Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our van has a white roof, a white rear, a white cab, white side skirts and light grey sides. On Thursday, I washed it and left it sparkly clean all over
This morning, I went into the van and noticed black streaks down the back, along the sides at the top and over the cab
What the........
Where do all these black streaks come from? We live less than half a mike from the coast, I thought the air was pretty clear here
Does someone sprinkle soot over white vans when it rains?
Allan

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Did you wash the roof? Years ago a dealer told me to wash the roof at least twice a year as this is where dirt from the atmosphere collects and then causes streaks when it rains. I follow his advice and this helps limit the problem though we still do get some streaking.

The dirt round here is dust from the fields and soot from coal and wood fires.

Rgds
Bill

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There is always dust around and Bill is spot on (no pun intended) about it settling on the roof.

I clean the roof nearly every time we clean the van. We use Onedrywash and I usually do the roof one day then next day I do the top half of the front, back & sides whilst Jill does the lower half. It doesn't stop streaking completely but reduces it significantly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I washed the roof first! I must have missed some muck around the roof lights and under the solar panel. I just bought a telescopic brush so it should be easier to do it. I'll have another go tomorrow
Allan

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Rubber window frames and trim are the worse culprit. Thank goodness for alloy frames.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I washed the roof first! I must have missed some muck around the roof lights and under the solar panel. I just bought a telescopic brush so it should be easier to do it. I'll have another go tomorrow
Allan
Go on. Be brave. Chuck your brush and get a big scary stepladder that lets you reach half way across the roof whilst telling yourself it won't fall over ::bigsmile:

Rubber window frames and trim are the worse culprit. Thank goodness for alloy frames.
Show off :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Some car polish seems to attract black streaks. Autoglym Super Resin Polish is a good polish but straks badly afterwards. I have found that Meguires Gold Class is a good wax for motorhomes and is better at preventing black streaks.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Some car polish seems to attract black streaks. Autoglym Super Resin Polish is a good polish but straks badly afterwards. I have found that Meguires Gold Class is a good wax for motorhomes and is better at preventing black streaks.

Hmm, polished the van last week, with Autoglym super resin polish....
I hadn't noticed the black streaks before that
I can feel a trip to Halfords for some Meguires coming on
Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back