Who fancies touring india

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by chatter, Nov 22, 2010.

1. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Breaks - Oil[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Drums, front/rear leather[/SIZE][/FONT]​

whats that all about then...leather brake drums front and rear. :Rofl1:

3. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Fabulous - thank you, just what I've been looking for (but not very hard admittedly)

:thumb:

4. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Stop being so picky - when they wear out, just skin a goat or two, et voila - job sorted

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

5. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

200 litres of water on the roof! That should get you snaking if the real things don't get you first. :Laughing:

6. pappajohn

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]6-7 km / liter approx (depending on the road & driving [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]skill [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]+20% hill)[/FONT][/SIZE]​

dont hit the holy cow laid in the road and stay on the road.....full extent of indian drivers skill.

driving test consists of a straight road with an S bend half way.....set off, negotiate bend, brake.....end of test.

and i believe some go to another 'state' 'cos its easier. :Rofl1:

stick to curries and forget driving in india. :thumb:

7. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Sleeps 8+1,
    and 200 litres of water on the roof! :Eeek:

We could learn a thing or two here :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    S

8. laneside

laneside Funster

I spent two weeks there on buisness in a past life and believe me I would not like to drive on their roads ever again. The picture below is common place and just no one observes any form of road rules whatsoever.

The moral they work by is that the man upstairs will have his will no matter what we do.

In the two weeks I was out there I saw some horrible crashes and several pedestrians run down.

From what I remember wild camping would be alowed ANYWHERE

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  9. pappajohn

here you are, the full [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGfLNqjh4j0"]INDIAN DRIVING TEST[/ame] :Eeek:

10. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Already booked:Wink:

11. pappajohn

dont take your bus john....yer springs couldnt handle the strain. :Laughing:

12. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

We hired a taxi for a week and we spent sooooo much time with our eyes closed:Eeek::Eeek: we would open our eyes and look at each other-------------we are still alive:Laughing::Eek!:
    As much as we would love to m/home in India-----------if we travelled there again it would be in another taxi-----:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: Or even by train ----another experience !--------- India is a country made for travelling-----------------------absolutely fantastic----especially if you feel comfortable mixing with down-to-earth people.
    I would been ok driving there when younger (and MUCH quicker):thumb::thumb:
    Nigel

13. sedge

sedge Funster

The 2nd time me and Mk I husband went to India, we went out one evening with another couple for a meal in a nearby town. Hubby in front, me and other couple in back of Taxi.

When we got to the resto at some stage there was a lull. The other chap says, Can I ask you a question? - Yes replies my husband. Well, it's something that I have been pondering on for a while and you've been here before and so forth, so it occurred to me that you might just know the answer - which side of the road are they supposed to drive on? To which my husband replied, Well - I have probably been pondering this for several years longer than you, and I think the best way I can possibly answer the question is 'Yes' .

And I think anyone that has been will prolly agree with that! Because whatever it is -it is invariably the side that the cow isn't.

14. pappajohn

could you drive in this chaos ?
    how many 'near' misses can you count :Eeek::Rofl1:[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wRh4FBjX-4[/ame]

15. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

That scene is repeated at thousands of junctions all over the country all day--every day------I don't remember a 'non rush hour:Eeek:'-------------thats the reason I COULDN'T drive there now,:cry:
    BTW you will see that most vehicles drive on the left:Rofl1:
    It is such a great Country to travel in:thumb::thumb:
    Nigel

16. JohnH

JohnH Funster

I worked in India and Bangladesh for several months and would not consider driving in either of those two countries ever. I always had a driver in India and once in Bangladesh I had to drive when my driver was taken ill. I was almost lynched when I touched a rickshaw in downtown Dacca. The cinema opened and I estimated that at least one thousand people suddenly started crossing he main road around me. My driver told me to cross over to the wrong carriageway and put my foot down or die.
    Never again. John

17. zaphod

zaphod Read Only Funster

I did a coach tour of North West India around 15 years ago now. It was great fun. When I got home, I actually missed the constant sound of horns.

Must go back, one day. An amazing country.

18. DBSilverfox

DBSilverfox Read Only Funster

Great country, but I have to agree with the consensus - after a week in Chennai earlier this year on business I would never even consider driving over there.

6 lanes of traffic weaving in and out of each other on a two lane carriageway, pedestrians, cows, and families on motorcycles. Not a chance!

The motorcycles reference was only for the families, I didn't see cows on motorcycles - :Wink: though you do see a lot of them on rubbish heaps scavenging amongst the plastic bottles!

david