Why Do People Sell So Soon After Buying (1 Viewer)

Fergus

Free Member
Jun 21, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Wannabe
Exp
Just looking at adverts for motor homes and I am struck by how quickly people sell their motor home and what few miles they do. Made me think, what are the reasons people sell after 12-18 months. Why do some MHs have 3 previous owners when they are only 2-3 years old.
Do people just go off the idea. Once they have done some of UK and a bit of Europe do people lose the urge, can be bothered, done that looking for something new?
What do people here think?

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
Had our first van for just over 2 years now......

30000 miles later and we still love it :) we got it right first time (y)

For us: 6m, fixed bed, big garage, PVC, fuel efficient..........:D

Unfortunately we now fall into the category of people who thought they had got it right, the quote from @chockswahay for us is correct, and a 6metre pvc is what we should have bought, Not necessarily with a fixed bed, but each to their own,it would have been the better layout for us, so a brand new vehicle, that drives like an absolute dream, but we can't get on with the layout, so will have to see what we can do, I should have stuck to my guns, I like the Autocruise Rhythm, and that's what we should have bought instead of a rising roof van, but all due to space on the driveway albeit the Rhythm would have fitted, so hey ho take more advice all you budding owners, we really enjoy this style of life, so it's not a case of falling out with it, and we definitely are not giving up, it's what we want to do, met so many people already, found being somewhere very relaxing, and mostly peaceful, vehicle has just done over 1000 miles since we started in earnest with it 10/6/15, and looking forward next year French strikes and migrants permitting off to La Belle France for some time, it's what it's all about and having fun, learning and seeing new things, curiosity is a wonderful thing, just glad I'm not a cat, so over the next few days will be making further visits to various dealers to see what's available to us or soldier on with it, but daren't make another mistake, it's gonna be very costly(n):mad::tmi:

Upvote 0

Ja63

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero Black Ed
Exp
None except for one weeks hire
We've spent years pondering layouts before we took the plunge.....picking up our first motorhome this coming Saturday (yayyyy!!)

The main thing for us was that we know that for a few years we are going to mainly be using it in UK so a comfortable lounging area was crucial. I don't want to spend rainy evenings sitting bolt upright at a dinette so we wanted either a front lounge with 2 long sofas (which we got) or an end lounge. That ruled out most of the European models. We've ordered a Swift Bolero Black Ed 712sb.

I love that ours has got a sort of ensuite bathroom layout so you have plenty of room to get dried and dressed and it shuts off from main lounge area so you don't have to close all the blinds and/or kick everyone out of the van because you want a quick change/shower in privacy.

I'm very confused by the fact that our mh is 4 berth yet only has two seatbelted seats.....so be careful not to assume you can carry 4 people safely just because it has got enough beds for them. Luckily there are only 2 of us so 2 belts is enough.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

old1

Free Member
Jul 28, 2012
Funster No
Write 2 lists, four & against
We wrote down everything it must have, it ended up about 20 metres long, then you just look at as many as you can & shrink it all up, we got down too 7.5 metre, brought new & still think we have the right van.
Took about a year, but while deciding, I researched & purchased all the bit & bobs for inside, I thought it good fun, the wife called it an obsession, I'd even brought the brush for cleaning the roof (before we had a van) ha ha

Upvote 0

Barbara Hughes

Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
Penrith
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Since 2015
Wow, what a lot of replies and very quickly. Perhaps I can ask your thoughts on a couple of things mentioned.
1. What is the ideal layout? Obviously will be different for different people, but assume it is for a married couple. It would be interesting to find out what did not work, what did work and why.
2. Someone mentioned downsizing. There is a great temptation to buy big, afterall even the big ones are only about the size of an average lounge. Do people make the mistake of buying too big first time?

Great replies so far. Thanks to everyone.
We have just bought our first motorhome after looking for a year or more ...the layout for us was important we wanted a good sitting area with seatbelts but without having to have the bistro design, full kitchen..separate shower cubicle, large fridge/freezer ,a large garage to take a scooter/motorcycle oh and a must have the fixed bed ours are fixed twin with the option to have it as a transverse double bed we felt it was imperative to get it right the first time hopefully we have... we bought the Swift Kon- Tiki 635 it has all the things we need and much more ..we love it

Upvote 0

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just thought I'd give an update, yesterday we PXed our 7 weeks new van for an Autocruise Rhythm, a 6 Metre PVC, like I said earlier it's what we should have bought first, but that's the way it goes, this story will no doubt make a few snigger, some guffaw But don't worry I've got broad shoulders, I just hope it doesn't put anyone off buying one, it is not a warning, because in the MH world warnings don't make a jot of difference, do you buy with your heads or your heart, we are not the first to make such an error, and you can guarantee we won't be the last, we've swapped new for new, so an increase in cost but that's life, the drawbridges are being pulled up, can't keep affording this sort of error, best of luck to you all in your search for that vehicle that will make you happy on your travels, even after this error, no way do I want to give up travelling it's just so much fun, and I find it very relaxing, even in traffic jams, (now there's a first if ever)(y):whistle::cry::LOL:

Upvote 0

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
@whoa, I wish you every happiness and fun in your new van, we too are on our second (and hopefully last) van, which we love. Once you are out and about using yours, you will soon forget any financial pain involved in your Moho owning journey. So no sniggering from this funster, those who don't make mistakes are really living (in my opinion)
Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

old1

Free Member
Jul 28, 2012
Funster No
Just thought I'd give an update, yesterday we PXed our 7 weeks new van for an Autocruise Rhythm, a 6 Metre PVC, like I said earlier it's what we should have bought first, but that's the way it goes, this story will no doubt make a few snigger, some guffaw But don't worry I've got broad shoulders, I just hope it doesn't put anyone off buying one, it is not a warning, because in the MH world warnings don't make a jot of difference, do you buy with your heads or your heart, we are not the first to make such an error, and you can guarantee we won't be the last, we've swapped new for new, so an increase in cost but that's life, the drawbridges are being pulled up, can't keep affording this sort of error, best of luck to you all in your search for that vehicle that will make you happy on your travels, even after this error, no way do I want to give up travelling it's just so much fun, and I find it very relaxing, even in traffic jams, (now there's a first if ever)(y):whistle::cry::LOL:

Can I ask what you lost ?
Dont tell me the figure just %, as just interested.

Upvote 0

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
I estimate it to be around 25 to 28 %, firstly of course there always the governments take of vat of 20%, this is the bit I have to be careful with, I know what it says on paper what we were offered, I also know what the starting price was, so there is usually a bit of califudging in the mix to arrive at a price, not forgetting I had to pay some more other then the van as px, on reflection it does seem a waste, but as I said, I knew it was the one I wanted first time, but was sidetracked by someone else's view, no names no pack drill, but it was swmbo, our house is now run by hwmbo:Eeek::LOL: not sure how long that will last I will be back to being second fiddle, always the bridesmaid never the bride, isn't life fun, better copper up, and also take the pop bottles back to the shop, I laugh because there is no other choice, anyway it's only money, after years of being at it since the age of 15, also with what's happened to friends, relatives and colleagues over the past few years, we want to enjoy ourselves with out recriminations and live a bit,(y):cry: Because sadly they can't, because they are no longer with us

Upvote 0

washedup

Free Member
Jul 9, 2015
Fleet Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Ah, but most contributors talk only of selling, only to change to a different type/layout.
Many first-timers sell and give up. Two significant reasons for this are:-
1. In many areas of Britain and Europe, town parking for motorhomes is very restrictive. One is often stuck at the mobile home site with no access to the locality.
2. When compared to a decent saloon car pulling a caravan, the motorhome is noisier and not as comfortable, and is similarly priced to the car/caravan combination.
The first point (restrictive parking) appears to be increasingly addressed by the motorhome/towcar option. (This is the option I have reluctantly taken). Decide what's best for yourself.

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I would not say that the motorhome/ car caravan option are similarly priced.
The mh may be noisier, but they travel further afield.
Speak to caravanners who have changed to mh, and they do say it's a lot less work setting up on arrival, you are not confined to using campsites, and towing a caravan is hard work.

Upvote 0

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
we were tuggers for years, all good times and lots of fun. but as we got older, wanted a bit more room and ease of set-up.
bought an american model because it was everything we wanted in a mh. and after looking around we thought it was a better bargain.

Upvote 0

dac5

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
york
Funster No
MH
peugeot boxer
Exp
march 2014
Hi,
Our first thought was will it fit on the drive, Just! Then the layout, U shaped lounge suits us.
It was what we could afford. Hope to keep it a long time.

Upvote 0

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
On another thread, put it down to memory loss.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
, anyway it's only money, after years of being at it since the age of 15, also with what's happened to friends, relatives and colleagues over the past few years, we want to enjoy ourselves with out recriminations and live a bit,(y):cry: Because sadly they can't, because they are no longer with us
What a thought provoking post - thank you
'It's only money' is one of the most difficult lessons I learned in life (and continue to learn)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
What a thought provoking post - thank you
'It's only money' is one of the most difficult lessons I learned in life (and continue to learn)

Well I had better show a photo of what we bought, I did put it on the quiz as Sir OM wanted to have a look, anyway here's what we bought this time.

image.jpg

image.jpg

@Jonkil @The Dude

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
1. What is the ideal layout? Obviously will be different for different people, but assume it is for a married couple.

A really long van with a bed at each end.......

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
We were tuggers and had a 2 berth Bessacarr which was a great van but getting old. I was fed up with the bed making and the setting up of the full Isabella awning with extra bedroom if we had guests. Friends persuaded us to go to the Malvern show. I went with no intention of being influenced. The friends were on their third van and persuaded us that we needed what we wanted ourselves and that the grandchildren would be unlikely to come with us. Went away from the show convinced we should get rid of the old caravan and get a motorhome. This coincided with retirement. Eventually bought a 2 single berth Autotrail Savannah which we loved. First time away my wife felt claustrophobic with wall one side, wardrobe the other side and roof lockers above. She now sleeps in the lounge which is in fact cooler in hot climes and I'm happy in the back in a single bed but they are small and I'm 6ft 1in and can't stretch right out. The van is therefore on a short fuse and we will change it when we can. Like the idea of a fixed island bed but need good size lounge but want at least 4 belted seats just in case the grandkids want to come or my sone and family would like to borrow the van. We have had about 4 occasions when we would have benefitted from having 4 belted seats. What use is a 4 bed van with only 2 travel seats - waste of time IMHO!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back