Who weighs their motorhome? And where? (1 Viewer)

Beakster

Free Member
Feb 19, 2017
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm new!
We're away for 8 months and will be taking bikes, books, a sewing machine, plastic models kits, half of our kitchen. The pile of stuff is mounting and after posting about my books in another thread it was pointed out that the weight will be as well! So we are definitely off to the weighbridge before we go. Luckily we have one nearby in Lancing.

Do you bother? And where do you go?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Use the one at Laning before most trips, convenient as its only a couple of miles from home.
As its a dynamic one I always go over it 2 or 3 times, as readings can vary dependent on speed and how central you are.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
I try to weigh ours at a public weigh bridge once a year, perhaps before a big trip. Our problem is that we've moved and whilst our old WB used to be a mile from the house and cost £3.50, our current nearest is about 8 miles away and the one (and only) time I've been there it cost £15!!!
We also have a "Reich Caravan Weight Controll" left over from our tugging days. It's fiddly to use and obviously not as accurate as a WB but it gives an indication as to the pattern of loading. I find that we can trim our weight by considering the amount of fresh water we're carrying and not allowing unnecessaries to build up unnecessarily.

LadyBea

Free Member
Jan 17, 2010
Dumfries &Galloway
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 1994
Yes we do now, didn't use to bother but after getting a motorhome with a lowish payload we have started weighing them. We use a local weigh bridge, the one we use is in Dumfries & we get each axle weighed individually & we then phone up the tyre manufacturers & they give us the correct tyre pressures for front & rear.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Also the tolerance on a dynamic axle weighbridge is +/- 150kg per axle.
Generally they are fairly accurate but worse case you could be 300kg and not know.:)
They are designed to weigh 40 tonners where 300kg is naff all.

Plate weighbridges are +/-50kg.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I used a local recycling centre. I asked them, when collecting a load, if they would weigh my Moho and they said yes. Went back on the Saturday and they did but don't issue a weighbill because not charged.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I use a trading standards weighbridge, it has 2 plates so can do both axles at once or just on one plate for a total. If you want full certificates (not printouts) they charge, but if you just want to pop over and look at the numbers, they are just happy you are being responsible.
Anyone going to the Stratford Show, the Warwickshire Trading Standards weighbridge is a few minutes from Junction 15 M40, easy roads and the weighbridge is in loads of space, nice and clean. We often call in when heading south, fully loaded, only adds 10 minutes to the journey but could save a lot.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Took ours to be weighed a few days ago. We are up rating her so needed a weigh slip. Will go back fully loaded once the update plate comes through. We are updating to 4000 from 3500.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I weighed both of my last two vans at their heaviest (big holiday spec) at a local weigh bridge, as I like to produce a small laminated spec card to keep handy.

Spec card includes length, width, height, tyre sizes, pressures etc. As far as weights go, I would include the maximum allowed as well as my weigh bridge figures for each axle and overall.

The vans were never as heavy as the big summer trip, which left me plenty of payload capacity anyway, so there was never a need to revisit the weigh bridge.

Once I've had the Karitek roof system, towbar and towbar cycle carrier fitted to the new van, I will load it to 'full expedition spec', including full fuel & fresh water, kayak, bike & dog, before a visit to the weigh bridge.

I'm living in hope that there will be sufficient capacity, both on the overall weight and on the individual axles, without going down the uprating route, but it won't be the end of the world if I have to uprate.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Public one on Westbound A 27 just West of Shoreham airfield. Free of charge ideal for anybody on their travels on the south coast

Never bothered when we had a tag axle as we had so much payload. Having changed to 4500 with a great big garage I wanted to get checked out with the new load and all the gear in the garage. So now confident when we set off on any trip as we always have the same items on board

What with the stories of these new mobile systems used by VOSO I think we all need to check ourselves out. Met many people who once weighed could not believe how much over they were

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Weigh ours before we leave the drive on each trip as we have the portable Reich weigh machine. Tested it against a weighbridge and give or take 2-3 kgs it matched the weighbridge ticket. As it weighs each corner individually it gives you a reliable weight loading on each wheel and does the maths for you for GVW. I bought ours from this site below as it was the cheapest at the time.

https://www.obelink.nl/reich-carava...PaWN2IhoMZEr2eTDgC9q2YNOCCr_-s5g9MaAmZA8P8HAQ

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Absolutely essential if you don't want a big fine plus being told "stop there until you lighten it".

Google weighbridges in your area.

There is a thread like this running on pretty much any forum you care to visit, such is the level of discussion I get the impression scores of folk are receiving huge fines or points on their licence by being caught overweight. Now we know that some manufacturers in an effort to sell moho's to those with a car licence are plating at 3,500 when the gross weight should be higher, the consequence of this is ridiculously small payloads so there must be lots of overweight vans on the road.
Yet when I go looking of evidence of fines etc and ignoring friend of a friend stories there is precious little, I have read of a chap who had to reduce his weight before he could proceed and that's about it, as someone who suggests big fines await the overweight moho' s, do you have any evidence to support your suggestion?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
as someone who suggests big fines await the overweight moho' s, do you have any evidence to support your suggestion?

If you are over weight there is the potential for a big fine and inconvenience. You want evidence you go find it,

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Yeah at least once a year.
Make sure to use a registered public weighbridge as it's checked at least once a year. Always use a plate weighbridge rather than a drive over as they just aren't reliable and it's you that'll pay the fine not them.
We used to own several weighbridges all of which were plate type and all registered as public so do know a bit about them.
Even if it is £15.00 it's a lot cheaper than a fine and peanuts compared to the cost and upkeep of a weighbridge.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Do you bother? And where do you go?

Yes, we do periodically, at the VOSA/DVSA Weighbridge at Sawtry, Cambs, just off the A1(M) South, on the old Great North Rd.
We tend to weigh in, when on the road south. There is also one at Sandy in Beds, again, just off the A1 North.
I was given a number to phone, by a VOSA/DVSA inspector, to enquire when the weighbridges are open when passing by, but asked not to disclose it. ;)

Not that we have ever been overloaded, but since up-plating to 5500Kgs, we have no fear of it ever happening........................despite my penchant for stocking up with beer at Calais. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
There is a thread like this running on pretty much any forum you care to visit, such is the level of discussion I get the impression scores of folk are receiving huge fines or points on their licence by being caught overweight. Now we know that some manufacturers in an effort to sell moho's to those with a car licence are plating at 3,500 when the gross weight should be higher, the consequence of this is ridiculously small payloads so there must be lots of overweight vans on the road.
Yet when I go looking of evidence of fines etc and ignoring friend of a friend stories there is precious little, I have read of a chap who had to reduce his weight before he could proceed and that's about it, as someone who suggests big fines await the overweight moho' s, do you have any evidence to support your suggestion?

Look in ya local paper or court lists its a big money maker for the authorities A friend of mine had his vehicle checked on a23 a few weeks ago he was over a good few kgs in his company pick up. He had to off load the excess weight there and then to be allowed to move he got an on the fine spot offerd £800 quid I believe. At this point he lossed his rag with the guy he now has to go to court so a further loss if the fines not cheaper. his time wasted that day and now going to court he proberly worked that week for nothing.

I live near the weighbridge in lancing on a27 in my sprinter camper I use for motocross I have been pulled on 3 times and been just under thank the lord I had emptied the jet wash tanks life isnt as easy and forgoing as it once was especialy if your a motorist.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Look in ya local paper or court lists its a big money maker for the authorities A friend of mine had his vehicle checked on a23 a few weeks ago he was over a good few kgs in his company pick up. He had to off load the excess weight there and then to be allowed to move he got an on the fine spot offerd £800 quid I believe. At this point he lossed his rag with the guy he now has to go to court so a further loss if the fines not cheaper. his time wasted that day and now going to court he proberly worked that week for nothing.

I live near the weighbridge in lancing on a27 in my sprinter camper I use for motocross I have been pulled on 3 times and been just under thank the lord I had emptied the jet wash tanks life isnt as easy and forgoing as it once was especialy if your a motorist.

Entirely a different situation as vans and trucks are generally carrying goods for hire and reward, so the more they carry the greater the reward and quite rightly the rogue driver/ companies get caught, fined and sometimes lose their licence to operate. Motorhomes are usually private and used for recreational purposes

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
If you are over weight there is the potential for a big fine and inconvenience. You want evidence you go find it,
I note you have now used the word "potential" otherwise your missing the point, I have looked and not really found anything.
Just to clarify my position, being overweight is not big and it's not clever, we should all do what we can to avoid that situation, but there are posters on various platforms suggesting all kinds of fines and penalties for being overweight and I think the situation is being over egged.
A DSA pal of mine advises me that any kind of vehicle including cars that looks overweight will be stopped and dealt with accordingly, but with private vehicles part of the remit is to educate and advise drivers, further more some agencies may apply a 10% leeway. There will be options to reduce weight before being allowed to continue and if it is felt a fine is appropriate they can start at modest sums depending on circumstances.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
If you are going to the trouble of having your van weighed then make sure you get individual axle loadings. I took ours this week. It has a MGW of 3850kg. A total readout was 3440kg which you think is great, giving spare payload of 440kg. Maximum axle loads are 1850kg front, 2000kg rear. Unfortunately actual readouts were 1420kg front, 2020kg rear. So over the limit on the back axle. Redistribution of all the rubbish we carry required.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
A good clean one Halifax Metals, Shay Lane Halifax if you are local to us. Cleanest scap yard we have ever seen, might charge you or not.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Where these manufacturers come from, was looking at a iveco fendt and it only had a loading weight of 340kg, and that's for 4persons fuel gas etc I ask you,

Deleted User
Has anybody on here actually been stopped, weighed and fined for being overweight, not I know somebody or a friend of a friend but actually been stopped and fined.

Spongy

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

That's commercial & for 800 quid he must have been seriously overloaded as a 15-30% over is fixed penalty & 300 fine. For 800 quid I'd have shot him.:LOL:

More recent guidance says that overweight of between 5 and 10 % should be dealt with by Graduated
Fixed Penalty. Whether dealt with by way of GFP or prosecution, being overweight
(vehicle not driver) is not an endorseable offence.

GRADUATION OF FIXED PENALTY NOTICES
£100 FP -- 5% to 10% or over 1 tonne on axle, gross or train if less than 5%
£200 FP -- Over 10% and up to 15%
£300 FP -- Over 15% and up to 30%
Prosecute over 30% or over 5 tonnes on axle, gross or train if under 30%

NON COMMERCIAL DRIVERS
In genuine cases of ignorance e.g. moving house, and where the offence is unlikely to be
repeated, a prohibition should be issued and an overloading guidance leaflet handed to
the driver. To take into account the Public Interest Test no Fixed Penalty Notice should
be issued in these circumstances.
Also if no copper they cannot ask you to stop.& weigh.They only have the power to stop commercial vehicles . They need a police officer to stop/weigh a non-commercial.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
If a metal scrapyard is the handiest one to home,have a look around the area of the bridge,for a couple of quid or even free,the Rubber Duck electro magnet unit will sweep this area if asked. Saves a tyre ? Did it with the lorry.
Tea Bag

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
But they pulled me in 3 times while i was in my camper !!!!! Coppers that was.Plenty of Campers and Motorhomes are going to be over weight at end of day right is right wrong is wrong I an too tired to fight the system.

As for my mates fine I'll chase him up I'm sure he said 800 unless I Miss's read it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back