why do manufactures use powder paint for exterior fittings

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by mentaliss, Apr 26, 2016.

1. mentaliss

mentaliss

In this case, twin rear view camera's where the paint has peeled off in under three years... we live right on the south coast and anything we put outside e.g. lights etc that are powered coated will be minus of there paint coating within three years...powder coat paint was devise for interior items like Hifi amps etc etc

2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Cheap and quick I guess..
    My business was satellite TV, most dishes were just steel and powder coated, they didn't last long near the coast. Soon went rusty and looked a mess.. However we had a nice sideline in upgrading to Aluminium dishes :) so that was a plus for me..

• Like Like x 1
  3. zac

zac Funster Life Member

Had exactly the same issue, camera fitted November and come March it had rusted, i did get it replaced by the same company that fitted it so that was one thing but for something that will always be on the outside you would of thought they would of used something a bit more resistant

4. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

It's relatively cheap to do......

......mine started rusting after a year (Waeco) so I removed it and painted with hammerite.

5. zac

zac Funster Life Member

I would of done the same if it had not been under warranty, i will be doing exactly that when this one starts to rust though. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Enword

Enword Funster

When I have exterior stuff Powder coated I spec minimal zinc coating base but prefer galvanise, thin sheet metal will distort with galvanising though.

7. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Every towbar I've had on a car has had the same problem, powder coating is fine until it gets a pinhole or chip in it then moisture gets under the coating and it just flakes off.

8. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

I'm using a mini CCTV camera: cast aluminium, powder coated, stainless fasteners and a concealed cable entry into the van. Oh and a shaped stainless plate underneath glued to the van to cover the four holes Brownhills drilled fitting a camera for the previous owner.

9. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Powder coating can be extremely durable - if done properly. And there lies the problem!

• Like Like x 2
  10. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

It works best with an etch primer sprayed on first the it will adhere to pot metal, I can powder coat items that will then last, the reason they use it is that it takes no skill to do and goes through the factory with out waiting for paint to dry. Save time and skilled labour, it also clings to nearly all the surfaces uniformly, however it is only a plastic film and the slightest crack allow moisture under it and filiform corrosion takes place, creeping along the surface and pushing the coating off,, just look at old aluminium garden furniture and it will lift off in lumps leaving the powdered oxide as a lousy surface to try and paint over to make it better again

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. ramsthom

ramsthom Funster

Powder coating is normally very durable. Its the substrate its painted on that is the problem. it should either be zinc phosphate or galvanised steel and coated with a self etch primer for outdoor use. They just probably powder coat over mild steel. It looks good but will only last a short time.

• Like Like x 3
  12. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

I forgot to mention that when I powder coat I normally bead blast the item first then use a solvent, then self etch then powder coat it. Most commercial items are blown straight on and baked, over the rust, scale and weld oxides. These flake offand the coating flakes off with them. once it has broken the plastic skin, water is in and the whole thing goes manky very fast.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Autowbars

Autowbars Funster

My camera mounting bracket is also flaking.
    Less than 12mths old.
    Just the action of tightening a screw up can break the coating

14. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Yep - surface preparation is everything.