Why did you change your motorhome ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jac Sprat, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Lots of people mention that they have had a couple and dealers have told us we are almost definitely going to swap around before settling. We are spending a lot on a Hymer and really expect to keep it for the duration (just about to set off fulltiming)
    Curious as to people's reasons. Is it mainly layout?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Haven't, don't want to. :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

Hi,jacsprat we have changed a few times as it takes a little time to find out what suits you the best, were are on our 4th van now and like the 2 long sofas to flop on and the washroom along the back.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We had a visit from Asda :D

• Like Like x 3
  5. maison

maison Funster

Came back to motorhoming after a break caused by buying our property in France. (We had sold our previous one to help fund it).

We bought a 7 year old model to ensure we still liked the way of life. We did so, after eighteen months, we traded up to our ideal layout.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Now back in Sarfend for a couple of months.
    I think in many (most?) cases it can be just one thing that's wrong.
    It could be layout, payload, garage (lack of), engine power, vehicle width/length, damp, base vehicle reliability etc. Any one of these might be enough to want to get another one.

And of course there's always - hmmm...... that one looks nice :)

• Like Like x 3
  7. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

We have always changed due to different family dynamics - so yes, layout.

One layout suited when the kids were very small, then different requirement when they were big teenagers, then it was just us two (and occasionally one extra) and now we have grand-children and are about to change to a slightly bigger mh again. Hope this one will last us 10 years. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Thanks
    Yes I guess I mean despite wear and tear reasons.
    As we are a retired couple I think our needs will be the same for a few years. Hopefully

9. Oriel

Oriel

We've just changed ours after only around 6 months of ownership. Our reasons were that we quickly realised that we needed more lounge area and that ivory coloured interior with a dog isn't the best! We also decided we'd like an island bed rather than two singles with an infill. Other than that we loved the vehicle itself - it drives really well, plenty of power, plenty of storage, comfortable, incredible good looks!

After looking at a few other makes we decided to have the same as what we have but bigger with a different colour interior and an island bed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

That's what we thought and then the Grandchildren came along and the elder loves being away with Gamma and Gan-dad!!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Its fun that's why!:)

• Like Like x 4
  12. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Layout for us as well.

13. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Simply wanted a permanent bed.

14. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

oh lawks... We have a black n white dog and fawn covers.
    How much money did you lose when you changed? (If you don't mind the question)

15. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Catering for visitors ! 4 berth for two of us.
    I imagine we will be very flexible with layout as we have only had years of not very comfortable camping behind us - but clearly this will not be the case going by all the evidence!

16. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

A good question. Experience is a wonderful thing to have under your belt, but unless you are very lucky, the best lessons are often learned through mistakes. Someone said it may be just one thing that makes you change. True. For us, we had no issues with the quality of our first van (Dethleffs, so no surprise) but it just didn't give us enough lounging or cooking space. We could have lived with the swing-wall bathroom. Of course, had we had more money to spend when we bought that first van we might have bought mor wisely, so budget did come into it.
    Looking back, although we got a good Px deal when we swapped the Dethleffs for a brand new Chausson Allegro at the NEC show, we were seduced by what looked like a very comfortable and good quality van with more lounging space, a bigger kitchen and a huge bathroom. It cost us the first van plus £16k.
    It was soon obvious that the build quality was not great. Flimsy cabinet panels, poor hinges on doors, failure of the big overcab roof light, front coming loose from the high level oven. On top of that, the payload was poor for long tours for two, the storage access from outside was poor and the rear overhang was very long. Good looks_ and it was a good looking van - are not everything.
    When we pxed that one for the older Hymer, we had learn a lot and this time I am sure we have chosen well. So if you are spending lots of cash on a Hymer, you should feel confident about your purchase, especially if you have carried out the right, sensible checks. Gary

• Like Like x 4
  17. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

After 9 years, 6 of which we have been full timing, the only reason we would change van is if we returned to bricks and mortar, as parking a 7m van could prove problematic.

For the first 3 years we had our van in storage while living in a house and that was expensive, as the insurance stipulated conditions, such as 24 hour on site security, 24hr CCTV coverage and in a secure compound.

My first MH was a Bedford CF Autosleeper and that went up in flames after being parked for 4 months over the winter outside the house. Fire Officer said it started in the steering column, not arson.

I had looked at many vans and opted for the S700 Hymer 1992 and the layout suited us fine.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Badknee

Badknee Funster

In a less flippant post ;) We took quite a long time to find our ideal MoHo and it's a very long way away from what we set out to buy!
    As tuggers for over twenty years we were determined to get away from making up beds every night, we wanted a separate shower/toilet, yadda, yadda, yadda. Our choices were getting bigger and bigger, tag axles came into it so we decided to really sit down and re-think it. I measured our drive which is where it was to be parked, we came on here and read and read, asked questions and soaked it all in.
    Ok, 7.5 mtrs max, only need two berths, fixed bed takes up too much room, find bigger kitchen for Mrs Badknee to rattle the pots and pans, two long benches to lounge/sleep on and hey presto. Mo the motorhome was chosen.
    Eleven years old so someone has lost a lot of money, 22k so it's not yet run in, new tyres, cam belt replaced, air ride suspension on the rear, uprated to 3.750t, low level so were not pushing a big overhead bed we didn't want, good size washroom, massive kitchen.
    Job done (y) image.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  19. kelv

kelv Funster Life Member

I changed mine after twelve months due to the poor build quality doors falling off,rubber seals coming off,and a host of other faults in the end I decided to trade it in for a hymer Which I am pleased with.

20. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

>> Why did you change your motorhome ?

Haven't done this. Got it right first time.

• Like Like x 3