Why are things so awkward?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Touchwood, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Touchwood

Touchwood Funster

Anyone else had this, or a similar problem?

There are shelves in the top lockers of my MH, but they are pretty flimsy and I've planned for a while to replace them with thicker ones. Today I decided to remove the old shelves to use as templates for the replacements. Guess what - they won't come out of the locker unless I bend them - and of course if the new ones are thicker they won't bend and therefore I wouldn't be able to get them in! :Angry: The only idea I have at the moment is to make the new ones in two halves with some sort of cunning joint, but I'm not sure how to do this as yet.

Any ideas?

2. Phill D

Phill D

why not just reinforce the existing ones by fixing an additional thickness to them/:Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I don't have a practical bone in my body, but could you not join the two halves using a door hinge. Close the "door" to get it in and then open it to fix in as a shelf.
    Feel free to ignore me:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Touchwood

Touchwood Funster

Now that's a damn fine idea - needn't be full size, just a reinforcing strip. I'm sure I would have thought of that eventually. :Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Far too easy and practical minded:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  6. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Why bother reinforcing them or replacing them with heavier shelves though? High level lockers are unsuited to carrying heavy loads and should only be used for carrying light stuff therefore the "flimsy" original shelves will be fine. Replacing them with heavier duty shelves will only achieve two things, both of which are less than ideal:
    1, the shelves will be heavier than original thereby reducing your actual payload.
    2, the heavier duty shelves will only tempt you to put heavier goods on them and as they are in high level lockers this is not a good place for heavier items.

D.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Piano hinge?

8. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

Have to agree with Dave on that high level lockers are it good for storing anything heavy which you may be tempted to do but if you do wish to proceed what I did when I added extra lightweight shelfs was to bore several holes either side for the plastic shelf supports from B&Q etc then put the shelf in at an angle straightened it up the put the supports in the holes
    I an now adjust shelf to different sizes depending on what I want to store in the locker

• Like Like x 1
  9. Touchwood

Touchwood Funster

I fully take your point, Dave, but when I say flimsy I mean the thickness is barely more than hardboard, they bend with very little load. I did plan to replace them with 25 mm ply, hardly a massive increase in weight, and I'm well aware of the dangers of storing heavy stuff in high lockers, especially since the locker doors don't have particularly secure latches.

10. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

And if you fix one strip across the top of the front edge of a shelf it would help to stop things sliding off.

11. keith

keith Funster

That sounds like an enormous (25 times) increase in weight if the originals are say 1mm, or did you mean 2.5mm? :Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  12. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

just fixing an upstand to the front edge will stiffen the shelves unless the span is massive 25mm ply is definatly over kill

• Like Like x 1
  13. Touchwood

Touchwood Funster

opp5- yes, I meant 5 or 6 mm (one quarter inch in old money) Senior moment :Laughing: