Why are more and more caravaners buying motorhomes ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Of late have noticed a lot of new members are ex tuggers.. There is a definite swing from caravans to motorhomes.. it can also be seen on sites.. Club sites used to be almost exclusively caravans. not any more..

When we changed it was for ease of touring.. especially abroad, and as the family grew up had no need for a big caravan.. we were also touring more.. but are there other reasons ?

I guess age comes into it.. not a lot of fun trying to manoeuvre a big van when your into your later years.. but there are also plenty of families buying motorhomes.

Or, is there a perception that it's cheaper, you don't have to use expensive sites as there are plenty of places you can camp free. ?

No doubt this also comes into it.. there are a host of FaceBook groups dedicated to free camping.. I've read dozens of posts by newbies looking and asking where to camp free.. and if you suggest a site you get short shrift.. makes me wonder where this idea comes from.

Any recent converts care to comment.. ?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
For us Jim it was holiday style. When the kids were younger we rolled up somewhere, usually a beach in Spain, and that was it for two or three weeks. Now just the two of us we want to move on every couple of days and it's so much easier with a Moho.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
For us Jim it was holiday style. When the kids were younger we rolled up somewhere, usually a beach in Spain, and that was it for two or three weeks. Now just the two of us we want to move on every couple of days and it's so much easier with a Moho.

I'll second that (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Moved over to Motorhome after tugging for 30 years. Caravan gave cheap holiday and took kids. Nice to have fixed base.
Reached retirement and can now spread wings and move about. Less hassle with MH but lose a bit on mobility. However, Bagwell this week, across to Belgium then down to France. Not practical with a caravan.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
On the Italian site I'm on at the moment at least 50 Italian motorhomes turned up for the weekend. There might have been a caravan or two but I didn't see one

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We caravanned for 16 x years Jim, but when early retirement from the job was forced upon me, I lost the use of the kit drying room, whereupon I'd just chuck in the wet awning, and within the hour it was totally dry again. :LOL: That's when caravanning became a chore, especially with typical and unpredictable British weather.
We always wanted to tour abroad, but never did with the caravan, however, as soon as we bought our left hooker Hymer, I was determined to cross that channel. ;)

We are entering year twelve with her now, and still loving it. If we hadn't progressed from caravan to MH, I don't think we'd have continued with touring and camping.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Like motorhomes, caravans are getting bigger and heavier. Lots of people don't want their main car to be a fat gas guzzler so if you have to run an additional vehicle to tow anyway, why not make it a Moho and stop tugging.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Same as Jim said,I've seen a lot more motorhomes recently at club sites than there used to be. Must be the ease of setting up and packing up.
I still would like transport here though but wont buy a car to tow.
We make do with buses and taxis.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I moved from being a petit tugger - folding camper, as our lifestyle changed we didn't want the drive stop for a week breaks anymore. We have seen more of the South and a tadge of the North in the 6 months we've had BanHam then we ever did in the 10+ years as folding camper owners. This summer leave period will be the first time we have had a 3 week break to stay in one place for only a few days then move on to somewhere else type break so will be fully used as we intended. We hope:)

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I'm sitting on a C & CC site at the moment, and looking out the windows I can count over 30 full pitches and only 3 caravans, 2 of which are foreign plated. The caravan next to me is British and they would love to have a MH but both of them are working and need a car each for work, and to have another vehicle to tax, insure, MOT for use only a few weeks of the year did not make sense to them "but when we retire...." Maybe this is it?

Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
Moved straight from folding camper to MH. Didn't fancy towing a big van and wanted winter weekends away as well as days out.

Kids told us we weren't allowed to wait until we retired to buy a MH as they wanted to come with us.

Buying a van just as expensive as a MH when you factor in a big car to tow it. And rig is less flexible for day trips.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We changed 8 years ago after around 25 years of tugging before that tents then trailer tents. I went off towing and sites love the nomadic life style caravan was fine with kids but just the two of us so much easier with a Motorhome. This year we met up with my mate & his wife and spent a month on a site in Portugal although it was quite relaxing can't see us doing it again, every time we went out on our bikes and saw vans wilding or on Aires we got itchy feet.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We towed folding camper then a caravan, but got fed up of the towing. We wanted to tour more and esoecially in Europe. We got bored staying in the same place for too long as well. Expensive yes and we were going to wait till retirement but life is too short. :)

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Something that the French have been doing for years will eventually catch on with the Brits.

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
Certainly not due to cost, MH is much more expensive overall. We converted so that we could ski from our MH which is practically very difficult with a caravan unless you don't use the water system.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Used to take seven people inc wife with caravan , now no wife and kids have flown the nest only the odd grand kid now , and motorhome is less hassle for a quick getaway :X3:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Could be people are spending rather then saving in present times. I know quite a few who have down sized or equity release and are spending their money before the government takes it to pay for their care etc when they get older. So with more disposable money perhaps this means they can afford a motorhome now where as before they could not.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Definitely a change in holiday style. Before the MH we had been through the ranks from ridge tent, frame tents, trailer tent, folding camper, various caravans.

Each were the best option for us at the time and the same with our MH. We've had 3 now and each were right for the period of time we owned them. For the foreseeable future we will stick with the current van. Things may change in 5 years time when Joe reaches 70 but who knows what will happen in the future.

Denise

Graham and Jane

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2014
Grangemouth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
They all want a part of our lifestyle. Mh much less hard work. Perfect for long or short breaks. Much easier as age advances.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Caravanners are starting to see the cost savings of freeloading!:)

Caravan sites are rubbish and caravanners hate them anyway. That's my observation.

Caravanners pitch up and then bugger off in their car all day. Why stay there if you hate it so much you can't bear to be there?:D

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Went from trailer tent straight to motorhome. Loved the trailer tent but it was so much hassle to put up and take down - especially if it was wet - that was only getting used for 1 or maybe 2 holidays a year. It just wasn't really worth all the hassle unless you were going to be in the same spot for at least 4 days, and "moving day" - from one site to another - was always a long and very tiring day. The realisation was that the kids are growing up fast and we want to get as many breaks away with them whilst we can.

Really didn't fancy a caravan, even though it would have been a much more economic option. Motorhomes don't have to just be for retired couples, we're getting on just fine with ours, with 3 kids age 6 to 12.

The upside of travelling and being able to pull in almost where you want for loo / drink / food breaks with kids outweighs the disadvantages of a motorhome. We're not "stay on site" people at all - we'll go out most days in the van - and yes, it's a large vehicle which does pose a bit of a restriction but it's not that bad and we've yet to find anywhere we wanted to go to that we couldn't, even if sometimes a little more walking is required. I'm not afraid to take it down narrow lanes, if the bin lorry can get there then I can!

Not having to plan to much for a day out is an advantage. We can stop and eat when we want, no need to have to make lunch in advance or eat out (which gets expensive with 5 - even a café usually ends up at £30+, a basic pub meal with drinks ends up closer to £50). If we stay out longer than planned we can pull up somewhere and cook some dinner, then carry on after.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"

Ditto! :)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Your right it is life style, some people go for a static van as they feel they have had enough of driving etc and are quite happy to sit outside their van talking to the neighbors. Others want to see all the places that having kids stopped them seeing at the best times so can move around in a van easy. All about what suits you best at that time, but money helps. Haha.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
All of the above,plus Tolls ,speed and overtaking restrictions,people wanting to go deeper into mainland europe,with only four weeks holiday,fringe benifits being free/cheap aires all over,,make c/vanning less attractive, . A reasonable m/home is only the same price as a c/van,so i don't think its a money thing,(Look around you on the ferries,aires etc,old m/homes, private numbers? A choice to have your stamp on a vehicle,and/or, it also makes it dateless) just the changing needs of "Travellers" Hedgebumpers,FLT's LOL!
"Follow us over,via Dover"
Not original,seen on the back of trailers belonging to a Polish haulage company...LOL
Tea Bag

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Another reason for people choosing motorhomes over caravans is that anyone who took their test after 1997 can't tow unless they take the towing part of the driving test. Most youngsters I think won't bother, they can drive < 3500 Kg so I reckon a lot will opt for a motorhome. I have nothing fed a huge increase in moho's generally in GB in the last couple of years. Have caravans had their day ??
Should have added that many current caravanners have obviously seen the light ?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i must be odd i went the other way after having vw campers for years about 25 yrs . also having a teardrop caravan to tow behind my old trike mind that was first in about 91 in 2000 i decided i wanted more space for living and bought my mini artic . still have it . changed the truck but i cant see my swapping much for years .
mind i dont use campsites ,think last one was in 2009 . it gives me a vehicle to use as a car and cheaper ferry costs than a large m,home . think i have the best of all worlds .

Last edited:

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Towing never bothered us, but as you have more and more free time, booking a campsite became more of a chore. Mainly because you was at the mercy of the weather. With the Moho, you can ( when we get it :) ), chase the weather. So booking, wild camping, britstop's etc can be done as late as you want. Plus it's easier to take the handbrake off and move on...
Also, I don't have to stop when pissy knickers needs the toilet ;) ;)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
"Oh Mr B.You are awfull...but i like you" LOL Don't forget,A+E will be VERY buisy today,tonight and all next week,thanks to YOU!! Bed blocking LOL.
Tea Bag

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Don't forget.......
When the love of your life goes to shake her booty.... Wait till you know that they are sitting comfortably...... Severe swerve on the steering wheel shouting squirrel as you do so... ;)

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Had a few caravans in my time but after a six week tour around France in a caravan that neither I or TOH could move and the motor over broke we thought we would try motorhoming. One of the very best things is the 15 min set up, rather than 1hr-11/2hr set up with a Motorhome. You do need some form of transport though, we use cycles or local transport.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back