Who keeps their MH on their drive? (1 Viewer)

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We had a second drive/parking area (porous materials) put in across front of house, at the expense of an area of banked garden, to specifically accommodate the van. The primary drive goes up the side of the house and up an incline so not ideal, trying to park van there obscures access to garage and motorcycles.

Don't trust vendors or conveyancers, verify for yourself. The property we purchased 5 years ago is from early 70s so we had wrongly assumed no related covenants. Advised conveyancer of our requirement up front to park van, hence didnt want such covenants in place, vendor assured there were none. However, without being warned/informed by conveyancer, reviewed papers and found a restrictive covenant instantiated by now defunct/absorbed building company. We therefore went ahead anyway with a covenant insurance policy, just in case (for what that's worth). Neighbours so far have all been fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
simple question, do you keep your MH on your drive?

Currently we don't as their isn't room but we are house hunting and have found a place we like but there's a covenant on it saying you can't park caravans, boats and MH on your drive, which is a bit East Germany but it is a very nice house.

Just wondered who out there has similar restrictions but ignores them? We plan to park it anyway and see if anyone complains.

There is another one that says you have to keep your front lawn to max of 1 inch in length which is hilarious, and specifys rotary washing lines only which is just daft.

Interestingly there is one that says your front lawn must stay as lawn, but the house opposite has completely paved their front garden for parking, wonder if they got consent or just did it?

I bought a Bungalow in 2009. which we where told had, had a covenant when new prohibiting the parking of Caravans, Motor-homes, and "Works Vans"!!.

I tackled my Solicitor on the point, and Interestingly she advised that the covenant CAN ONLY (in law) be exercised by the Original Developer, (in our case now Defunct, they went bust) and who some 30 years down the line is unlikely to want to expend more cash on something that was very likely ONLY included originally to improve "cosmetic" visibility during the sales process anyway (most modern developers do it) BTW in Somerset in the 80`s I bought a new Bungalow (Yeovil) "off Plan" and the builder actually Waived the requirement on my deed, in order to get my Sale!!!.

On a practical note, we have at least 3 M-H`s AND 3 Caravans in the one road!!

Pete

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
On the Drive...
It only just fits - length was a major condiseration when looking to purchase.. It's 7m so I had to change the up-an-over garage door for a rolly type..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Ours is at home on the drive. Before we bought our first van I checked the covenants (even though I was already pretty sure there were none which banned caravans). Our neighbours have no objections at all to our van. Indeed, they all keep an eye on the house when we are away.

I have some notes Here.

Bazzermc

Free Member
Feb 7, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
I'm a newbie
We purchased a house that had all sort of restrictions in the conveyance (for example - no TV aerials), so raised with solicitor before purchase.
Solicitor stated agreement was between original builder and first purchaser and if a neighbour wanted to complain against something we had done which was restricted, they had to go through the string of owners on their side back to original agreement and then back up our side, in practice this would never happen on a house of 30+ years, so don't worry about it.
We have had caravan and now motorhome on drive for many years with no complaints (at one time both for couple months).

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Oh - and don't breach any covenants owned by the C of E. You haven't seen 'aggressive' if you haven't seen the lengths they go to, to uphold them! An uninsurable risk that one!
Yes like the demand to rebuild the local church roof for £150000 because of some ruling that is hundreds of years old against the property and VERY ENFORCEABLE in the courts because the Church Law of the Cof E Has the full power of the Law of the Land with the rights going back into history, same with t Royal Estates and the Duchy of Cornwall.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Not at all ..
Yes it is, I have to back out and my silly wife was looking for traffic for me and allowed me to back into a railing smashing my rear light unit. She said you only told me to look out for traffic not tell me not to hit the wall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
On the drive at this house but previously had a house with a covenant saying no work vans, caravans etc to be parked and when we did park a work van on the drive the neighbors complained and we got a letter from solicitors! Some people have nothing better to do! We soon moved.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I keep mine on the drive.
Our son has just bought an 18 year old detached property in the Staffordshire moorlands which as covenants no caravans etc. He has moved there with his 2003 motorhome and parked it at the side of his property on the grass. He as put in for planning permission for the pavement be lowered at the side of his property, to move his boundary wall and to put up double gates. Opposite a policeman lives and he has put in a complaint against the proposed planning but it has been rejected and our son has had the permission to go ahead.

John.
The drop kerb was the most expensive part of our conversion from garden to parking, £615.00, robbing bloody council and they wouldn't let anyone else do it either! :mad:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ours is on the drive, our house is the only one in the road without a covenant on it. Was built mid 60's rest of the estate was built between 30's & mid 50's and the properties have a covenant banning keeping caravans on the premises, but the original builder who placed the covenant has long since gone out of business & several residents have caravans on their drives, never heard of anyone complaining.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
On our drive,siting of secutity post governs maximum length!
originally put in for our caravan,I put it in and there is no way I'm digging it out!
And yes you can still open the garage door (y)

20151225_150356.jpg

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
I keep mine on the drive easy to fill up charge batteries ready for a quick get away at the weekends. I do not have a clue if there is a covenant the way i see it park it if no complaints carry on if someone complains you can always cross that bridge when it comes to it ie move it to storage or find out who is objecting and
take it from there.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
On the drive. No covenants on this house :) I could keep a cow on the front if I wanted :) ..... or pigs.......

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
..... Our neighbours have no objections at all to our van. Indeed, they all keep an eye on the house when we are away.
One of the reasons I was keen to get the garage converted and the van off the drive, was that I always felt we were advertising "we're away on holiday" every time the van wasn't there.

Indeed on my drive to work I pass a number of houses "normally" with vans on the drive and am always jealous when they've gone!

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Ours is parked on the drive we we built specially for it. There seem to be no restrictions here which is just as well as our next door neighbour is a caravan hater. In one house I had there was a restriction but I had a deal with my neighbour I didn't complain about their caravans and they didn't complain about my boats.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
on the drive with covernant.

our property was built in the early 80's, we moved in 87, we parked a caravan on the drive around 1995 with no complaints form anybody. A few years later someone futher up road put a caravan accross thier lawn, the person oppersite complained about it but it stayed put, at that piont I contacted the builder who placed the covernant on the properties ( Bellway) they did not want to know as too long a time dad passed and they said they would not try to enforce it. Case closed

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We bought ours to fit on the drive at our last house. ( 7.3m) we could still open the garage door with a couple of feet to spare. There were covenants about parking, but the original developer is no longer around so we didn't take any notice of it. Our neighbour made a couple of comments about it being difficult to get off his drive because our van was parked front in to the house, but he was an idiot and always drove his Discovery onto the drive instead of reversing it on. We didn't take any notice of him either.
Now we have moved, our driveway is 1/4 Mile long. I suppose we could get a longer van now.........

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
On the drive at this house but previously had a house with a covenant saying no work vans, caravans etc to be parked and when we did park a work van on the drive the neighbors complained and we got a letter from solicitors! Some people have nothing better to do! We soon moved.
Might have had something to do with your 'work vehicle' being a dustcart???? :D

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
simple question, do you keep your MH on your drive?

Currently we don't as their isn't room but we are house hunting and have found a place we like but there's a covenant on it saying you can't park caravans, boats and MH on your drive, which is a bit East Germany but it is a very nice house.

Just wondered who out there has similar restrictions but ignores them? We plan to park it anyway and see if anyone complains.

There is another one that says you have to keep your front lawn to max of 1 inch in length which is hilarious, and specifys rotary washing lines only which is just daft.

Interestingly there is one that says your front lawn must stay as lawn, but the house opposite has completely paved their front garden for parking, wonder if they got consent or just did it?
Check the wording of that covenant. We live on a modern estate with all sorts of rules but the covenant expired 5 years after house first sold. Shame there isnt really room for our MH anyay and as for weaving through all the badly parked cars that's another story. God help anyone if there's a fire as no fire engine or ambulance is getting through.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
One of the reasons I was keen to get the garage converted and the van off the drive, was that I always felt we were advertising "we're away on holiday" every time the van wasn't there.

Indeed on my drive to work I pass a number of houses "normally" with vans on the drive and am always jealous when they've gone!
I know what you mean about advertising. However, we live on an estate which is off a main road and suffers very little criminal activity. The only "business" is a school so there is little passing traffic to pick up on the fact that we are away. We have CCTV installed (mainly to watch the van when we are at home) and an alarm, which are visual deterrents, and our neighbours are great.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We keep our on the drive. It's always plugged in, secure and handy as an extended bedroom when we have visitors. No covenants but if I park it face out I get a parking ticket. ...

Why ?

Covenants can be enforced by anyone who has the benefit of it, the developers pass this benefit on to the residents after a period of time

Consent from the other residents who now have the benefit from the covenant and could enforce it.

we plan to park it on the drive an see if anyone nibbles, there's bound to be 1 busy body who has a moan, whether they are prepared to go to court of it is another matter

Not entirely sure where solicitors come into things, it's the developers who put them on houses.

I've had 2 houses on which there have been covenants. The first the builder/developer had long since died & basically I was informed by a solicitor that any enforcement would require a majority of the other residents, who had an interest, to complain & take part in any legal action. So having only 23 properties & having ascertained that 22 were in breach of some or many of the covenants I just went ahead.
I did take out an insurance policy for a small fee just in case though.

Been here 25 years + (freehold). Parked various vans, trailers, Sons caravans and even artic tractor units on my drive. On at least nodding terms with all the others living in the close, never had a problem.
Then a couple of years ago new neighbour moves in and letter arrives from management co. soon after pointing out the covenant restrictions on the parking of caravans. Bit peeved that no informal contact had been made, but as it had been sold to the sister-in-law we weren't overly bothered. By the time the second letter arrived it had gone.
July this year took delivery of our MH, parked on drive and gave majority of admiring neighbours guided tours. Early December letter from management co. stating it had been brought to their attention that a caravan was on my drive and that parking of caravans is not allowed.
Once again not overly bothered as it has always been planed to move it after Christmas to my business premises under cover for the winter.
Not entirely sure what prompts people to take such actions but whatever floats your boat I suppose!
May well offer to dry store my mates 35 foot motor yacht (on stilts) until he completes his overseas contract, I don't think that's a covenant restriction.
NB.
Legal definition of MH is same as a caravan at present I believe (or at least until someone tests it in court)!?
What has a " management company " to do with a freehold privately owned house ? I'm a bit lost .& no In EU law a self propelled vehicle isn't a trailer , which is what a caravan is .

Don't know ... just that when we were told about the covenant we said if we couldn't park a MH/caravan there we'd have to look to buy a different property - this was what they and their solicitor came up with and our solicitor also agreed it should be sufficient!

When we bought our last house off plan there were various covenants put in place by the developer. One of which was
' No works vehicles/vans whether plain or sign written '
A mate of mine they refused to sell one to when they realised he proposed to park his own van at the house.

I keep mine on the drive.
Our son has just bought an 18 year old detached property in the Staffordshire moorlands which as covenants no caravans etc. He has moved there with his 2003 motorhome and parked it at the side of his property on the grass. He as put in for planning permission for the pavement be lowered at the side of his property, to move his boundary wall and to put up double gates. Opposite a policeman lives and he has put in a complaint against the proposed planning but it has been rejected and our son has had the permission to go ahead.

John.
Planning permission & covenants have nothing to do with each other unless the council has some original involvement with them.

I bought a Bungalow in 2009. which we where told had, had a covenant when new prohibiting the parking of Caravans, Motor-homes, and "Works Vans"!!.

I tackled my Solicitor on the point, and Interestingly she advised that the covenant CAN ONLY (in law) be exercised by the Original Developer, (in our case now Defunct, they went bust) and who some 30 years down the line is unlikely to want to expend more cash on something that was very likely ONLY included originally to improve "cosmetic" visibility during the sales process anyway (most modern developers do it) BTW in Somerset in the 80`s I bought a new Bungalow (Yeovil) "off Plan" and the builder actually Waived the requirement on my deed, in order to get my Sale!!!.

On a practical note, we have at least 3 M-H`s AND 3 Caravans in the one road!!

Pete
Exactly what I was told on both occasions with the addendum that it would require a majority of owners to even contemplate attempting to enforce one.

The first one we bought in Devon had the usual ones but obviously being farming areas & in the early 70's they didn't want to take a chance withe the locals so we had
No chickens, geese, fowl of any description kept to the front of the property.
No fences to the front or sides between adjacent properties- No hedges &tree's or any sort of border at the front over 12" height.
No washing lines to the front
No alterations to the external appearance of the side facing the road . Which wasn't the front of mine but one end & the reason I had to enquire about the covenants as it theoretically ruled out being able to change the windows which were metal framed & needed an ice scraper inside in the mornings:cry:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
In EU law a self propelled vehicle isn't a trailer , which is what a caravan is .
The legislation which is effective in the UK is the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960, specifically S29(1).
“caravan” means any structure designed or adapted for human habitation which is capable of being moved from one place to another (whether by being towed, or by being transported on a motor vehicle or trailer) and any motor vehicle so designed or adapted.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
On the drive, I know thats a caravan. but now its a Rapido, if yer see wot a mean, Car as long gone,. :whistle2:

Attachments

• 100_3623.jpg
    100_3623.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 39

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread