Who has done the longest drive

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bernardfeay, Feb 8, 2015.

1. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

I spotted a post on here about a long drive. Got me thinking about the good old days.

I have two claims to the title. By all means put me to shame.

Back in 1983 I lived in Vancouver and my 2nd wife's family lived in Wichita. The journey is 2070 miles. We had often done it in a car in 3 days setting off early each day and stopping late at night.

Then we bought a VW campervan with a top speed of 55 miles per hour. While we were in Wichita we had a massive row and my wife told me she was going to stay longer in Wichita and come home by plane. (The whole idea of driving was to save money coz we were broke.)

Rightly or wrongly I was very angry and drove straight home. It took me 48 hours with one nap on the way. They give you two hours back as you cross time zones so it took 50 hours really.

My other long drive was 650 miles from Vancouver to Calgary, then did a day's work then 650 miles back. It wasn't all done within 24 hours but it was done in one stint.

Yes, I know it is silly and dangerous to do this without taking appropriate breaks. I was a little younger then and a lot sillier. I don't want to turn the thread into recommendations on taking breaks. I am interested in who has seriously shifted through big miles.

2. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Did 2,000 miles over a week when touring in the USA. We did two nights in Flagstaff as Martin had an appointment with a telescope at the observatory. We saw an awful lot of small town USA :)

3. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

The most that I have done is about 12 hours with a 15 min nap. I felt great and only stopped at 2am because I didn't want to miss the scenery that we were about to travel through.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Not a record breaker but last weekend I did 1000 miles in 36 hours - solo 69 year old driver in a 24 year old camper.......... took breaks and an overnight stay..... no problem

(y)

• Like Like x 3
  5. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Alicanti to Weymouth, 1,575 miles, in 27 hours non stop + including the Calais to Dover crossing... :Eeek:

On reflection totally mad.... :blush::blush:

• Like Like x 2
  6. markh

markh

Edinburgh to Salobrena ( South of Granada) in 42 hours including the tunnel crossing

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

8. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Drove an RV from Chicago to Las Vegas via St Louis Memphis Tulsa Oklahoma Alberquerque etc 2980 miles but it took almost a month :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  9. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

The ACU National Rally was a regular jaunt for me back in the 60s. The official mileage was 600 but by the time you got to the start and then home after the finish it was often nearer to 850 miles. This was done in 24 hours and was on older bikes, no motorways, compulsory 1 hour rest stops every 200 miles and control points every 25/30 miles and you soon came up against the clock. Loved every one of them. Have done a few on the Wings but it's too easy now with the modern technology.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Irishrover

Irishrover Read Only Funster

11. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Rode my motorbike overland from London to Beijing a few years back approx 14000 miles one way took 13 weeks.
    Two years ago shipped same bike to Houston. Then Jan and I rode up to Canada then Alaska up to Prudhoe back to Vancouver down coast rode to LA then over to Florida back to Houston and shipped home. Approx 15000 miles took 10 weeks longest day 700 miles. Longest day in Rv crossing the Dakotas in USA 650 miles with Jeep on A frame but much easier than the same miles on a bike.:):):):)

• Like Like x 4
  12. westy77

westy77 Funster

Longest drive in one go was from Wolfsburg in Germany to Sheffield UK in this 1959 beetle. 30hp 1200 engine, no seatbelts, no fuel gauge, slightly lowered, 6v electrics, this was 2007 when the big storms and rain was going on (wipers not exactly the best). We set off around 9am, only stopped for fuel and the ferry on way back. Got home around 4am next day. The drive out there did have stops for meets and shows, one at Bad Camberg. Overall did about 2000 miles. Car never let us down the whole time. Got a lot of people slowing down on the autobahns to say hello as we screamed along at 60ish.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  13. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

i
    take it you still have the car

14. Irishrover

• Like Like x 1
  15. Irishrover

Are those genuine or repo Fuchs???

16. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

yes abut 1.5 hrs

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Savannah, Georgia to Cincinnati, Ohio, 663 miles, done in one day and stopped overnight to freshen up for a ham radio meet in Dayton Ohio the following day.

• Like Like x 2
  18. westy77

westy77 Funster

No, sadly had to sell it around 2010, but then bought it back a while later. Then had little un and with no belts decided to let it go again. Car had a body off full resto before I got it excluding the upper paint. Underneath everything was new. I do miss that bug, but all is not lost as I found this, which does have belts, but only does about 9mpg

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  19. Irishrover

Some man!

20. westy77

westy77 Funster

They were genuine, 4.5" s on the front, deep 6" on the rear. I'm guessing you know how much those fronts are worth?