Why do people spend £40,000 (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Why do motorhome buyers on here spend £40,000 trusting dealers to tell them what's wrong with them and then start looking for damp or doors falling off or finding out they can't change a wheel, and as to buying a swift when all the reviews on them are negative why risk your money on one when you could have your choice of hundreds, not that I know anything about them but you have only to google them or look at threads on here and anyone in their right mind wouldn't look at them.
Looking at it you would be far better buying private at a good discount and doing your own inspection before you buy rather than trusting someone else who is trying to sell it to you.
When looking at that sort of money I would never sleep at night if there was any chance it was wrong.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
For the same reasons that some spend far more than £40000 on an ever decreasing asset. Because they can. Its there choice and there money to do as they wish.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I wouldn't dream of spending £40k on a motorhome.

You can't get much for more than that.::bigsmile:

As Snowbird says though - what's the problem?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
PHP:
For the same reasons that some spend far more than £40000 on an ever decreasing asset. Because they can. Its there choice and there money to do as they wish.

Yeah quite right but why when they could have the same without decreasing so much with a little thought:Smile:and then complaining about it

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
PHP:

Yeah quite right but why when they could have the same without decreasing so much with a little thought:Smile:and then complaining about it

Because if everyone bought second hand eventually second hand vans would run out.

This years new is 2020's second hand.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Who's complaining,apart from you!:Eeek:

Vlad

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Why does my toilet fill up so quick...:Angry:

I don't use it....... I use site loo`s... :winky:::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Why does my toilet fill up so quick...:Angry:

I don't use it....... I use site loo`s... :winky:::bigsmile:

Have a word with the misses Mo. You don't think she is daft enough to go traipsing around a campsite in the middle of the night looking for a loo, do you.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We spent over £50k on ours because Mrs A wanted one with a toilet that no one had used..:Doh:

But there are a few benefits.

It didnt cost me a penny ( Mrs A bought it and registered it to me):thumb:
I get a two year warranty on the hab side
I get a 3 year warranty on the base vehicle.
I know how its been treated from new.
No one has used the toilet.:moon2:
Its never been crashed raced or rallied ( I wont let Mrs A drive it)
Its got brand new expensive tyres. ( and a spare)
Its got a brand new clutch.
No one has used the toilet.
No mot to worry about for 3 years.

We have had a few minor niggles but nothing that has stopped us using the van how it was designed.

Apart from that, we spent ages looking for one and got exactly what we wanted ( well, almost, got to insulate those underslung tanks and pipework ) and we will be keeping it for a l o n g time.

Allan

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We spent over £50k on ours because Mrs A wanted one with a toilet that no one had used..:Doh:

We have had a few minor niggles but nothing that has stopped us using the van hoq it was designed.

Apart from that, we spent ages looking for one and got exactly what we wanted ( well, almost, got to insulate those underslung tanks and pipework ) and we will be keeping it for a l o n g time.

Allan

My wife bought ours as well:thumb:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

We have had a few minor niggles but nothing that has stopped us using the van hoq it was designed.

Allan
If you moved house would you fit a new toilet? You would not stay in a hotel then! BUSBY:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

We have had a few minor niggles but nothing that has stopped us using the van how it was designed.

Allan

Yeah that's great, but you are not complaining , that's not what I meant there are loads on here who are, I am not complaining either just observing

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
If you moved house would you fit a new toilet? You would not stay in a hotel then! BUSBY:ROFLMAO:

I tried that argument. I wanted a used Hobby 750, and said the toilet would be no different to one in an older house.
That sort of logic doesnt work I'm afraid.

I dont think she ever goes to the toilet if we go to a hotel, not that we do now anyway.

Allan

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
We researched our expensive purchase quite thoroughly before deciding - it was always going to be a long term purchase with intentions of keeping it for many years - to my mind, the really "expensive" purchases are the mistakes - constantly chopping in one motorhome for yet another one because the layout didn't suit or it was damp or just not to your liking.

Buy once buy right was the aim - you can easily spend tens of thousands in changing one motorhome for another and another and another .............

Anyway, what does it matter what people pay for their MH :Eeek::Eeek: people have a choice as to how they spend their money, surely? :Eeek:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Yeah that's great, but you are not complaining , that's not what I meant there are loads on here who are, I am not complaining either just observing

Oh, ok. I have complained though about a few things, but the dealer has fixed them, and I suppose its a rare thing if something doesn't go wrong or break or not work as expected.

But people buy vans way over £40k and way under £40k and still have major problems.

You just need to buy whatever you want from a reputable dealer and either hope nothing goes wrong or if it does its fixed promptly.

Allan

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams

Just enjoy !
I've never had a puncture so never had to change a wheel.
I've also never had a habitation check.Therefore I don't have a damp problem to worry about. :ROFLMAO:

Vlad

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Or build your own, damn site cheaper and no dealer involved, after spending near on £20,000 on one of Swift groups new caravans back in 2006 I would never ever consider it again so many problems it was untrue as for being fit for purpose that might be right if you only stand them on the drive and tip toe into it now and then to have a look, absolute crap if you actually want to use one for real

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I'm sure that if you spent a lot of money on something, not necessarily a MH, you would expect it to be right. If it wasn't, I'm sure you would complain too.
If I spent £10,000 on a MH and things were wrong with it that the seller hadn't disclosed (not everything is obvious) I would complain.
Same if I spent £5,000 and so on.

The amount is neither here nor there, it is the principle of selling faulty goods as "fit for purpose" that is the issue.

For the record, I can get the wheels off, and do just about any job that requires doing. But why should I ? That's why I paid her money, so that I have warranties and someone else can rectify the faults that shouldn't be there.

After all that, SWMBO wanted the island bed and the "It's new so no one else has used it" thing.
Oh yes, it was also her money, so I have joined an elite gang on here. :thumb:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'm sure that if you spent a lot of money on something, not necessarily a MH, you would expect it to be right. If it wasn't, I'm sure you would complain too.

That's just my point , when spending that amount of money surely you would get it checked out thoughly before looseing the money rather than looking to get it done right after.
The whole business stinks, it isn't a small amount of money it could be someone's life savings, on something that's falling apart, it's a good part of the cost of a house , you wouldn't buy one of them if it was falling down.
Most people buying a first motorhome have never had any experience further than buying a car and they wouldn't expect them to be falling apart so would think mhs are the same but they are anything but.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I bought mine because we liked the layout comfortable lounge area, fixed bed, and a large garage to carry all we take down to Spain etc usually for 5 to 6 month, so it suits us , re the wheel problem that's a different thing which is in the process of being fixed, I would agree it's a mistake by Swift in the design and I am in discussion with them, this is my second Swift and have had no problems with either in respect of the construction, and like others have written each to their own, I personally wouldn't have an old van I have had Vintage cars has an hobby in the past and crawling underneath to mend things is long gone.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Most on here have damp or can't get the wheel off or similar
I am not a most I am a me, and I can change a wheel if required but also have breakdown cover to do it when I don't want to. And 40k to some is 100k to ours, to me a tenner is a case of beer:Smile:
Steve

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Bought my Swift 18 months ago new , no problems with my beautiful van so far. Its given us so much pleasure. My last van was coming up to 10 years old and only sold it because of the LEZ, now I've experienced a new van I plan on changing it on a regular basis. I will be looking to change it next year and will be shopping around at the NEC later this month. As far as I'm concerned, I work hard, I earn it so can spend it on whatever I want .Life is too short, its not a rehearsal and you cant take anything with you when you numbers up:Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back