WHO OFFERS THE BEST INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER FOR SATELLITE INTERNET ? (1 Viewer)

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
Hi there,
We currently are using iPcopter as our internet provider for our Oyster Satellite Internet set up but we have found the service of late has not been as reliable as we would like. We are wanting to change to a different provider and one that has a UK based ISP as we feel that would be more suitable for our requirements. However, we have no idea which, what or who in the UK can offer us the best and most reliable service for our set up and we would greatly appreciate some honest feedback from anyone who currently is using any of the UK based providers in their motorhome too. We need a set up that will cover most of Europe too.
Thank you.
Sue x

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I am very interested in any replies to this - had satellite internet fitted at Conrad Anderson last year and am with BeyondSL

I had hoped this would serve all my internet needs but so far I can't say I am impressed, and I rarely if ever bother with it preferring to use my original Huawei mifi - which in England seems pretty reliable in most places - though it was not a lot of use in Scotland and the more out of the way places though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I have the 85cm Oyster dish, also fitted by Conrad Anderson, and have had a subscription through satelliteinternet.co.uk (previously BeyonDSL I believe) for nearly two years. It has worked wherever I have been, including the Algarve and Sicily, although it can be hit-and-miss at times. I was looking at IPcopter as an alternative but it sounds like they are having similar problems. When I first had my system fitted and checked the home page of the ISP it would regularly show traffic as being low but now I can't remember the last time I saw this. I take it that so many more people use satellite internet now, not just in motorhomes but in remote places, that it is slowing the download/upload speeds right down. I did enquire online with Tooway about their system but the operator said it was mainly used for static installations, although I did meet a motorhomer the other day who uses a portable dish on a tripod with Tooway. He said he has no problems with it other than he has to ring them to change zones when he is travelling (there are four different zones).
Although I have the automatic satellite-seeking system with automatic skew adjustment I have recently taken to adjust the dish once it is locked onto the satellite (I use the remote, no climbing on the roof!) and this helps as I have found it is never perfectly tuned (y)

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
So how quick do you find it in use for say browsing 0r uploading photographs?

And how do you actually fine tune yours?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We installed one yesterday and the customer has opted for a year subscription with Bernhardt at IPCopter

To be fair it was a good fast connection, allowing our customer to uploads tires to his FB account and browse the net with no apparently lagging or buffering

Perhaps speak IPCopter if you have sped issues, as you shouldn't have

Eddie

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
So how quick do you find it in use for say browsing 0r uploading photographs?

And how do you actually fine tune yours?

It varies with location but browsing is normally fine regardless, uploading photos dependent on signal if at the edge of the footprint. and speed if traffic is heavy. To fine-tune the dish is quite easy, you just go into the menu once the satellite signal is locked and choose the manual option. You can then adjust the Azimuth, elevation and skew :)

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I haven't been out of the Uk so should be well within footprint - but a small youtube clip which I would expect to take between 6 and 12 minutes informed me it would take 84 minutes. And when I got up next morning it still hadn't uploaded. :(

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I haven't been out of the Uk so should be well within footprint - but a small youtube clip which I would expect to take between 6 and 12 minutes informed me it would take 84 minutes. And when I got up next morning it still hadn't uploaded. :(
There is definitely something wrong then.

OP
OP
Skeggysue

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
Thank you everyone for your replies!
I will speak to Bernhard as Eddie suggested as the one thing we have always been happy with is his excellent after sales service!
Thanks again.
Sue x

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
I agree with the above, sounds like somrethings wrong. I have had slow downloads before but nothing lke that, I have left my laptop downloading a 3gb OS overnight no problem, also large maps etc of 1-2gb.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back