Why did you change your motorhome ? (1 Viewer)

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
We changed from a caravan just over 2 years ago. Bought a 7 year old Autosleeper which turned out to have some issues, which we dealt with. Have now changed van for 2 main reasons, layout and age.
Main layout issue was external storage. I got a bit fed up with moving stuff - chairs, table, screens and the rest from hab to cab and back again. I wanted to be able to just pull over and use the habitation area without clutter.
As to age, it was now 9 years old, and after 2 years of having just the best holidays ever, we know we want to keep doing it as long as we can. So it was inevitable (yes, some might disagree!) that we were going to change some time, so why not now and get the benefit of a nice new modern van for the next few years.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Had two m/homes,went back to a c/van,then when deciding to live full time in Portugal,got another M/home.This third m/home,is a carbon copy of the first,on a Renault Master van PVC,same layout (Timberland Endeavour/Wildax Europa.. better build....Yes). It suits our needs while away,two long sofas at the back,mid kitchen one side,loo/shower the other and a driving position out of this world.
Would i change it?..... At the moment,Wildax do not do a LHD version of the Europa,they would do a LHD of some of their other models,but the Renault base vehicle......... Fits me like a glove. (Sad ? or what) i love it.
Tea Bag.
PS. "I!" make the bed up........... End of!! LOL!
PPS. First wife,"I!! want a FIXED BED !" ( Me 1... Her 0 . ) Don't you love it when a plan comes together!!
PPPS. Anyone know the number for the Portugues "Battered husbands" outfit ?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Lack of PAYLOAD, I bought my Oddesee 92 from a person in the village after seeing it for years languishing in their garden having only one trip a year out for the annual holiday to France. We drove all over the UK putting as many miles on as they did in three years in the first Year. However getting caught in the London Congestion Zone and a few points about the bed led us to another direction. Although the lovely garage is good the minus points make me want an Automatic gearbox. but I am still worried about payload as if I get another larger van then the licence issue worries me in a few years. But lighter ones are also nearer the bone for weight.
The other thing is the Chausson has some really bad draughts and it poorly heated so no good for winter trips.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
After 2 years of owning a superb 2005 Swift Kontiki boss decided time for one with fixed bed. one day!
Went to Peterborough show, bought 2012 Autotrail Delaware, fixed island bed, big fridge/freezer, lots of cupboards, decent sized separate shower and toilet, in fact exactly what she wanted, 1 week away and she hated it!

I love it !!

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thank you for all the reassuring answers. Gratifying to see so many people are happy with their Hymers. I'm expecting to be very happy with it too. Fixed french bed, pull down bed for visitors, roomy bathroom and kitchen, loads of storage, garage for skis etc. Loads of extras. Only niggle is I like to lounge and they're all upright captain type chairs which I will have to adjust to. There is always the bed to loll on of course.
What sold it for us is the historic reliability of the engine and the winterised water pipes etc for our skiing trips plus it's in beautiful condition with the promise of excellent backup and advice from the previous owner who will always be on the end of a phone.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have owned two Autotrails and now a Hymer Exsis i698 and love it changed first caus it wasn't quite right layout a Cheyene 696G bought new Tracker FB loved it but when we came to wanting to tow it was not up to the job even after a weight uprate. With the Exsis we feel we have got it just right and don't envisage changing in the near future(watch this space)
All this has happened over the last four years and two winters in Spain tours of France and Scotland and Wales and numerous other trips,it's the only way you'll get o know what's right for you.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Couple of reasons. Our last van had the perfect layout for us. but, this van has an almost identical layout, just better.
Points for.
1, A bit more legroom in the loo.
2, A bigger fridge/freezer.
3, A bigger payload,
4, Over cab bed which can be retracted when not in use.
5, A bit more locker space.
6, 3 years newer( we had had the other one 2 years).

Against.
1, A few less MPG.(probably due to extra weight).
2,No grill.(although we rarely used it)

There are always compromises, you just need to prioritize what is more important.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We will be on our 3rd one when the new one arrives next month hopefully. Our first was an Elddis and although we loved it and the layout suited us at the time we decided after 5 years we'd go for a fixed bed and larger lounge and also a better quality motorhome, we bought an Adria Matrix 680SP superb van and loved it. We kept this van for 2 1/2 years and due to Sophie heading off to uni leaving just the two of us for 90% of the time we thought we'd change to a smaller van and have went for a new Globecar with fixed singles that can make a large double. We feel this will suit our needs better as the van is used mainly for 1 or 2 nights away apart from out annual 3 weeks abroad. Only time will tell if we have done the right thing which I'm sure after a couple of outings we will happy with smaller van. We plan on keeping this for at least 5 years and see how things are then with work and family.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Simple. Totally unusable toilet, obviously designed by someone who never needed to poo whilst on holidayl.

Or, sorry, maybe someone who did not know how to use one. This comes up regularly, the secret is open the trap first, lay down some toilet paper and defecate away with gusto.

A SOG also helps with smells.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Or, sorry, maybe someone who did not know how to use one. This comes up regularly, the secret is open the trap first, lay down some toilet paper and defecate away with gusto.

A SOG also helps with smells.

Only on exit from the van. Sure Mrs Hilldweller would not agree with you with regard to the Gusto bit.(y)

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
We've had four motorhomes but they've grown and changed as our family has grown and needs have changed. We've gone from a small 4 berth english over-cab coach built, to larger euro coach built bunk beds, to larger winterised fixed double over large garage tag axle to our now present (and hopefully last) rear lounge tag axle coach built.

Everyone's needs and wants are different.

If one motorhome was right, there would be no others to try!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sure Mrs Hilldweller would not agree with you with regard to the Gusto bit.(y)

I carefully turn her hearing aid off, so all I get is "was that an Earth tremor dearest, are we safe, and this damned hearing aid had gone off again".

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We've had four motorhomes but they've grown and changed as our family has grown and needs have changed. We've gone from a small 4 berth english over-cab coach built, to larger euro coach built bunk beds, to larger winterised fixed double over large garage.
Everyone's needs and wants are different.

If one motorhome was right, there would be no others to try!
Never found a UK built van that came close to any of our euro vans.
I suppose it depends on how you want to use them, but for me they need to stop building caravans with engines.

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
:ROFLMAO:
We have had several MHs/PVCs now with a rear fixed bed (1 French bed, 4 transverse including our current one and wouldn't have a MH/PVC without one. The main reason we changed from our previous PVC (Autocruise Accent) to our current PVC (Globecar FamilyScout L) was simply because we wanted virtually the same layout which we knew worked well for us (our previous vans had been similar) but with a bit bigger lounge - the Autocruise had a half-dinette whereas the Globecar being 36cm longer has room for an 'L' shaped lounge and more storage, there were other reasons too but this was the major decider ... can't see any reason why we'd want to change it for a long time.

Now where have I heard that before M ??? (Refer to top for my smiley Minxy ). Flip in iPad has a mind of its own !

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
A question. Duo beds suit me, but do the triangular central beds cause trouble if the wife thinks you are too close for comfort and there is not enough room, do you get pushed off the small,end? The problem with my tranverse be is that two of us alternating to the loo in the night means crawling over or under then falling to you death off the cliifs edge at the side of the bed. the solution to that involves what I hate, making up the other bed dragging bits of table then the cushions into a puzzle to get right then climbing over it to get the sleeping bag and pillow from the overhead locker. Then in the morning reversing everything before being able to stand up.
Having fixed beds takes up a LOT of space that could be living area, but drop downs might fix that the new 620 looks promising but awful colour schemes. and tatty build bits. A class with longitudinal beds even better but not many of them yet.

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
I always thought that about taking up space! I now love to lay and read , yes I usually drop off to sleep but that's fine.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We love our '2 living areas' ... the front lounge/dining/cooking area and the rear slobbing out area. Its nice being able to slob out on the bed relaxing and doing my puzzle book with the rear doors wide open enjoying the scenery and weather whilst hubby is up the front end sorting out maps, planning, or cooking! :D

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Loved our 2nd van, which we've just traded in and now waiting for new one to be delivered in late spring.

Why did we decide to change:

1. Really wanted / needed an automatic - comfortmatic gearbox ( dodgy knee and more relaxing to drive).

2. Decided to change from coachbuilt to pvc and slice nearly a foot off the width, again for more relaxed driving around town and down country lanes.

3. Had current van just over five years from new and fancied a change. Also hope to maintain 100% reliability record by buying new...

New van is a Rapido Dreamer - fixed single beds in a 5.99 metre van, so quite cosy.

Mike

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We love our '2 living areas' ... the front lounge/dining/cooking area and the rear slobbing out area. Its nice being able to slob out on the bed relaxing and doing my puzzle book with the rear doors wide open enjoying the scenery and weather whilst hubby is up the front end sorting out maps, planning, or cooking! :D

You are so, so lucky.
Yes and no. Firstly yes that he likes cooking ... then no 'cause I end up cleaning up the ruddy 'bomb site' he leaves behind!

Nov 4, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Loved our Avondale. The huge bed when made up was fantastic, but there was the rub, It was bed or lounge, not both, After 4 1/2 years decided we could afford to trade for new and have plumped for a fixed bed.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We have only had one van ............... a Globecar Globescout....

31000 miles and 2 1/2 years later we can see that we got it RIGHT FIRST TIME :D

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Lay out and size..
Did it more or less by accident too.
Had no intention of changing it but got bored at Peterborough show.. went for a walk and Woman fell in love with the new one !

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
Last was duty layout, we wanted an island bed. Next change will be to go slightly smaller but still with island bed.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Were on our first motorhome. Bought it 14 months ago and we absolutely love it.

Fixed bed, good sized shower & toilet, seat belts for 2 additonal travellers, full size cooker, big fridge freezer, great payload, etc etc.

A british built van (no not a swear word...), eveything works, is reliable, comfortable and not too big at 7.1m.

Are we happy with it... well has the Pope got a balcony.... we are chuffed.

I love Hymers and Burstners, because of the insulation, double floor etc but interestingly enough, we would spend a lot more money and compromise on some of things that are important to us.

Each to their own. :):)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
We loved our first van, an Auto-sleeper Pescara, but a small engine and not enough outside storage eventually got the better of us, that and the fact I'd been secretly lusting after a Hymer for a while, meant as soon as we could afford it we sold the A/S and bought my dream:inlove: (The SWMBO loves her as well now:whew:) not perfect but bloody good and will do us for a few more years(y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Having fixed beds takes up a LOT of space that could be living area
Not necessarily, it depends on overall layout. Our Burstner is 4 feet longer than the Autoquest we had but because the cab seats swivel (they didn't in the Autoquest) we actually have more daytime living area despite the fact that we now have a fixed bed.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Had our Hymer b544 coming up to 5 years now, our first and only van. We almost changed it this year but found ourselves looking at vans with the same layout which has loads of daytime lounging space. It's given us no trouble and sailed through the last 3 years MOT without an advisory worth worrying about. So instead of changing we've had it reupholstered. Still think about changing, but we are a sentimental pair and like that we share our memories with 'old Harry'.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I'd love to change and get one with a rear lounge, a dinette and a garage for the bikes but after years of searching haven't found it, needing to be under 3.5t is the problem we're getting otherwise we'd change.
We already have a rear lounge with 2 single electric orthopedic beds that are the bees knees and couldn't change to just dinnette seats to sit in all day.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We bought our "first van" when it was 6 years old, we bought used to make sure we liked the motorhome life after years "tugging" and always said we would buy new if we liked it.

Well 4 years later we must have spent about 18months living in this one, yes we would change but really just because we can, we would have to have something different in the overall layout so would try slightly smaller at 8 metres and Jen wants the two sofas instead of the bar that we have now, mind you we looked in a Concorde with a bar a couple of days ago and she liked that and the factory will build a transverse bed Charisma at a tad over 8 metres if you ask them nicely and part with lots of cash.

Watch this space.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back