Why are ugly chunky E Bikes so popular?

Discussion in 'Bikes and eBikes' started by Jim, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Most I see are cheap heavy hunks of iron, much like the £100 Halfords special but with a motor attached. If all you've ever cycled is a heavy cheap hard to ride bike I suppose the motor must be much appreciated. But eBikes are sooo expensive. For the money you could buy a proper strong lightweight bike that will last a lifetime. Ride a piece of pig iron and you'll want a motor, but spend the money on a proper bike and you'll find how much easier they are to ride and most of you won't want or need a motor. :)

• Like Like x 5
  2. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

Tell that to my knackered knees

• Like Like x 11
  3. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Because there cheap Chinese rubbish:)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Not all can afford over a grand on a bike

• Like Like x 7
  5. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

You trying to wind us e-bike riders up Jim?
    We have both a proper decent bike and a decent e-bike, both have there uses. The e-bike comes into it's own in very hilly areas where you would think twice about taking a standard bike out. For us e-bikes don't make cycling any easier just means we go twice as far, much faster & up hills we wouldn't normally tackle.
    Also means if we want to visit somewhere 20 miles away from where we have parked the van just hop on the e-bikes, probably wouldn't bother on standard bikes.

Until you have ridden a good quality e-bike you won't appreciate the riding experience they give.

Edit:
    Would agree if not prepared to spend your money on a good quality e-bike better to spend it a good quality standard bike, some quite good ones around now for under a grand (standard push bikes).

2nd Edit:
    I didn't read the title properly, I see you were only talking about the cheap junk.:)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Sorry Jim but some of us can't afford a luxury expensive bike so a cheaper all be it uglier ebike is for us. I found I could do more miles ,enjoyed cycling more and what's more could keep up( and overtake!) the OH! Have you seen the hills in Sheffield?!

• Like Like x 14
  7. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

My ebike is easier to ride than my normal (not cheap) bike. it has better rolling road resistance, and is often used without the battery. Can cycle for long distances on the flat, but asthma prevents me from doing as much uphill as i would like.
    Benefit is, that as time goes on i can cycle longer distances on more varied terrain without the electric by the end of my trip, so is helping my fitness rather than making me lazy.
    Unfortunately now have a van we can take the motorbike in, so no room for my bike :( but doing more walking to compensate (y)

• Like Like x 8
  8. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

A lot of people think they need eBikes because they are riding the wrong "normal" bike. For example riding a mountain bike, no matter how expensive or cheap, any great distance on the road is always going to be much harder work than a road bike or even a hybrid.

The same applies if the bike is the wrong size for you. You're going to be working much harder than you need to and that motor is going to look tempting.

Anyone buying any type of bike should buy it from a proper cycle shop where they know how to measure and match you to the correct size frame.

• Like Like x 7
  9. Judge Mental

Agree..But proper bikes cost proper money. And that's what your up against.....many can't see the value as they don't recognize the difference between good and bad

• Like Like x 4
  10. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I know but even a cheap, properly sized road bike is going to be easier to ride on the road than an expensive, wrongly sized mountain bike.

• Like Like x 2
  11. fastpat

fastpat Read Only Funster

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Or alternatively buy cheap and then leave in the garage as its too heavy batteries flat etc.

I have now had one of my road bikes, a custom measured and built quality steel frame (reynolds 853), for more than twenty five years. Its now on its third group set and god knows how many wheels I've been through. At the time others scoffed at the money I was spending, most of them, if they're still cycling, have spent a lot more on new bikes over the same time period.

Sadly I feel that those that have never tried a quality bike that fit them, they will never realise what a difference it makes to the whole experience.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

Why are chunky ugly e-bikes popular?
    Because it coordinates perfectly with chunky ugly me :rofl:.

• Like Like x 14
  13. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Think we will eventually get E Bikes as with cycling I like to explore & see what's round the next corner or over the next hill so sometimes get carried away then realise I have to find the energy to cycle all the way back too... Think that knowing you have that bit of assistance would open up longer trips without stress.
    How good a bike it will be depends on budget at the time (might have to be a heavy chunky one!) but agree that buying a good quality one that is lightweight & performs well would be a better buy long term.

• Like Like x 3
  14. parknride

parknride Funster

I've ridden bikes for years, now I suffer with rheumatism and arthritis. I can't get up too many hills in one trip so kept moaning to OH how difficult/too far etc etc. Now, with my brilliant bike I can and do and ENJOY bike rides of a much bigger distance. I get more exercise than I would on a normal bike and only use the assist when required.
    Cost was a factor to me, I cant afford to be frivolous with money but pros far far outweigh the cons. Lot of homework and help off this forum and a few visits to good bike shops helped me get it right first time.(y)

Are you just on a wind up @Jim ?:whistle:

• Like Like x 6
  15. Ranger

Ranger Funster

Triggers brush!:)

• Like Like x 3
  16. fastpat

fastpat Read Only Funster

Almost but the frame remains!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Dunno @Jim ,the same people buy ugly chunky motorhomes ,hope that helps ..haha

• Like Like x 2
  18. Ranger

Ranger Funster

For those of us with exterior bike racks an ugly e-bike is far less appealing to thieves than a high end standard bike, especially with the battery removed.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Granjan

Granjan Funster

I think its all about comfort zones, wouldn't feel happy setting out on a days cycling without a motor unless I knew it was pretty flat, neither would a lot of people feel comfortable spending a fortune on any bike.
    I know its illegal but the throttle on my heavy bike has come in really useful on a couple of occasions when my pedal has dropped off miles from the MH. Yes I would like a light weight folding e bike with a great battery but I havent replaced the husband yet either nor he me!

• Like Like x 5
  20. Judge Mental

If you have the interest and can justify the cost their are new bikes around with the Brose motor which is very small and very powerful, coupled with a battery in frame they are pretty sleek for an e bike.

lots of manufacturers beginning to use this drive in all style of bikes

download.jpg

• Like Like x 1