Why fit a diode inline from solar regulator (1 Viewer)

fred flintstone

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
lincoln
Funster No
MH
Pilote P690
Exp
Since 2007 on and off
I have bought a van with 2 small solar panels on top, approx 40w each.
They connect to a cheap regulator.
Where the wire leaves the regulator, heading for the positive side of the battery, someone has put a diode inline.
I have wired a few panels and never used a diode.
Is it anything to do with me having a Schaudt IT268-2 control unit?
The main thing is would it be ok to remove this diode from the system?
Help appreciated.

regulator.JPG

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
It's there to prevent reverse current which may damage the panels.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Depending where the diode is fitted it may also protect the regulator, doesn't do any harm and in operation will make no difference.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The intention is surely to prevent the reverse flow of current from the battery at night or when the panels are not producing power. As already said one would expect the regulator to do that or for their to be diodes in the box of tricks on the panels.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Panels normally have a diode fitted in the panels connection box under the panel.
A 40w panel is usually such a low output it doesn't really need a diode as they are usually free standing and don't require a controller
I don't think I ever saw a mountable 40w panel.

Anyway, as a pair of panels (total 80w) are being used the charge current will be too high to omit a diode so it's been fitted at the easiest place.

Leave it in place.

OP
OP
fred flintstone

fred flintstone

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
lincoln
Funster No
MH
Pilote P690
Exp
Since 2007 on and off
Thanks for all your replies. I think the regulator should take care of this. It looks like one more thing to go wrong IMHO.
Thanks again

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes they simply do not make regulators that allow reverse flow of current that would be stupid
Edit
And not fit for purpose

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but they did years ago . and panels didnt have diodes on the back either.
regulators were more an on off switch thing . i have a few here .
unfortunately uk is a bit behind and missed the early years of solar.
diodes were the way 20 years ago.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I've yet to find a regulator that says in the instructions
And by the way you'll need to buy and fit your own diode because our regulator is a piece of junk

Btw the one pictured can be found for sub £10 but that's no excuse

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes they simply do not make regulators that allow reverse flow of current that would be stupid
Edit
And not fit for purpose
That may be so Andy.....
BUT....If you have more than one panel what's to stop current from one, in full sun, pumping current into its partner which is in full shade ?
A regulator can't stop that, but looking at the pic that diode won't stop that happening either.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes that is a modern one . but certainly years ago regs bought needed a diode.
like i said they reached a voltage in batteries and switched off when battery voltage fell they came on again .
panels were hundreds and regs in maroc cost about 5quid .
anyone starting on solar then would possibly stil think fit a diode.
i fitted one of the junk regs14 years ago . still have it it still works . but not in my trailer . i use it ona spare panel as a battery charger at home .
things have moved on i admit.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The most likely scenario is the previous owner read some misinformation on a forum about why his batteries were going flat overnight :LOL:
Yes mate you should always fit your own diode don't you know

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
or is it your lack of older knowledge ?
i,m not knocking you really you do a grand job of helping people . a credit to you.
but years ago it was normal to fit diodes . . yes today not necessary but a bit of allowance.
some may be just following the old way.
i remember seeing batteries boiling over years ago before even the simplest of regulators were around .
whole villages in morocco relied on just what ever batteries they could muster.
came back to uk and hardly anyone knew solar really worked .
how times have changed . uk is filling fields with solar and in morocco thety are turning the desert into green fields . solar is almost a thing of the past there.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
There are two places you can fit a diode for a solar system, one is called a blocking diode and the other a bypass diode.

Blocking diodes are to stop the battery pushing current through the solar panel at night. These are essential if you don't have a regulator installed.
Bypass diodes are fitted in parallel with the solar panel but reverse polarity. These are only of use in a multiple panel install where they are installed in series. This is to prevent a single panel being shaded limiting the output of the others.

If you have a regulator like the one pictured above there is absolutely no use for a diode where they have one. Every circuit diagram I have seen for a PWM solar charge controller uses a mosfet output and these prevent the reverse flow of current by their very design.

So if you have no charge controller then yes, fit a diode for solar panels over about 12 watts. Below that the solar panels are too puny to do any damage. You can probably get away without a diode up to maybe 40 watts but I wouldn't risk it. With a charge controller this is not necessary.

I totally agree with @Techno on this one.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The most likely scenario is the previous owner read some misinformation on a forum about why his batteries were going flat overnight :LOL:
Yes mate you should always fit your own diode don't you know
But at the same time it's doing no harm.
Maybe some miniscule resistance maybe but not causing problems....until it fails.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
PS: as others have said, no major loss by keeping it in there. You lose about 0.7V in forward voltage in a silicon diode from memory. At a charge current of 2 amps from a small panel Watts = IV so you will be losing 1.4 Watts from your charge controller at 2 amps.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes but years ago even jim had he thought of luna panels and put a good connection to lunar panels . i wish i had kept it on my computer it was a a good one .
these youngsters dont under stand luna panels . we shall have to let them off . hee hee .
but really solar amazed me years ago morocco was full of it . i came home and was shocked it was hardly known about in uk.
when i had my vw t2 with roof tent etc it just wasnt viable but once i got the mini artic and thought about it solar was the way. watching a friend use an auto matic washing machine on nothing but solar i had to really take notice . then a dutch couple turned up with tumbler dryer . it blew my head.
the next winter i looked for panels . 200 quid second hand in morocco or 500 quid in uk for new 80watt panels .
how times have changed .
i fitted some the other day for a friend 78 quid for the panels 100wt .
why every m,home hasnt got a roof full i dont know.
mind i still have a nokia phone i bought in 2008.ha ha .

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I think I may be one of the only people on here who has attempted to make their own solar panels. Lots of research went into it before starting.

https://www.fulltiming.info/self-build-motorhome/making-the-solar-panels

Not a glorious finish but I think I earned 10/10 for effort :D
I mad one a copel of years ago think it on her sumhar but don't think I will search thought my post don't think life expectancy is that long to find it
Bill

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The physical size of that diode indicates it will almost certainly not be able to handle anything more than a couple of amps..
As long as it is working, fine, but if the system fails that would be the first place I would look !!
Most modern panels have a blocking diode built in..

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Frankly, I am not interested in the least bit in what one needed/fitted/used years ago.

I am interested in now.

I have lived in a van fulltime for nearly thirty years and have fitted and used solar panels for twenty of them.

I have never fitted an in-line diode.

Mind you, I have never had a habitation check, never weighed my van, don't use a sign thingy on my bike rack and drive in bare feet in Spain...

Just saying

JJ :cool:

Deleted User
i fitted some the other day for a friend 78 quid for the panels 100wt .
why every m,home hasnt got a roof full i dont know.
mind i still have a nokia phone i bought in 2008.ha ha .

Because mine's either plugged in or used every couple of days enough to charge the one leisure battery........horses for courses, I have no need to go to the expense of solar panels:)

PS....whats a diode supposed to do?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Slightly off topic, 40W solar panels are not going to give you anything like enough power. I would consider changing them to something a lot bigger.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back