Why are more and more caravaners buying motorhomes ? (1 Viewer)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i,m 17 stone , my mate is 20stone . it has carried us both up som,e mountain tracks . mind my mate then bought his own . i use a 90cc easy rider dax .
but remenber i can drop the trailer and take the truck . its only the size of a vw t2 . well almost . the truck fits a super market car space together it fits in two spaces easy .

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
i,m 17 stone , my mate is 20stone . it has carried us both up som,e mountain tracks . mind my mate then bought his own . i use a 90cc easy rider dax .
but remenber i can drop the trailer and take the truck . its only the size of a vw t2 . well almost . the truck fits a super market car space together it fits in two spaces easy .
Ahh !!! there's hope for me yet (y)(y)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
solves the transport issue , but shall I say I'm of the larger build although SWMBO is quite petite so couldn't see us on a small motorbike as I doubt it would have the power to climb any steep hills :LOL::LOL:
have you thought about an e bike? they make bigs hill easy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
New caravan sales and motorhome registrations increase reported for 2014

For both type of leisure vehicles, October 2014 proved to be the busiest month, with sales of touring caravans raising by 22 per cent whilst registrations of new motorhomes shot up by 18 per cent compared with October 2013. NCC data indicates that during 2014 a total of 21,379 new touring caravans and 8,733 motorhomes were sold and registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As little as 25 years ago if there were two motorhomes on a campsite you'd seek each other out, most often though you were alone in a sea of caravans. In some areas in the South we appeared to be so rare that caravanners would stop putting their awnings up and stare when you drove on. (I know some still do that :)) On some sites now its spot the caravan with most pitches occupied by motorhomes.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Used site in Cornwall for decades, tents and caravans. During the late May Bank Holiday I called in to pickup my son who was there in a tent, the tents outnumbered the caravans by a long way.
Some tents took up more space than a caravan and awning!

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
Not moved from a tugger but from tents.....

Long working weeks and inability to take time off work meant we needed to make most of weekends and bank holidays, last year we upgraded tents buying two air tents, towbar and trailer all in an effort to make weekend getaways a possibility. Whilst the air tent(s) made it possible the pack up @ 0900am and then back home on same day wasted the Sunday.

The MH allows us to get away weekends no bother and has rekindled our love of festivals offering a bit more comfort and luxury than the camping fields....just need to be retired now ...

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We caravanned for 20-odd years but always fancied a motorhome. For us everything came together at the same time: we didn't need a large car; kids had flown the nest; both retired; we could afford it. Once we had a MH wifey fancied a Smart car. We found that more than adequate for our 'car' needs day-to-day so for the price of a s/h trailer we take it with us most of the time as well. I don't think I'd have bought a car just for MH holidays but as we already had it ............

And everything else that has been mentioned already - convenience, moving easily, the relaxation when driving a high vehicle with excellent visibility, etc.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If we had more money a static van or small place in sw France would be our choice , just drive there no setting up and enjoy. Preferably near good transport links for when driving gets a pain or to much.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
As little as 25 years ago if there were two motorhomes on a campsite you'd seek each other out, most often though you were alone in a sea of caravans. In some areas in the South we appeared to be so rare that caravanners would stop putting their awnings up and stare when you drove on. (I know some still do that :)) On some sites now its spot the caravan with most pitches occupied by motorhomes.
I recall many, many years ago a caravanner came up to me and asked me, quite seriously, how I went shopping for groceries. He was genuinely puzzled. That's how rare we were.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
I recall many, many years ago a caravanner came up to me and asked me, quite seriously, how I went shopping for groceries. He was genuinely puzzled. That's how rare we were.
I actually remember feeling sorry for a motorhome couple stuck on a site in France while we went out most days touring and shopping!!?

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Started off with a trailer tent, swore I would never get a tin box caravan 9 years later we bought our first caravan 6 caravans later swore I would never get a motorhome who would want to spend hours in a seat and then just spin it round and stay in it, sat in Camping la Cite just outside Carcassonne sunny and warm first trip to France after years of touring there in a caravan, should have changed years ago so much easier

mercianman

Free Member
Mar 4, 2016
Newport Pagnell
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 696
Exp
We bought ours to give us the freedom to go when and where we wanted. We never considered a caravan. For our first stop we stayed at a small site and couldn't believe the palaver that you had to go through with a caravan. We just stopped, put the handbrake on and opened a bottle of wine. Much easier. The second night we stayed on a friends farm. No need for electrics or anything with our solar. We got people on the campsite asking what we did for water.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I actually remember feeling sorry for a motorhome couple stuck on a site in France while we went out most days touring and shopping!!?
Why were they stuck? It can't have been much of a problem if you then went out and bought a motorhome.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Why were they stuck? It can't have been much of a problem if you then went out and bought a motorhome.
That was in our 2nd caravan about 34 yrs ago, I part exed my 8th caravan last November for the motorhome. No idea if they had a problem they seemed quite happy if I remember correctly

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Towed for 18 years then changed to motorhome, the way we toured had changed. Just spent 3 weeks in the Outer Hebrides and saw only three small caravans on the road. The motorhome suits our way of touring both here and abroad. Met a caravanner on a mainland site who reckoned he was touring the West coast of Scotland staying at only two sites!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Another reason for people choosing motorhomes over caravans is that anyone who took their test after 1997 can't tow unless they take the towing part of the driving test.
Only applies to Gross Train Weights of over 3500kg, so unless you have a big 4 x 4 and a large tandem axle caravan the standard car license if fine.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Sounds like there's a few of us that have done the same, we've gone from tent to folding camper to caravan to motorhome, we prefer to move around rather than stay somewhere for a week so the motorhome works perfectly, it's also easier with dogs if you need to stop to let them out or for something to eat. The site we're currently on in Scotland is full (236 pitches) and I would think 75% are caravans, and they've all got the best spots..

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
After 10 years of static ownership at Selsey followed by a few years of owning no U.K. based leisure facility, after early retirement we chose a MH as the next logical step for the versatility & freedom of destination choice & have no regrets. :)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Only applies to Gross Train Weights of over 3500kg, so unless you have a big 4 x 4 and a large tandem axle caravan the standard car license if fine.
An LR discovery 3/4 is nearly 3 tons without anybody in it, so that leaves under half a ton for the Van ?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Towed for 18 years then changed to motorhome, the way we toured had changed. Just spent 3 weeks in the Outer Hebrides and saw only three small caravans on the road. The motorhome suits our way of touring both here and abroad. Met a caravanner on a mainland site who reckoned he was touring the West coast of Scotland staying at only two sites!

May be his idea of touring is different to yourself. When in Scotland once you have seen one mountain you have seen them all as they all look the same. Everyone is different.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
When I spoke to him we were north of Oban, he had driven over two hundred miles that day and intended going on over to Dingwall from where he would visit Thurso and Caithness. A lot of driving.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

I am pretty sure that with the new licences you are unable to tow anything over 750 kg which would prohibit the towing of a caravan. But I stand to be corrected if I am wrong. :)

Deleted User
An LR discovery 3/4 is nearly 3 tons without anybody in it, so that leaves under half a ton for the Van ?

Thought a LR Discovery was a 'large 4x4

I am pretty sure that with the new licences you are unable to tow anything over 750 kg which would prohibit the towing of a caravan. But I stand to be corrected if I am wrong. :)

As @Lenny HB says combination up to 3500kg as long as towing limits of tow vehicle are complied with.

"Category B. You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass ( MAM ) with up to 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg). You can also tow heavier trailers if the total MAM of the vehicle and trailer isn't more than 3,500kg."

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
Like a lot of you we had caravans for years. Used them here and abroad. For sheer convenience you can't beat a moho. Setting up and leaving a site takes much less time/effort than all the palaver with a caravan. Driving is much less hassle too...you even get to use the third lane on the Mway and do more than 60mph!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back