Who keeps their MH on their drive? (1 Viewer)

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
A lot of of these covenanants are put in by the church or lord of the Manor possibly set in stone years ago they think they own the earth we walk on
Sodem do what you want as long as it does not annoy the neighbours as they are more important.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
On the drive. When we swapped the caravan for a motorhome I formed a second drive using porous material, slightly uphill so the water runs off the roof nicely. Only problems with one neighbour but just ignored him. The house is built on land formerly owned by the Church of Scotland so there are many requirements in the covenant, all widely ignored since we moved into this house, new, some 38 years ago.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Yes but sometimes get snowed in!
image.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The drop kerb was the most expensive part of our conversion from garden to parking, £615.00, robbing bloody council and they wouldn't let anyone else do it either! :mad:
That is very cheap ours cost £1500 for the council contractors to put it in. That is robbery as they did two together in a morning.The price was each.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Our council wanted £750 to drop the kerb, my jobbing builder did it for £350!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Council told me when I asked about them altering the sloping sides of our dropped kerbs , " do it yourself,It'll be cheaper" "Just ensure who you use has 5 million public liability cover "

The legislation which is effective in the UK is the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960, specifically S29(1).

But that is a law the council would use & not a covenant to which the poster was stating that a 'management company' was referring.
With reference to your link I fail to see how parking a privately owned vehicle on your own property could be construed as a 'caravan site' ,or anything to do with one, & would personally use the EU to dispute the fact. Additionally you just move it into the road where it is perfectly legal as the precedent has already been established under EU rules.No differentiation between a car & a motorhome. (which is how the " camping & stationery" differentiation came about for spanish motorhomers & anyone else using a MH in Spain.)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
So ( reading from above) if you are banned from keeping it on the drive, park it on the road. As long as you aren't causing an unnecessary obstruction, no one can do anything about it.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
But that is a law the council would use & not a covenant to which the poster was stating that a 'management company' was referring.
With reference to your link I fail to see how parking a privately owned vehicle on your own property could be construed as a 'caravan site' ,or anything to do with one, & would personally use the EU to dispute the fact. Additionally you just move it into the road where it is perfectly legal as the precedent has already been established under EU rules.No differentiation between a car & a motorhome. (which is how the " camping & stationery" differentiation came about for spanish motorhomers & anyone else using a MH in Spain.)
No, it isn't simply "a law the council would use" nor is anyone trying to say "parking a privately owned vehicle on your own property could be construed as a 'caravan site' ,or anything to do with one".

What happens is that, when a covenant is drawn up (just as with off-street parking orders for instance), the terms within it need to be defined for clarity. A lawyer drawing up a covenant will, therefore, include a clause something like "A caravan is a vehicle as defined by S29(1) of the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960". That means that they don't have to bother coming up with their own, separate, definition which might then be challenged.
A covenant would not be used to control parking on street but some councils implement traffic orders controlling the parking of certain vehicles. That is especially the case with council estates.

The differentiation which applies in Spain has no relevance to this discussion as we are talking about UK law not Spanish law (or even any supposed EU rules). If anyone believes that not to be the case then perhaps they can post a link to the legislation (i.e. not to a rumour mill) and explain exactly why it is relevant to this discussion.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So ( reading from above) if you are banned from keeping it on the drive, park it on the road. As long as you aren't causing an unnecessary obstruction, no one can do anything about it.
Correct, unless there is a traffic order banning certain vehicles. As per my post above, controls exist in some council estates but perhaps the widest known is the GLC implemented ban on parking lorries over 5 tonnes overnight in certain areas.

Oct 5, 2014
peterborough
Funster No
MH
micro van
Exp
Ours is on the drive, although there is a covenant, no problem with our neighbours, but, down the Close another MH owner had problems. They said that they would put the NH on their drive or on the road in front of their house as it was taxed and insured! They have had no more problems.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
We have lived in a cul-de-sac for the last 8yrs have our Motorhome on the drive.I seem to remember some in the deeds about parking a Motorhome but we have never had a problem.i think a lot lot depends on your neighbours,and we have good ones.
Brian & Jo

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We moved house, (downsizing), six weeks ago.

The ability to park our Motorhome on the drive was one of the essentials of our house search. Currently, in our, street, there are four other Motorhomes parked on drives so we are content.

We were a little concerned that our near neighbours may be concerned so, soon after moving in, I went to see them in order to introduce myself and mention our motorhome.

When the elderly lady answered the door introduced myself as the new neighbour and, before I could add anything, she said " Oh yes. I wanted a word with you."

Fearing the worst I waited. She said, "we don't have a car anymore so, if your family visits and you need parking space you can use our drive. We love your camper. We always wanted one ourselves. Good on you".

I think we have moved to the right place.:)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We moved house, (downsizing), six weeks ago.

The ability to park our Motorhome on the drive was one of the essentials of our house search. Currently, in our, street, there are four other Motorhomes parked on drives so we are content.

We were a little concerned that our near neighbours may be concerned so, soon after moving in, I went to see them in order to introduce myself and mention our motorhome.

When the elderly lady answered the door introduced myself as the new neighbour and, before I could add anything, she said " Oh yes. I wanted a word with you."

Fearing the worst I waited. She said, "we don't have a car anymore so, if your family visits and you need parking space you can use our drive. We love your camper. We always wanted one ourselves. Good on you".

I think we have moved to the right place.:)
A funster meet already!!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
A funster meet already!!
Great idea.

But even with our neighbours drive I don't think we would have the room.

Now, let me think.

Multi point extension lead, connect a hose to the kitchen tap. Lift the inspection pit to the main sewer for black water disposal. Could be a nice little earner. (y)Where is the publisher of "Brit Stops" when you need him?(n)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
How lovely.
Any more houses for sale in your road....? :)
Actually, the one we really wanted, (a for sale sign in the drive), had gone when we rang the Estate Agent.

After negotiating our move it came back on the market, too late. However, having had to make alterations to our buy it will become "our" home, designed by us. The other one may not have encouraged such a radical makeover.

Things tend to work out for the best!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The differentiation which applies in Spain has no relevance to this discussion as we are talking about UK law not Spanish law (or even any supposed EU rules). If anyone believes that not to be the case then perhaps they can post a link to the legislation (i.e. not to a rumour mill) and explain exactly why it is relevant to this discussion.

It does because the problem was taken to the EU which is what made the Spanish have to correct it. If it applies to Spain as a result of an EU decision then it applies to all EU states.
EU rules always take priority over National laws except if a national law conveys more rights on a citizen than the EU rule.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We or rather I am in a 5+ year battle with our neighbours regarding a similar situation.

Short and tall of it all is.

The house we live in has a shared easement that leads to our driveways. This easement is shared by four homes. At the entrance, house number 1 has no need to use the easement as they have their own double width driveway direct to the street level.

When we moved in 21 years ago. House number 1 had a motorhome and then had two caravans. They sold them and then had none other than an occasional friends.

11 years ago, we bought our first motorhome and that is when the green eyed monsters popped up.

House number 1, who has flouted just about every covenant we have. Have made it their business to make the access to our drive to houses 2,3 and 4 as narrow and as difficult as possible. So, I have first hand experiences of what you describe.

My Advice:

*Never ever buy a home with a shared driveway access
*If you do go to view a new build / off plan home. Get the builder/developer to remove the covenants before you buy
*If you MUST buy a house with covenants on that may affect you. Check the surrounding properties to find out what and how they have been ignored.

TM

OP
OP
J

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
my wife is on the case, she is a property solicitor so is investigating how enforceable the covenant is.

Our plan if we buy the house is to park on the drive, be good neighbours, no loud music, introduce ourselves to the neighbours asap, keep the house frontage in good order, and then see if anyone complains.

I have to say parking on the drive is important to us, with the MH over 30 mins from our house we aren't using it as often as I'd like and I don't like not being able to keep an eye on it over the winter, I'm going to check on it this weekend.

The house is pretty amazing and not being able to park the MH on the drive isn't a deal breaker but it would be annoying considering there's room and it would mean we would use it more often.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It does because the problem was taken to the EU which is what made the Spanish have to correct it. If it applies to Spain as a result of an EU decision then it applies to all EU states.
EU rules always take priority over National laws except if a national law conveys more rights on a citizen than the EU rule.
Sorry, all you have posted is an opinion. As I said, post a link to the legislation (i.e. not to a rumour mill) and explain exactly why it is relevant to this discussion.

Jul 15, 2015
Isleham Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2012
There was a covenant on our house but it was time limited think it was 20 years from when the house was built. All keep it on the drive for that last Minuite get away

OP
OP
J

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
As long as you are happy to move home for the sake of parking your MH on the drive?

What if you get fed up or need to stop touring! Will you regret moving?

TM

If this is aimed at me then we aren't moving just to accommodate our MH, we are renting at the moment and are looking to buy, MH parking isn't a must but it is something we would prefer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back