Who keeps their MH on their drive?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jabberwocky, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Funster

simple question, do you keep your MH on your drive?

Currently we don't as their isn't room but we are house hunting and have found a place we like but there's a covenant on it saying you can't park caravans, boats and MH on your drive, which is a bit East Germany but it is a very nice house.

Just wondered who out there has similar restrictions but ignores them? We plan to park it anyway and see if anyone complains.

There is another one that says you have to keep your front lawn to max of 1 inch in length which is hilarious, and specifys rotary washing lines only which is just daft.

Interestingly there is one that says your front lawn must stay as lawn, but the house opposite has completely paved their front garden for parking, wonder if they got consent or just did it?

2. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Consent from who ? I asked this question years ago & was told the developers put them in to protect themselves against you having the washing on the front lawn & chickens walking about but once they are done it would be down to other owners to put in the complaint. On the other hand in places like Milton Keynes they are by-laws preventing it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

We keep ours on my mothers drive!

The deed of covenant thing has been discussed many times. I believe they are largely introduced when the house was built, to make an estate look good to sell all of the homes. I very much doubt that a covenant restricting grass growth would be enforced!

4. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

We keep our on the drive. It's always plugged in, secure and handy as an extended bedroom when we have visitors. No covenants but if I park it face out I get a parking ticket. ...

• Like Like x 3
  5. ronidog1

ronidog1 Funster

mine is on the drive that I had made for it. I view the same as the neighbours 2 cars being parked on the drive. Covenants are only followed at the time of sales by solicitors to make money :)

6. Enword

Enword Funster

On the drive

7. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

I suppose it depends how much grief the neighbors are prepared to give you lol

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

on drive..

9. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Funster

Covenants can be enforced by anyone who has the benefit of it, the developers pass this benefit on to the residents after a period of time

Consent from the other residents who now have the benefit from the covenant and could enforce it.

we plan to park it on the drive an see if anyone nibbles, there's bound to be 1 busy body who has a moan, whether they are prepared to go to court of it is another matter

Not entirely sure where solicitors come into things, it's the developers who put them on houses.

10. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

You can probably ignore the covenant as it it was probably set by the builders, assuming this is on some sort of estate. It would have been written to keep the place tidy while they were still selling the new houses. They won't be interested in pursuing it now.

However, it isn't a good idea to fall out with your neighbours so you need to either ask them or put yourself in their position, is your MH going to block anyone's view or dominate the street?

• Like Like x 1
  11. ronidog1

ronidog1 Funster

mind you mine complained when I parked in the road. So now they dare not say anything..

• Like Like x 3
  12. ronidog1

ronidog1 Funster

Covenants should always be notified to the purchaser by those doing the conveyancing for them just in case it is an issue for them

13. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Yes , ours is on our drive with dedicated hook up, sewage dump and water.

14. f6c

f6c Funster

No Drive Park 9 miles away:cautious:

15. lorger

lorger Funster

we had them at one of our old houses and also had no vans with signs on eg work vans, so when some one who worked for the local wood yard made a sarcastic comment i just reminded him about his van. You would be surprised what they put in these things.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

:confused: Surely it's more dangerous to back out of a driveway with a motorhome than it is to drive out?

17. stephen harwood

stephen harwood Funster

Dont park on drive aint got one

18. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Hmmmmm, well, when I bought this house forty odd years ago it had a two foot high single board 'fence' round it. It was said you were allowed to put a six foot fence round the back but not the front/side in my case.
    Not a problem, I planted a Hawthorne and Laurel hedge with a touch of Pyracantha thrown in for good measure, not a fence you see. So we now have an eight foot perimeter hedge round the side and a three foot one out front.
    We doubled the width of the drive to put a caravan there but it wasn't long enough for the MoHo so in 2014 we chopped a hole into the hedge and put double gates in. Job done, it's out of sight and behind double locked six foot gates. (y) :LOL:

• Like Like x 3
  19. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

At home on our drive.

When we bought our 'rental' bungalow in Scunthorpe we found there was a covenant restricting the siting of caravans, vans, MHs etc to "behind the property line" ... fine for those with a side drives but our bungalow's drive is at the front of the property as it's in the corner of a cul-de-sac! We originally bought it with a view to letting it out short term as we intended to live there in the not too distant future so we paid for the builder to put up a 6ft high fence along the front edge of the garden which legally 'moved' the "property line" out from the physical front wall of the bungalow itself to the front edge of the garden and therefore we would be permitted to park our MH on it - this had to be done before completion and via the builder as doing it ourselves/later wouldn't 'move' the property line!

As things changes we didn't 'need' to move there (and are unlikely to do so now) so continue to rent it out but it does give some privacy to our bungalow and the property opposite, and means that in the future when we sell it there'll be no problem if someone wants to keep a motorhome/caravan on it.

This is the rental bungalow on the left with the fence opposite:

front drive.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  20. The Cruisers

The Cruisers Funster

On the drive.

• Like Like x 1