Who takes their m/cycle with them?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ultima, Feb 20, 2016.

1. ultima

ultima Funster

Have (after much thought/trying) decided that carrying a small m/cycle on towbar(2007 Relay self build Witter towbar) is not safe,so have started building a single m/cycle trailer with a view to taking my Deauville with me. Have ordered a small hand winch to fit to front of trailer to assist loading as bike is pretty heavy and dont want a "fall" while loading it.Any suggestions/opinions?

2. Autowbars

Autowbars Funster

Don't forget about EU type approval, even for self build.
    You will have to get it IVA tested, a picky job,
    If no approval it can be taken off the road, confiscated, whatever you want to call it.
    Another EU rule that we keep to but it seems many other states do not.
    Best Buy one with EU type approval, something like an ERDE single bike trailer.

I used to take a bike with me in Europe but gave up as I found it too much hassle when I took a wrong turning etc, then tried a small car on trailer, gave that up too.

Bought an electric pedal cycle and LOVE it, even got the wife one after she saw how much fun I was having and I am not fit and over 65!

3. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

We take a bike with us a 650cc Kawasaki Versys but luckily have a large garage and payload and carry it on board. We've tried all the different options over 10 years and in the garage is by far the best option.
    Racks only work if you have a short overhang and huge payload as they put a lot of weight behind the rear axle.
    Trailers are a good option but you need to have a good tie down system and reversing a short trailer behind a motorhome is virtually impossible.
    Systems like Hydratrail are very good and eliminate the reversing issues as long as you have a bike that's not too heavy probably no more than 150/160 kgs.
    Whatever you choose Enjoy(y)

• Like Like x 1
  4. MikeD

MikeD Funster

I do on a easylifter, Hydratrail but I would not recommend one for a bike as heavy as a Deauville (y)(y)

• Like Like x 1
  5. ultima

ultima Funster

Those rules dont apply to trailers built before sept 2012.

6. Nigel67

Nigel67 Funster

We take these with us. I used my home made three bike trailer for a few years but now use a box trailer as I got fed up with the dirt and stone chips. Plus it ideal to carry all our bike gear and much more.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Honda in the back that lives there on trip to serve as the van tender. DSCF2125.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Yup. We brought the GSXR1000 to Lanzarote on the trailer :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

I have a covered trailer for sale, will take gl1800, see classifieds. Pics available.

10. John745

John745 Funster

I have a Hydratrail easylifter which carries a Honda CB400, but would not put anything heavier on it. A Trailer would be needed for heavier bikes but they do have the above mentioned problem of reversing. having spoken to others who do use trailers I would also have a jockey wheel fitted just in case yo get into a tight spot and need to off load from M/H.

11. Adrian1

Adrian1 Funster

We take a transalp 650 with hydra trail works well and good fun to take bike with us. Looked at deauville but less areas to strap down found transalp better with crash bars and panner racks deauville are fixed good luck

12. Popeye

Popeye Funster

We take our Piaggio 300 Trike with us but we carry it in the rear most Garage and it's fairly heavy at 250 kg.

Simon-Mum.jpg

13. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I've been amazed and distressed at the huge number I've seen this year, nearly everyone has one but me.But we do get places on ebikes we would not on a proper one.

14. cakey

cakey Funster

We carry our Honda Bali on an easylift that sits on the tow ball. Scooter weighs 94kg wouldn't want any more weight than that on the tow bar. We take that with us when we go to the continent, no extra ferry/tunnel charges.
    We also have a Honda Deauville which we take with us here in the uk on an erdi single bike trailer. I use a shortened scaffold plank to load, the supplied ramp is to short. I put the bike in gear and walk it up the plank slowly. I use bar handcuffs at the front with clam straps not ratchets, the same at the back. The benefit of clam straps is that they can be tensioned with one hand.The back straps go through the passenger grab handles. I can load/unload on my own takes no more than 5 minutes. Reversing isn't such a problem if you have a reversing camera and you do it slowly.

15. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

We carried a 125 PCX for four years and loved it. Now we have 2 x eBikes and really enjoying the exercise and the slower pace, which is allowing us to see more. Just which the weight on the back of your MH, but enjoy none the less.

16. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee Funster

I have the HydraTrail EasyLift but also bought a small ramp. I find it easier (when you have space to unload sideways) it saves a lot of time and lets you leave wheels permanently attached.

Rob

18. Adrian1

Adrian1 Funster

YES as Rob e Lee we use a easylift and take a trans alp 650 great motorhomes and motorbikes have to remember when to wave and when to tilt my head but we also get bikers wave when we are towing

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. bigtwin

bigtwin Funster

image.jpeg Thus far, I have transported a total of four motorcycles (Honda CG 125, Honda CD175 (pictured), Honda CB250RSA & Ducati 999) in our garage but this is the only evidence that I have to hand!

20. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Realistically are you going to use a big bike when out and about in the van ?
    At various times over the years we have taken all sorts of bikes on all sorts of trailers and gizmos.. From one of my Blackbirds, to a 1200 GS, to a .. well you get the picture

Now all we take is a little chinky 125 thing.
    Light enough to go on a home brew towbar rack and good enough to do, say, 15 to 20 miles on without issue.