Why a Garage?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jim, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Motorhome garages are ideal for a cycles or even a motorcycle but I notice that lots of people use a garage for general storage and that things just get stacked on top of each other, I have seen some that look like a bomb site. How do you utilise your garage space? especially with most of it being vertical. Do you put shelves up and racks? How about a photo to show us how neat and organised you are, or to show us your bomb site, come on, show us your garage.>:)

• Like Like x 1
  2. thefman

thefman Read Only Funster

only been out once scince october bit of a shed at the mo:Laughing: on the right i cut holes in two large storage boxes and strapped them in rather than building shelves :Smile:

Attached Files:

3. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

How about re starting this SIX year old topic?

• Like Like x 3
  4. androidGB

androidGB Funster

Probably as relevant now as it was then, but judging by the lack of replies, most people didn't have neat organised solutions

Andrew

5. WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU Read Only Funster

My garage has evolved and no doubt will continue to do so!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Ours was but has now been emptied for the winter. If I was to take a photo it would show an empty space. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Debs

Debs Funster

I got quite excited then as we've only had 4 trips out and it's driving me mad already.

So far, for the smaller items I've bought some clear, zipped storage bags from Dunelm Mill which at least keeps everything together.

Les doesn't want to drill the sides of the van - I wondered about attaching stuff with sikaflex is it? Seems to get mentioned alot on here, wondered if it would be suitable?

Would be interested to see others solutions?

• Like Like x 1
  8. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

I would never buy an M/H without a garage. Ours houses two bycycles, One 125cc scooter, tables, chairs tools etc.
    The trick is to keep it in shape. dont just chuck stuff in.
    Phil

• Like Like x 4
  9. rangitira

rangitira Funster

We got our "stuff" in a couple of those collapsable crates from B&Q, the rest is either on top or around.
    Stuff we use most, in front, Outside stuff chairs table BBQ etc on top, stuff like tool kit Tow rope Tyre pump, stuff we hardly use, in the crates . We also got the spare tyre in there under everything else

• Like Like x 1
  10. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Am now on my second motorhome with a garage and would never consider another motorhome without one. I have it completely fitted with extra fuel tank, 3 way beer fridge, gas oven and hob, BBQ, overhead rails to hold chairs and outside table, large hooks to hold various hookup leads, water hoses, macerator hoses and a four drawer cupboard to hold odds and sods. I use the garage as an outside kitchen as I have it wired for electric and plumbed in with its own gas bottle. Would never dream of putting a bike in there. This is a photo of the previous garage, the one I have now is much bigger. Roastmaster oven 004.JPG

• Like Like x 10
  11. mick noe

mick noe Funster

we are off to Whitby area for a few days at the weekend went to load the scooter into the garage and discovered Hazel has filled it with grandkids Christmas presents including a huge play kitchen!

• Like Like x 3
  12. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

When we had a Chausson with a garage I utilised a pocket storage compartment from an old suitcase which I fastened to the inside of the offside door, I also utilised some of the elasticated luggage nets (motorcycle ones are the best size) to keep stuff in place on the existing shelves/up against the sides. I also used some larger elasticated luggage nets on the underside of the bed to store lighter but bulky items to make them accessible but out of the way.

On the back wall I slotted some ratchet strap material behind the metal bed supports and the wall panel (above a fixing point) then knotted it to form loops to which I attached/threaded through elastic bungy straps so that I could slot larger items behind the bungy straps such as the chairs, table etc. I did the same where appropriate on the front inside wall of the garage too which proved useful for holding water containers etc in place but again easily accessible. I resisted using 'rigid' boxes as they can be bulky and take up a lot of space even when empty, and instead found various sized zipped or cord closure bags (old shopping bags, kids sports bags etc) were much easier to find places to store away and could be 'grabbed' quite easily to retrieve them. I also had to store the spare wheel in there so our garage was a bit 'tighter' than some others so everything having it's place was vital:

06 - Storage offisde.JPG 07 - Hanging net offside.JPG 08 - Hanging net nearside.JPG 09 - Storage nearside.JPG View attachment 48270 Spare Wheel - r.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  13. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Garages are for people with too much crap to haul around.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Our garage has eye rings on a rail system and I have hung a fabric shoe rack like this one:

[​IMG]

on the top rail. All the fuses, spare bulbs and other odds and ends go in there. Easy to get to in an emergency.
    There were already cubby holes and shelves on the wall that is not the rear wall of the van and wellies, fix and go, buckets, EHU leads go into their own spaces. The centre part has bikes, one behind the other, outside table and chairs, outside cooker and stand plus drive away awning all in their bags and in their own place.

Sorted!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Dazzlin

Dazzlin Funster Life Member

Got a letterbox!
    About 70cm wide by 25 cm high.
    Stores:-
    2 x reclining chairs
    2 x beach loungers
    leveling blocks
    moroccan mat
    filling hose
    awning support
    extending handle & brush
    shopping trolley
    Several "bricks"
    All carefully loaded in order.
    "Krypton factor" springs to mind

• Like Like x 4
  16. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

I am in the middle of fitting out mine,firstly with a batten across the back to hold the chairs and table and higher up a piece of pole to take pockets and hooks for the EHU cable.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM Read Only Funster

I find it amazing that people with 3.5ton campers can load their garages without going over their rear axle weight.

• Like Like x 5
  18. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

Oh no there not ! Oh yes they are ! theres no right or wrong with this one.
    Phil

• Like Like x 2
  19. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I think it depends on how long the overhang is and how careful you are with what goes where.

The batteries from our e-bikes go inside in a box by the hab door as they are the heaviest parts of the bikes. The gas bottle from the outside cooker goes into the gas locker and that's the heaviest part of that, The rest of the stuff is pretty light weight but bulky.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

No John, trailers are for people with too much crap to carry around. Mine not only carries my car but my inflatable boat, outboard motor, 2 mobility scooters, party tent, Spartamet motorised bike, outside mats, tools, welder, compressor, and all the other junk I think I may need. Winter 2014 003.JPG

• Like Like x 12