Who Tows?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Shrimp64, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Shrimp64

Shrimp64 Funster

Who tows what and who do you insure the towed car with?

2. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

We use a 125 cc motorbike. For me, if I wanted to tow a car I would buy a caravan.
    Phil

• Like Like x 4
  3. Frentchy

Frentchy Funster

I tow my little car (in my avatar ) with an A frame for local/ France; and a trailer for distance and abroad, its insured in its own right anyway(y)

4. zac

zac Funster Life Member

From what our insurance told us, the car will not be covered if damaged whilst towing (caravan guard insurers i think). We sometimes tow a car with a-frame in uk or a scooter (300cc) on a HydraTrail if Europe. we insure the car and scooter normally but they wont cover them if towing, our insurance was free this year as part of a new motorhome deal. I wont be staying with caravan guard though as they wanted double what we were paying with comfort insurance.

5. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

We tow either the wife's Corsa with an a frame or my BMW GS 1150 on a trailer.
    Both 3rd party cover on Moho insurance but have their own fully comp cover.
    If something happens, we would have to claim from both insurers. This is quite normal.
    As far as I can tell, only NFU will give full cover for trailers assuming you can afford the premium!!!! They do tend to be expensive.

6. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Used to tow the smartie on a trailer.. nowadays .. A 125 on a rack

7. jac-in-a-box

jac-in-a-box Read Only Funster

Smartie on a Woodford trailer.

Insurance is a minefield, every one bar one insurer told me the car would only be insured 3rd party while being towed...didn't stop a few lying and telling me I'd have fully comp though, however when asked to confirm it via email there was some rapid backtracking!

NFU beat my m'home renewal from my previous insurer, confirmed fully comp cover would apply when towing, covered the trailer, m'home and Smartie for entirely reasonable sum.
    Against all the other insurers I spoke to, NFU have left me feeling confident I'll be in good hands should the worst happen...and I'll not be working with two seperate insurers

8. Speve

Speve Funster

We have just sorted a trailer to take our Panda with us to Spain insured with Safeguard who cover trailer third party and car has its own fully comp insurance.

9. Southampton

Southampton Funster Life Member

We tow Aud's Picanto on an 'A' frame. Not took it to Europe yet but will be next year.

10. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

What 125 dyou use John.
    Thinking of selling the Versys as we hardly use it since getting leccy bikes but would still like something a bit smaller for the odd occasion.

11. simplyjimbo

simplyjimbo Funster

Smart on a Brian James Trailer. Just back from month in South of France. Trailer can be moved with car on board by hand as its perfectly balanced for Smart car weight distribution. Tow's very easily and perfectly stable at high cruising speeds.
    No problems with insurance for the whole rig.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. musson

musson Funster

Hi i tow a corsa i have spoken with our insurance (Car) added the a frame towbar and the rear towbar my son tows his pod caravan
    I was surprised when the premium went down £17.00 I also inform Comfort that I was towing a car.I think its best to tell insurance then if anything happens they cannot say you did not inform them.

13. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

A boat and a little 4x4 on a "A" frame. Boat insured on a boat policy and the car on a group policy that cover all our vehicles

14. bb wales

bb wales Funster

I will be towing the car in my avatar, it is insured in its own right as well same as frentchy. This will be when we go full time in a couple of years.

15. busby

busby Funster

I have our push bikes,,got rid of caravan to avoid towing. Best thing we ever did. BUSBY:D