Why don't you see more women driving? (1 Viewer)

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
I do most of the driving cause I am better at driving…..and yes, I am a woman! :p

I noticed quite a few women drivers on the way to and from Cornwall recently. The C&CC site marshall even commented on the fact that most of the MH's arriving were being driven by women.

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
I do most of the driving cause I am better at driving…..and yes, I am a woman! :p

I noticed quite a few women drivers on the way to and from Cornwall recently. The C&CC site marshall even commented on the fact that most of the MH's arriving were being driven by women.

Ditto

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Joan used to drive our S700 Hymer. She went on a CC Motorhome Driving day and did very well. However as age creeps on, she has found it more and more difficult to drive comfortably even with a cushion behind her. Her legs seem to be getting shorter as well. At 73 she decided to call it a day for driving the 4600kg van and new drives the Smart, leaving me to drive the Motorhome.

She does the navigation using maps and puts Sally in the satnav right, as she is better at it than me.

We only tow the Smart on a trailer during the summer in the UK, as its easier to wild park without it in Spain in the winter.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This is something that I believe is true for recovery policies:

If the wife/husband/partner does not wish to drive the MH at any time (ie not confident enough) make sure she/he is NOT on the motorhome recovery policy - if they are and you are unable to drive the other person will be expected to do it - normally the recovery policy will only supply a driver if there is not one else recorded on the policy as able to do it, albeit unwillingly.

Lynd57

Free Member
Aug 5, 2015
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 2015
Jackie is insured for all our vehicles, including the Trike, she is not confident with the new Van 8.5 metres or the old one come to that at 7.5 m, she has driven it though, once at Dorset meet in the field and once for about 12-15 miles of the M5 down just North of the M4.

Not helped by LHDrive.

View attachment 77855
I might have a go but don't hold me to it!

Lynd57

Free Member
Aug 5, 2015
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 2015
Joan used to drive our S700 Hymer. She went on a CC Motorhome Driving day and did very well. However as age creeps on, she has found it more and more difficult to drive comfortably even with a cushion behind her. Her legs seem to be getting shorter as well. At 73 she decided to call it a day for driving the 4600kg van and new drives the Smart, leaving me to drive the Motorhome.

She does the navigation using maps and puts Sally in the satnav right, as she is better at it than me.

We only tow the Smart on a trailer during the summer in the UK, as its easier to wild park without it in Spain in the winter.
Go Joan! Map readers (i'm one) are an essential part of the MH and shouldn't be underestimated. But being a newbie to foreign travel and planning a tour to Southern Spain for some Winter Sun I might have to ask Joan for some advice on how to be brave and get on with it !

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Go Joan! Map readers (i'm one) are an essential part of the MH and shouldn't be underestimated. But being a newbie to foreign travel and planning a tour to Southern Spain for some Winter Sun I might have to ask Joan for some advice on how to be brave and get on with it !

With pleasure Lynd. Anything you want to know, just ask, although there is nothing like jumping in at the deep end for a quick learning curve.
You will find out how easy it is driving on the opposite side, so easy , and the roads are empty compared to the UK. Also, I think the pace of life on the continent is more laid back, with a lot fewer aggressive drivers.
Just take your time and enjoy it. Being retired we don't have timetables or itineraries!

Regards, Joan.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Mrs W has expressed a bit of interest in driving the MH lately. Dunno why? Even though I'm fit (in the old sense of the word :D) I think she fears being stranded as we get older.

I've thought of buying her one of those courses, but I would have to put her on the insurance for that. At the moment, she doesn't want to be insured because the insurance policy will provide a 'chauffeur' if I'm incapacitated. They won't if she's insured.

She won't even drive my car (Kuga) because 'it's too big'. I've had her on that insurance for 5 years!! She also says she hates me being a passenger in her car. A new wife would resolve the issue? (y)

Lynd57

Free Member
Aug 5, 2015
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 2015
With pleasure Lynd. Anything you want to know, just ask, although there is nothing like jumping in at the deep end for a quick learning curve.
You will find out how easy it is driving on the opposite side, so easy , and the roads are empty compared to the UK. Also, I think the pace of life on the continent is more laid back, with a lot fewer aggressive drivers.
Just take your time and enjoy it. Being retired we don't have timetables or itineraries!

Regards, Joan.

Thanks Joan, the plan is to go Feb/March so i'll let you know how I get on, Cheers Lyn

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Earlier this year in Spain we noticed lots of ladies driving and all seemingly very happy to be doing so. In Javea we met one elderly British couple where the lady did all the driving. They were both well into their 80's!

Hope for us all :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Martin isn't a good passenger and never has been. I think it is because of the different perspective of the passenger seat compared to the driver. He always says I am too close to the nearside but as the wheels don't hit the grids and the mirrors don't hit the hedge or hang over any pavement on the passenger side and I am "my" side of the white line I think I'm fine. :)

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
The Missus will drive MH on 'proper roads' as she calls them. Basically A roads and motorways. She won't manouevre it and certainly wont reverse. However shes a great navigator, better than me. So it all works.

OP
OP
GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
I decided to watch while we were away this weekend and count....

We passed 47 MH's over the weekend and saw no women driving at all (well except me)!

Come on ladies we can do this! Unless of course your other half is so well trained that you can have a chauffer!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I'm not a particularly good passenger so usually drive if we are both going somewhere. SWMBO drives the cars if she's on her own and on occasion drives back from the pub. She doesn't drive the MH as even with the seat as far forward as it will go she can't comfortably reach the pedals. I have taken her off the insurance as if anything happened to me away from home the insurance will not cover recovery if there is a functional insured driver.

Neither of us is much use as a navigator, we have three satnavs in the mh, and in emergency there's one on my phone and on my tablet.

greygit

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Forest of Dean, Glos, France and Spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We both drive, but Michelle doesn't enjoy driving as much as I do so I tend to drive a little more than her but driving down to Spain we alternate hourly, less boring that way.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back