Why don't British motor homes have garages?..... (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We have a Bailey Autograph 745 which we love in every respect except for one, it doesn't have a garage for our electric bikes. We have been looking at available vans with the same qualities as the Bailey but with said garage but have been massively disappointed. We don't want tiny lounges with upright travel seats and a monster fixed table such as are fitted to even really expensive foreign vans and their kitchens are often lacking. The conclusion we have drawn is that our tastes are "British", yet we can't find a British van anywhere with a garage. Why is this? The old Bailey 750 was the nearest but it had silly 5 foot 10 inch beds that didn't fit me. Are there any new models I have missed? 7 metre plus as I think we have got used to the size.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Autotrail Mohawk or Chieftain G.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
Our MH is a Bessacarr E480 large garage , long lounge seating area, (we have had 8 in for drinks etc) full width bed over the garage, I know they dont make this model now but may have a similar model in their new line up, ours is a 62 reg so there must be some used ones around. Pete

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Plenty do but for years the most common 'British' layout was the u shaped lounge, this is a great layout for families. but leaves nowhere for a 'garage' This is now being replaced by a clamour for fixed bed models, (all those baby boomers are getting too old to climb into the Luton :) ) The fixed bed lends itself to full or half garages which is why they are becoming more common. Brit manufacturers seem to be always way behind the curve but we are seeing more and more models that offer a garage.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Same problem here, we looked at the Pilote 740 at the show, twin rear beds with individual wardrobes you could actually get to, unlike some which were down at knee level, over a good garage. But cramped dinette arrangement up front unlike our twin sofa Bailey. When we got back to the van the wife said, and I thought, blimey isn't it roomy in here? We're exploring towbars and bike racks for our ebikes at the moment which may include uprating the weight.

It's been well discussed before but as an aside on uprating and real figures we spoke to SV Tech recently and we can go from 3500 to 3700 with no mechanical alterations (but the rear axle stays at 2000Kg max) and if SV do the job I think it was £280+ VAT. To go to 3850 means air suspension and a pair of 16" tyres on the rear axle, effectively 5 to cover the spare, same price and SV could do the job in stages at the one price to spread the cost.

AS quoted me £1198 plus £399 fitting for air bags at the show, a discount of £105 on their normal rate. Then maybe there's the towbar and mounts for the bike. Westfalia do a nice towball mounted job for around £425 with a £100 off at the show, they're at shows in January and February with the same offer for those who need thinking time. :unsure:

Anyway, far more important things, got to get on to that bloke about my wife's waterproof crocs that aren't. :oops:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Same with caravans. All Brit built vans have three front windows, with three sets of hinges, and millions of window catches. Continentals have one big window. Chassis length at the towing end likewise. Brit vans have a very small 'V', whereas Continentals have long fronts, allowing you to reverse without the fear of hitting the van with the car.

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
Same problem here, we looked at the Pilote 740 at the show, twin rear beds with individual wardrobes you could actually get to, unlike some which were down at knee level, over a good garage. But cramped dinette arrangement up front unlike our twin sofa Bailey. When we got back to the van the wife said, and I thought, blimey isn't it roomy in here? We're exploring towbars and bike racks for our ebikes at the moment which may include uprating the weight.

It's been well discussed before but as an aside on uprating and real figures we spoke to SV Tech recently and we can go from 3500 to 3700 with no mechanical alterations (but the rear axle stays at 2000Kg max) and if SV do the job I think it was £280+ VAT. To go to 3850 means air suspension and a pair of 16" tyres on the rear axle, effectively 5 to cover the spare, same price and SV could do the job in stages at the one price to spread the cost.

AS quoted me £1198 plus £399 fitting for air bags at the show, a discount of £105 on their normal rate. Then maybe there's the towbar and mounts for the bike. Westfalia do a nice towball mounted job for around £425 with a £100 off at the show, they're at shows in January and February with the same offer for those who need thinking time. :unsure:

Anyway, far more important things, got to get on to that bloke about my wife's waterproof crocs that aren't. :oops:

What about one of these and here is a two wheeled version being tested by the ADAC .
These types of trailers can be specified up to 750kg, they removed the need to uprate your vehicle, a C1 licence isn't required and they don't have the reversing issues associated with normal trailers.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Looks good plus it will take a lot more than a couple of bikes

including the wife if we fall out. :LOL: