higher pressure than standard van tyres and you therefore need a valve that is capable of holding the pressure. Standard Schrader car/van valves are rated only to 65 psi.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Mikescuba

Mikescuba Funster

I have Conti Vanco on the Motorhome and they seem quiet good in the wet and not noisy at all. The front ones are about halfway down compared to the back ones. The Motorhome has done around 18 thousand miles. I also run a Land Rover Defender and tires makes a big difference on it. I also run a car which I switch to winter tires during the snow season. The tires I have on there are rubbish and I can't wait to change them. Normally I change the snow tires when the temperature increases above 9c. I'm told that snow tires are a softer compound than normal all year round tires. My Land Rover has also done around 18 thousand on the tires and don't seem to have worn hardly at all. I expect to get around 70 to 80 thousand out of those.
    The front on the Motorhome look like they will be finished in another 18 thousand max. So i'm just getting a few thoughts together.

18. bubble63

bubble63 Funster

toyo H09 (y)

19. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Had mine on for 3 years now (y)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

I would be interested to know which type of tyres the member who had a rear one explode recently. That took out the whole rear wheel arch, and everything behind it.

• Like Like x 1