Why did you change your motorhome ? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Lots of people mention that they have had a couple and dealers have told us we are almost definitely going to swap around before settling. We are spending a lot on a Hymer and really expect to keep it for the duration (just about to set off fulltiming)
Curious as to people's reasons. Is it mainly layout?

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi,jacsprat we have changed a few times as it takes a little time to find out what suits you the best, were are on our 4th van now and like the 2 long sofas to flop on and the washroom along the back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Came back to motorhoming after a break caused by buying our property in France. (We had sold our previous one to help fund it).

We bought a 7 year old model to ensure we still liked the way of life. We did so, after eighteen months, we traded up to our ideal layout.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I think in many (most?) cases it can be just one thing that's wrong.
It could be layout, payload, garage (lack of), engine power, vehicle width/length, damp, base vehicle reliability etc. Any one of these might be enough to want to get another one.

And of course there's always - hmmm...... that one looks nice :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have always changed due to different family dynamics - so yes, layout.

One layout suited when the kids were very small, then different requirement when they were big teenagers, then it was just us two (and occasionally one extra) and now we have grand-children and are about to change to a slightly bigger mh again. Hope this one will last us 10 years. :)

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks
Yes I guess I mean despite wear and tear reasons.
As we are a retired couple I think our needs will be the same for a few years. Hopefully

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We've just changed ours after only around 6 months of ownership. Our reasons were that we quickly realised that we needed more lounge area and that ivory coloured interior with a dog isn't the best! We also decided we'd like an island bed rather than two singles with an infill. Other than that we loved the vehicle itself - it drives really well, plenty of power, plenty of storage, comfortable, incredible good looks!

After looking at a few other makes we decided to have the same as what we have but bigger with a different colour interior and an island bed.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Thanks
Yes I guess I mean despite wear and tear reasons.
As we are a retired couple I think our needs will be the same for a few years. Hopefully

That's what we thought and then the Grandchildren came along and the elder loves being away with Gamma and Gan-dad!!!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Layout for us as well.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
oh lawks... We have a black n white dog and fawn covers.
How much money did you lose when you changed? (If you don't mind the question)

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Catering for visitors ! 4 berth for two of us.
I imagine we will be very flexible with layout as we have only had years of not very comfortable camping behind us - but clearly this will not be the case going by all the evidence!

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A good question. Experience is a wonderful thing to have under your belt, but unless you are very lucky, the best lessons are often learned through mistakes. Someone said it may be just one thing that makes you change. True. For us, we had no issues with the quality of our first van (Dethleffs, so no surprise) but it just didn't give us enough lounging or cooking space. We could have lived with the swing-wall bathroom. Of course, had we had more money to spend when we bought that first van we might have bought mor wisely, so budget did come into it.
Looking back, although we got a good Px deal when we swapped the Dethleffs for a brand new Chausson Allegro at the NEC show, we were seduced by what looked like a very comfortable and good quality van with more lounging space, a bigger kitchen and a huge bathroom. It cost us the first van plus £16k.
It was soon obvious that the build quality was not great. Flimsy cabinet panels, poor hinges on doors, failure of the big overcab roof light, front coming loose from the high level oven. On top of that, the payload was poor for long tours for two, the storage access from outside was poor and the rear overhang was very long. Good looks_ and it was a good looking van - are not everything.
When we pxed that one for the older Hymer, we had learn a lot and this time I am sure we have chosen well. So if you are spending lots of cash on a Hymer, you should feel confident about your purchase, especially if you have carried out the right, sensible checks. Gary

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
After 9 years, 6 of which we have been full timing, the only reason we would change van is if we returned to bricks and mortar, as parking a 7m van could prove problematic.

For the first 3 years we had our van in storage while living in a house and that was expensive, as the insurance stipulated conditions, such as 24 hour on site security, 24hr CCTV coverage and in a secure compound.

My first MH was a Bedford CF Autosleeper and that went up in flames after being parked for 4 months over the winter outside the house. Fire Officer said it started in the steering column, not arson.

I had looked at many vans and opted for the S700 Hymer 1992 and the layout suited us fine.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
In a less flippant post ;) We took quite a long time to find our ideal MoHo and it's a very long way away from what we set out to buy!
As tuggers for over twenty years we were determined to get away from making up beds every night, we wanted a separate shower/toilet, yadda, yadda, yadda. Our choices were getting bigger and bigger, tag axles came into it so we decided to really sit down and re-think it. I measured our drive which is where it was to be parked, we came on here and read and read, asked questions and soaked it all in.
Ok, 7.5 mtrs max, only need two berths, fixed bed takes up too much room, find bigger kitchen for Mrs Badknee to rattle the pots and pans, two long benches to lounge/sleep on and hey presto. Mo the motorhome was chosen.
Eleven years old so someone has lost a lot of money, 22k so it's not yet run in, new tyres, cam belt replaced, air ride suspension on the rear, uprated to 3.750t, low level so were not pushing a big overhead bed we didn't want, good size washroom, massive kitchen.
Job done (y)
image.jpg

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
I changed mine after twelve months due to the poor build quality doors falling off,rubber seals coming off,and a host of other faults in the end I decided to trade it in for a hymer Which I am pleased with.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Simple. Totally unusable toilet, obviously designed by someone who never needed to poo whilst on holiday. Or never went on holiday after a big meal.

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
An excellent question! We have been 'Happy Campers' for years, and have thoroughly enjoyed all the various places we have stayed in. Trouble was, it took us a couple of hours to set up camp after arriving, which is fine, but a little limiting - you don't want to be doing a two hour set up for a night stop!

We looked into caravanning, but didn't like the idea much. Motor homes seemed a much more attractive prospect, hence we bought 'Nigel', an ancient Talbot based Pilote Atlantis 38CX, so see if we liked the motorised approach. A year later, we were sold, but needed a little more space, and a fixed bed. So Nigel was (sadly) traded in for a 2007 Rapido 746F which, so far, seems to be a worthy replacement (once we get all the little niggles sorted out!). Norfolk last weekend, New Forest the previous one, and a tour of Scotland in planning for next May, already!!

Anyone want to buy a well-used tent???

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We had a autosleeper ford legend for 4 years which we bought after seeing it for sale in a layby to see if we liked mhing
then found our hymer love it maybe a different lay out would persuade us to change otherwise very happy

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
We decided making the bed up and down was a chore also I wanted to be able to take over the driving which I wouldn't have been comfortable doing in the larger van , so we decided to downsize and have a fixed bed , ;) age catches up with us all in time ! and O.H being 8 years older than me can hopefully look forward to being driven for a change :LOL: Ive yet to convince him of that though!!!

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
I traded in a very nice Hymer B544 for a new Hymer B634 because of the layout my wife liked the space of the 634. It was a bad mistake the 634 was very poorly built 2006 reg. I only kept it 3 years and have now got a Rapido which is very well made.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Had a G reg Pilote A Class R750, built like a tank, real wood, ceramic tiles in the work bench top, instant hot water, a loo you could sit on without your knees and forehead hitting the wall, basically:cool: indestructable!(y)

Didnt have power steering!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had the first Hymer for over 5 years from new, fancied a change wanted an A Class & a garage. The current one is only 18 months old , but keep getting tempted to change not because we need to change just with the Pound so strong against the Euro just makes it very tempting.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have had several MHs/PVCs now with a rear fixed bed (1 French bed, 4 transverse including our current one and wouldn't have a MH/PVC without one. The main reason we changed from our previous PVC (Autocruise Accent) to our current PVC (Globecar FamilyScout L) was simply because we wanted virtually the same layout which we knew worked well for us (our previous vans had been similar) but with a bit bigger lounge - the Autocruise had a half-dinette whereas the Globecar being 36cm longer has room for an 'L' shaped lounge and more storage, there were other reasons too but this was the major decider ... can't see any reason why we'd want to change it for a long time.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Further to previous post.

This is now our sixth Motorhome over a period of 30 years, so we consider ourselves reasonably experienced.

When I retired I bought an Autosleeper as I had always considered them a well built British M/H. It proved a total disaster.

Now, we would say layout rules every time. Quality is obviously important. However, you will find on this Forum those who would never buy a British van. Those who would never buy a Continental van, and those who, like most of us, will recommend the van they currently have.

Take a good look at what is available. Even if you make a mistake you do not lose a lot if you have to change.

Enjoy!(y)

T

Tackle man

Deleted User
Had two British made motorhomes from new that were very poorly made. The second one was a Watertrail that came with an onboard waterfall on the offside wall. We then ordered our Hymer Exsis i688 and after waiting five months for delivery have never been happier. We love it! (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back