Why Britain is losing out ..

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Nov 4, 2008.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

No one who has travelled in France can have failed to notice the number of foreign motorhomes. Thousands if not tens of thousands flock to France each year, not only in the season but throughout the year.

Brits, Germans, Dutch, Italians, Spanish, etc , it's like a united nations of vans on some sites, and they don't all go for the good weather or the wine.. no, they visit because of the attitude of the French to motorhomers, we are made welcome, excellent facilities are provided and although there are height barriers they always make parking available for vans.. usually free.

When asked by French who are thinking of visiting the UK what it's like, do we have aires, what are the site costs etc, once informed they raise their eyes and you can see them mentally scoring off the UK as a future destination.. they won't come, can you blame them?

Britain is loosing out massively, we have high fuel prices, height barriers, high handed officials, high traffic volumes, high camp site prices, but with virtually no aires, we will never attract the foreign motorhomer.

I'm aware of the work and petitions going on by some to improve the situation and the progress made, you have my greatest admiration, but frankly, I cannot see it changing any time soon.. if ever..

Is there anything else we can do, short of blockading Downing St. ?

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Its a sorry state of affairs I agree. I am all for a blockade, but not Downing street, I can't afford the £200 LEZ fee:Eeek:

3. madbluemad

madbluemad

We parked in a campsite at Barmouth in the early spring of this year. I had just turned the engine off and got out of the cab when a German couple approched me and asked how much my pitch fee had been. They coudnt believe what they were being charged.

I could do nothing other than confirm that they had been charged correctley. They were flabergasted. I dont think they will be back and of course they will tell there friends.

Jim :Doh:

4. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Why when you make a ferry booking are you ask your nationality? could it be Brits get loaded.

Was looking the other day and it happened, think it was the tunnel.

5. Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete Read Only Funster

Am I missing something here ?

I don't get back to the UK much but last June I stayed at Moffat in Scotland for 3 days @ £7.50 pn and at Roberts Bridge for 2 days @ £9.50 pn. Which I think is very reasonable, when you consider that here in Spain in the season 33 euros a night is common.

Pete:Cool:

6. scotjimland

That's why you see so many Spanish motorhomes in Southern France.. they don't come for the weather..

We are paying £9 for a cl with ehu.. not too bad for the UK , but I could have the same in France for €5, with better weather.

7. Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete Read Only Funster

It could also be that it gets too hot in Spain in the summer, even for the Spanish:Rofl1:

8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

With well over 8,000 new registrations every year and that doesn't include caravans! Reasonably priced campsites are going to be increasingly difficult to find as prices go up along with demand. New campsites are just not coming on line.:Sad:

9. madbluemad

madbluemad

Hi
    Talking about the UK it all depends upon the facilities that the site has, the time of year, the site location etc etc. During the high season in the UK on a decent site in a popular location you will be paing £21.00 per night basic.

During bank holidays most decent sites will not take you unless you book for the week.

This year we paid less than half that price in Spain on a site which was far superior to any that I have seen in the UK.

Jim :Smile:

Edit: dont know about Scotland

10. scotjimland

Quite, not only here, in Southern Spain there is a net loss of sites to developers who build more concrete abominations.. but who can blame the site owners..? they can work for the rest of their lives and make a decent income, or sell for a few million, retire and buy a nice RV ...:Laughing::Laughing:

11. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Councils are frightened of occupation by itinerants. IMO, most will never pass plans for Aire like stops here because they know how costly it is to get the wasters off the property and then clean up after them. If only the authorities would apply the law to all, I am sure things would improve as the council's would not have to worry about the Aire being turned into a scrap yard and open air toilet.

12. Road Runner

Small mindedness in this country sadly (rather like the PC mob:Doh::RollEyes:)

Areas dependant on tourism and constant advertising for business yet sites not allowed even the smallest of signs.

In France the councils have signs for most touristy businesses outside and inside of towns and most useful when your driving a 34 foot bus with a car on the back, most welcome sight sometimes to know your right. In the UK you just have to guess.

Same goes in the US if you stop your likely to spend so do$h locally :thumb:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  13. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

It's their human right to turn it in to what ever they like:Rofl1:

14. Road Runner

But these are international people how do differing countries get it right and us as usual so wrong?

15. Jim

Jim Ringleader

So says a judge in Brussels:BigGrin:

16. Road Runner

But its only the UK who listens to him or her:RollEyes: or does he single us out in all his ruling:Wink::Rofl1:

17. weejohnw

weejohnw Funster

cost and no facilities

Hi there we have just joined the motorhome fraternity and plan to visit Belgium and France next year.
    We had a few days recently in the Irish Republic only to be on a Forest Park site with "traveler" neighbours, very un-nerving.
    Just last week we visited Co. Antrim. Carrickfergus Council is the first here to install French style Aire facilities, one in Carrickfergus beside the castle and another in Whitehead, a few miles up the coast. Both had parking spaces lined out, presumably to fit Dinky models. However the "unit" at Whitehead had been - you've guessed it, vandalised.
    We are looking forward to visiting France next year on our Battlefield tour, then hopefully for some warmer weather than we're used to, and to experience the relaxed atmosphere where motorhomers are considered as tourists and welcomed as an asset to their community.
    Regards.

18. keith

keith Funster

So what do the French do?

They have the same problems, I have seen a few places that have exactly the same mess in France as we get here.

19. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I'm not sure what they do. most of our "Human Rights" laws were probably dreamt up in France, so i am sure they have the problem too.

The Aires have been around for a very long time. If the French had no aires today, would they start building them tomorrow?

20. scotjimland

Probably not, but they are still maintaining and investing in them, I've seen resurfacing and EHU upgraded on at least two aires but also seen one with the bourne trashed.. presumably for the cash.. but with over 3,000 aires it's likely a few will suffer.