Who keeps their MH on their drive? (1 Viewer)

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We keep ours on the drive without any problems but there isn't a covenant to say we can't. Our last house did have covenants for caravans, Motorhomes and commercial vans. It was ok for a while but it only took 1 complaint and the the leaseholder enforced it.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Ours stays on the drive.
It lives on a specially constructed concrete drive behind a six foot fence and gate.
Never asked any ones permission and never had a problem.
There is room on the front drives for at least five cars and occasionally I have a guest MH parked there.
A builder across the road, who had just moved in, told me it wasn't supposed to be parked there because it was too big.
I pointed to his three sign written vans/pickup parked on the grass and his drive and told him that wasn't either.
He is my friend now.
A councillor up the avenue complained about it being parked there until I pointed out that she used her VW camper as her car and parked it on her drive.
She now waves to me when she passes.

As to being an advert to Billy Burglar that we are away from home, it spends that much time at Catterick Caravans that they never know if we are home or not.
Anyway, our 29 year old son lives here full time and we have damn good neighbours who keep an eye on each others property.

I have no idea if there is a covenant or not and I have lived here for 27 years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
We bought ours to fit on the drive at our last house. ( 7.3m) we could still open the garage door with a couple of feet to spare. There were covenants about parking, but the original developer is no longer around so we didn't take any notice of it. Our neighbour made a couple of comments about it being difficult to get off his drive because our van was parked front in to the house, but he was an idiot and always drove his Discovery onto the drive instead of reversing it on. We didn't take any notice of him either.
Now we have moved, our driveway is 1/4 Mile long. I suppose we could get a longer van now.........
Disco drivers are very nice, see my neighbour when I had a caravan. On one occasion he reversed his wife's Focus back to his boundary line as he knew I was going away. But caravans will turn on the spot so just bumped it off the kerb.
git.jpg

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
We have various covenants where i live . No caravans or MHs , no commercial vehicles with signage and all building alterations have to be approved by a majority of other residents .
We are all shareholders in a limited company .
We ALL adhere to the rules of the covenants as it is to the benefit of us all , my MH is in storage and i sought permission to overnight the MH on the development (barn conversion ) pre MH trips which was approved.
I would never wantonly break a covenant and " see if anyone complained ".

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have various covenants where i live . No caravans or MHs , no commercial vehicles with signage and all building alterations have to be approved by a majority of other residents .
We ALL adhere to the rules of the covenants as it is to the benefit of us all , my MH is in storage and i sought permission to overnight the MH on the development (barn conversion ) pre MH trips which was approved.
You have a different situation to most people and I can understand your wanting to be more considerate to your neighbours being in a 'barn conversion' development where you are all closer together and want to retain the ambience of the place but for most people living in more usual housing stock that's not an issue.

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
We keep our on the drive. It's always plugged in, secure and handy as an extended bedroom when we have visitors. No covenants but if I park it face out I get a parking ticket. ...
Park it face out and get a parking ticket? How does that work if it is on your property?

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
You can probably ignore the covenant as it it was probably set by the builders, assuming this is on some sort of estate. It would have been written to keep the place tidy while they were still selling the new houses. They won't be interested in pursuing it now.

However, it isn't a good idea to fall out with your neighbours so you need to either ask them or put yourself in their position, is your MH going to block anyone's view or dominate the street?
I don't have this problem because I don't have a drive. We have a residents parking permit for one of our local car parks...but, if I did have a drive to put it on I would be more concerned to not fall out with the neighbours. You wouldn't want to come out to find some irate person had keyed your prized possession...or worse

Reactions: DBK

Bobtbadger

Free Member
Nov 5, 2012
Dunstable
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, TAG Axle
Exp
Since 2011
I keep my Frankia (8.4 mtrs) and an Eriba Puck caravan (4 mtrs) on the driveway that runs down the side of my house. I am lucky because there is a gate which allows me to hide the bulk of the vans and still allows me to park a vehicle off-road on the other side. No idea if there are any covenants and I've never had anyone complain

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
We park ours on the drive. We had the grass tarmacked to get it on. We have had only one problem with our next door neighbours . They tried to get it moved. But they lied to the council , they said it had only been there 5 years. As it has been there since new , It is 25 years old. The council ruled in our favour.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Disco drivers are very nice, see my neighbour when I had a caravan. On one occasion he reversed his wife's Focus back to his boundary line as he knew I was going away. But caravans will turn on the spot so just bumped it off the kerb.
View attachment 89217
Wouldn't even matter if I didn't live in the road I wouldn't be putting up with that parked hanging over the pavement. People like that should have the licence taken off them & there feet broken to ensure they can't do it any more.:mad:

The difference is the LTD. co. which means the covenants are always going to be enforceable.

Park it face out and get a parking ticket? How does that work if it is on your property?
Unless it overhangs.

I don't have this problem because I don't have a drive. We have a residents parking permit for one of our local car parks...but, if I did have a drive to put it on I would be more concerned to not fall out with the neighbours. You wouldn't want to come out to find some irate person had keyed your prized possession...or worse

:LOL: I'd just pay a call on the last one who complained.

DuncanH

Free Member
Mar 10, 2015
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Since 2015
On drive down the side of our house, one of the reasons we brought a panel van due to width available. Wanted to keep at the house so easy to get away when just going for a night or two.
Lots of cars park on the road and it can be difficult to reverse in, when my opposite neighbour saw me struggling he told me I can drive into his driveway and reverse back anytime if it makes it easier. We have nice neighbours.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Ours is on the drive and with a motorhome at 10m and a maximum 10.5t, I dug out the drive especially for it. Laid reinforced concrete and blocks on top. Also installed a hook up point and a foul water drain with an RV connection on it to allow dumping of tanks upon return from Scout camp. The only problem I have, is keeping the VeryOldMoIceCreamInternetMan from using it whilst being a freeloading tosser in the St Albans area, when we are away, again, again, again.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Mine's on the drive, original restrictions were no chickens, no brewing, caravans allowed at top of drives only and light goods vehicles only.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
On the drive. We are very much on our own at the end of our village though so no-one to complain about us. Only problem is our postman doesn't know how wide his van is so insists on driving on the very wet and soggy lawn to go round it. I suppose it's better than bumping the MH though.

Phil.1300

Free Member
Jan 12, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
The only problem with parking on the drive is when the M H isn't there every one knows your probably away so house is unoccupied

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
The only problem with parking on the drive is when the M H isn't there every one knows your probably away so house is unoccupied
We have a policeman living two doors away! That helps!

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Moved in the last year and only just getting around to sorting a proper space for the MH in the front garden.
image.jpeg

Four strips now dug out. Knocked up 3 1/2 ton of concrete yesterday and another 3 ton of ballast coming on Monday. It beats going to the gym.

Ginge3685

Free Member
Jun 5, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
K
I bought my bungalow 33 years ago. About 20 years ago the land registry in Plymouth issued me with "new deeds" and low and behold the one covenant regarding any extra "building" had to be done in the same brick as a bungalow down the road was no longer written in it. I did query the omission at the time and was assured that it was not possible to enforce the covenant as the type of brick was no longer available the brick works no longer existed !! Maybe that could apply to other covenants??

Montybe

Free Member
Nov 13, 2012
Somerset UK
Funster No
MH
Lowline Mototrek
Exp
40 years on and off
We bought our house and rebuilt the drives so we can park the M/H on one drive the VW Campervan on the other, the sportscar in the garage and still have space for 2 other cars. Being a 1930 built house there are no covenants or other restrictions.
But if necessary there are M/H, caravan, boat storage facilities around the country, in my case in Somerset for about £500 per annum, in-barn storage but unfortunately with no hook-up.
Try, Link Removed

Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
Yes like the demand to rebuild the local church roof for £150000 because of some ruling that is hundreds of years old against the property and VERY ENFORCEABLE in the courts because the Church Law of the Cof E Has the full power of the Law of the Land with the rights going back into history, same with t Royal Estates and the Duchy of Cornwall.

True, an industrial unit I`m buying has the same but its insurable against a claim, £136 for 10yrs I think.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back