Why are ugly chunky E Bikes so popular? (1 Viewer)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Dunno @Jim ,the same people buy ugly chunky motorhomes ,hope that helps ..haha
Lol a friend thought this was a picture of our new MH when we posted it!!
image.jpg

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If you have the interest and can justify the cost their are new bikes around with the Brose motor which is very small and very powerful, coupled with a battery in frame they are pretty sleek for an e bike.

lots of manufacturers beginning to use this drive in all style of bikes

View attachment 88531

Its got no mudguards , who wants a wet arris :rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
So what height should the saddle be?

On my bike I can just about touch the floor with my toes, but only just.

I get really knackered after about 10 miles but I always thought that was because I was a fat unfit git.

That video is pretty much spot on.

The short version is that with your feet on the pedals in your normal riding position with the pedal at the bottom of it's rotation your knee should be very slightly bent.

Forget about being able to touch the floor. You don't need to and if you can then your saddle is too low.

Another good tip is to invest in some cleats. When you're clipped in you even out the work you're doing so don't work as hard.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I see so many with the saddle so low, I cringe. Their quads and knees must be mashed in a really short time, leading them to believe that they really need a motor when all they need is an Allen key.

Motor or not, raise your saddle to the correct height :)

The only problem is , that if I do this with mine , I end up with the handle bars being too low. Then it kills my back !
The joys of having long legs!
I have a lovely Dutch style "sit up and beg" posh pale pink bike with white mud guards , basket and panier rack at the back, by Giant. Ralph bought if for my birthday a few years back. It's a great bike.
Only problem is it also has big wheels with thick black and white tyres. So it doesn't fit on a fiamma bike rack, and had to go in the garage of our old MH. I recon we are going to go down the folded bike route with our PVC Pug. Without motors.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
That video is pretty much spot on.

The short version is that with your feet on the pedals in your normal riding position with the pedal at the bottom of it's rotation your knee should be very slightly bent.

Forget about being able to touch the floor. You don't need to and if you can then your saddle is too low.

Another good tip is to invest in some cleats. When you're clipped in you even out the work you're doing so don't work as hard.
Fine until you forget atout the cleats at the lights...........
maxresdefault.jpg

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Fine until you forget atout the cleats at the lights...........
View attachment 88550

They're a great aid to natural selection (y)

People who forget them, have them too tight or don't get used to unclipping quickly are probably going to be thinned out due to other stupidity anyway. (y):D

Anyway if you wear Lycra with them it means you don't have to stop at traffic lights :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Most I see are cheap heavy hunks of iron, much like the £100 Halfords special but with a motor attached. If all you've ever cycled is a heavy cheap hard to ride bike I suppose the motor must be much appreciated. But eBikes are sooo expensive. For the money you could buy a proper strong lightweight bike that will last a lifetime. Ride a piece of pig iron and you'll want a motor, but spend the money on a proper bike and you'll find how much easier they are to ride and most of you won't want or need a motor. :)
That's got to be one of the most stupid questions I've seen. Not all of us have more money than sense, and not all of us are fit enough to attempt to set out on a bike ride without some form of backup. My main use for a bike is for use with the MH when abroad, since we don't take the car then, and is limited to local trips to the shops etc., which would be to far for me to walk health-wise. Since we have two large dogs which we aren't prepared to leave locked in the MH on their own it isn't used for extended local sightseaing trips. I also use it for local trips to the shops from home on occasions which helps in a small way with exercise.
For this sort of use my 'cheap chinese junk' will outlast me and is totally cost effective. I don't need a Bosch motor or Lycra to boost my ego.

Malcolm

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I've tried a lot of e-bikes. I've also ridden a lot of "standard" bikes.

The standard bike is no longer a real option due to ill health - as said above the ebike gets me out and about when the thought of using a standard bike would make me stay home.

I also need a very low step-though so not much choice - even a standard ladies' frame is too high, so it's a chunky ebike. On the flat I ride without assist, up hills I am grateful for the help.

EDIT: The ebike also carries quite a bit of shopping .... in panniers and in the front basket. I would not be able to carry the same amount without the bike - even with a wheelbarrow. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
That's got to be one of the most stupid questions I've seen. Not all of us have more money than sense, and not all of us are fit enough to attempt to set out on a bike ride without some form of backup. My main use for a bike is for use with the MH when abroad, since we don't take the car then, and is limited to local trips to the shops etc., which would be to far for me to walk health-wise. Since we have two large dogs which we aren't prepared to leave locked in the MH on their own it isn't used for extended local sightseaing trips. I also use it for local trips to the shops from home on occasions which helps in a small way with exercise.
For this sort of use my 'cheap chinese junk' will outlast me and is totally cost effective. I don't need a Bosch motor or Lycra to boost my ego.

Malcolm

Malcolm, I asked why big heavy bikes with motors are popular opposed to light bikes without, which for many would be as easy to ride.. You could tell me of your experiences without being rude. :rolleyes:

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Malcolm, I asked why big heavy bikes with motors are popular opposed to light bikes without, which for many would be as easy to ride.. You could tell me of your experiences without being rude. :rolleyes:
It wasn't meant to be rude Jim. merely a statement of fact. With a little bit of thought you could have answered your own question . On reflection I think you could have phrased your post slightly better. There was an implied criticism of anyone who chooses to ride a cheap e-bike without you considering their need for value for money in their own circumstances or their need for power assistance on any bike rather than laziness

Malcolm

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It wasn't meant to be rude Jim. merely a statement of fact. With a little bit of thought you could have answered your own question . On reflection I think you could have phrased your post slightly better. There was an implied criticism of anyone who chooses to ride a cheap e-bike without you considering their need for value for money in their own circumstances or their need for power assistance on any bike rather than laziness

Malcolm
How can it be a fact?

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Malcolm

On the contrary, read the post again, I was not criticising anyone, implied or otherwise.

On reflection you could have come across less rude. :)

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Most of the cheap chunky E-bikes have small wheels and a lower centre of gravity which appeals to peeps as they get older and less nimble. Lightweight expensive road bikes with large diameter wheels don't appeal to most folks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back