Who knows about grapes for wine? (1 Viewer)

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Early in the week we spent a couple of nights on the aire at Sauternes, which is well recommended if you get into this corner of France. We were in the midst of acres and acres of grapevines but just look at the picture of a bunch of grapes which were nothing like what I imagined them to be as they were all shrivelled and mancky. They were just commencing picking them so do they normally look like this before wine making or were there acres upon acres of poor grapes

Last edited:

Yellow belly

Free Member
Sep 26, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2000
This is for making the very special sweet wine of the area, the mildew type grown is needed and they are left for it to form so the grapes have the extra sugar needed.
As far as I know it's the only area of France where they do this.
James

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
No mate. I've studied the photo, I think there being packed for Asda:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
This is for making the very special sweet wine of the area, the mildew type grown is needed and they are left for it to form so the grapes have the extra sugar needed.
James

This encourages 'Botritis' or 'Noble Rot' which,as said increases the sugar level for making desert wines. In certain areas of Germany and Canada the grapes are left until the frosts start and then are harevested to make 'Ice Wine' which is expensive but just out of this world ::bigsmile:

Mike

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Sauternes

Early in the week we spent a couple of nights on the aire at Sauternes, which is well recommended if you get into this corner of France. We were in the midst of acres and acres of grapevines but just look at the picture of a bunch of grapes which were nothing like what I imagined them to be as they were all shrivelled and mancky. They were just commencing picking them so do they normally look like this before wine making or were there acres upon acres of poor grapes

Snap. We were there earlier this week same aire, same grapes. Nice little aire and a nice little town. We were surprised that it was such a small town, a little village really when the wine is world famous.

Little wizened grapes are whats needed to make the sweet wine, that's why they leave them on the vine for so long. You may have noticed on your journey away from Sauternes that the vines get larger and taller with the red grapes which were just being picked as we left on Wednesday.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
James

There are several areas that do this. The muscat grapes used in the production of Muscat de Rivasalts produced just north of Perpignan and several vineyards around Banyules also pick late. This is a good friend who is the head boy at Rivasalts.

Attachments

• tour of france 018.jpg
    tour of france 018.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 27

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
There are several areas that do this. The muscat grapes used in the production of Muscat de Rivasalts produced just north of Perpignan and several vineyards around Banyules also pick late. This is a good friend who is the head boy at Rivasalts.

Banyuls is slightly different as it is a fortified wine made in the same way as port-the grapes are picked late but then alcohol is added to the 'must' and there is a long 'maturation' period.

The sweet wines of France are an absolute joy to discover,Rivesaltes,Beaume de Venise,Montbassillac,Barsac,plus many local wines produced in small quantities-they go well with deserts,but also with blue cheeses and sometimes with chocolat.
Do try them-you will be pleasantly surprised.:thumb:

Mike

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Banyuls is slightly different as it is a fortified wine made in the same way as port-the grapes are picked late but then alcohol is added to the 'must' and there is a long 'maturation' period.

The sweet wines of France are an absolute joy to discover,Rivesaltes,Beaume de Venise,Montbassillac,Barsac,plus many local wines produced in small quantities-they go well with deserts,but also with blue cheeses and sometimes with chocolat.
Do try them-you will be pleasantly surprised.:thumb:

Mike

Having lived in the Languedoc Roussillon area of France many years ago, believe me I have tried plenty of em :Smile:.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
In Germany they produce an Eiswein (ice wine), where the grapes aren't picked until there's been heavy frost, the water in the grape freezes leaving a much concentrated sugar and flavour in the grape producing a very unique wine (so I've been told)!!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Snowbird has just been telling us of his tour through the Rhine Valley where he will have been near my wine supplier, Jakob Gerhardt at Nierstein.

I don't know too much about wines/grapes but we've been buying from them for some 20 years since a sampling at the Ideal Home. As has been said about Ice Wines the longer the grapes are left on the vine the sweeter they become, Kabinett, Spatlese and Auslese are the German classifications with maybe as little as 2 weeks between the picking. I always thought of Chardonnay as a dry wine but didn't realise my mistake until we bought a fruity version.

Another story, but trying to find the storage facility at Dexheim where we were shown round, we got lost in Oppenheim, a medieval town with streets to match, the wife had to do a red flag job in front of the van to get us out of there. :whatthe:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
The reason why the dessert wines are so expensive is that each grape is picked individually (as opposed to machine bunch picking). If the grape has insufficient noble rot it isn't picked for the dessert wine. :thumb:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Ice wine is also made in the Canadian vineyards by the same method of leaving on the vine to ice up. This method also helps sloes and damsons to make the perfect liqueur,it can be created by washing and putting them in the freezer.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Cannot really comment on the original post... :Sad:

But I am an authority on the end result... :thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
As life long grape grower, wine producer (Picture below is this years entire crop of grapes, oh and of Blue berries)
I can honestly say it will be a while before I can produce sufficient for a dribble of wine, hee hee

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back