Who else is 'Daft Enough'? (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
So apart from me and SWMBO…………. who else is bonkers enough to be out in their MH in the UK in this weather? :RollEyes::winky:

Where we are in Llandysul near Aberporth it is VERY windy and VERY wet (but that's Wales for you :winky: )

:Smile:

Sep 30, 2012
Frampton, West Dorset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We just got back yesterday from North Devon, yep very wet & very windy!

Sleeping was interesting as I thought at one point we may tip over (I know we wouldn't) It was like trying to sleep on a rocking horse :whatthe:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We just came back yesterday after setting off on 22 December. Five days on a CC site in Yorkshire and five days behind a village hall in Lincolnshire.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Just driven from Bovington in Dorset to a CL called Laverick Hall, Halton Lancashire….Took about 6hrs and included hailstones on the A34 south of Oxford…Bizarrely followed by blazing sunshine and a double rainbow!

Bit windy, but other than that…Hunky Dory

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
We are!
But then we always are - out and daft that is!!!:Eeek:

Had a mahoosive hail storm this morning - about ten minutes of hail the size of maltesers being blown out of the thunderclouds by 40-50mph winds - boy was it noisy in the van!

Did check afterwards though - no (new!) dents:winky:

Hope its better tomorrow - driving up to a CL at Kenilworth for a few days!

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Who is daft enough

We spent three nights at Trevaylor site just outside Botallack from 30th Dec to yesterday. Don't think we have ever experienced conditions like the first two nights in 8 years of motor homing. Odd thing was the days were clear bright and blue (not warm). Our friends came down from Saddleworth in their van and arrived two days before us staying one day longer. I bet when they woke up this morning they wished they'd bailed out (hopefully not literally) when we left.

Now were preparing for the Santander ferry in two weeks time, and two months of Spanish warmth.
:thumb:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
'Daft enough' to live in the van so out in all weathers. :winky:

Very windy near Oswestry but parked up with back of van into wind so hardly any rocking. Rufty-tufty fulltimer so don't bother with corner steadies. :wub:

On hook-up with heating switched to electric so lovely and warm 24/7 for no extra cost. Maybe not so daft ........ ::bigsmile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
This wretched weather...

Awful here today.

The sun went behind clouds several times. :Sad:

But... as mentioned above... Rufty Tufty (off site) Fulltimers don't worry about these things.

In fact a little breeze helps cool you down a bit...

JJ :Cool:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years

Very windy near Oswestry but parked up with back of van into wind so hardly any rocking. Rufty-tufty fulltimer so don't bother with corner steadies. :wub:

On hook-up with heating switched to electric so lovely and warm 24/7 for no extra cost. Maybe not so daft ........ ::bigsmile:

Nothing daft about living in the van, just passed our 7 year mark of rufty tufty full timing here in the UK, none of that softy-softy chasing the sun for us.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We just got back yesterday from North Devon, yep very wet & very windy!

Sleeping was interesting as I thought at one point we may tip over (I know we wouldn't) It was like trying to sleep on a rocking horse :whatthe:

Should have given up on the sleep and used the motion ! Would have been easier to get to sleep afterwards :Eeek:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Fulltimer here also. What are corner steadies? Are they a drinking aid?:ROFLMAO:

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
Another rufty tufty fulltimer! I am on the edge of Dartmoor at the moment, lots of rain,wind, and hailstones, still love it!
I have corner steadies, but cant be bothered to use them.

On a site with EHU, so warm and toasty::bigsmile:

Spending lots of time Bimbling about on the mooors with the dog::bigsmile:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Good pub by us, allows overnight parking ! Ye Old Crossgates !!

Very windy [HI][HI]near Oswestr[/HI][/HI]y but parked up with back of van into wind so hardly any rocking. Rufty-tufty fulltimer so don't bother with corner steadies. :wub:

Where ???? just down the road from us at Ford ! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

p.s. Ex rufty tufty motorhomer of many years !!

Last edited:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
So apart from me and SWMBO…………. who else is bonkers enough to be out in their MH in the UK in this weather? :RollEyes::winky:

Where we are in Llandysul near Aberporth it is VERY windy and VERY wet (but that's Wales for you :winky: )

:Smile:

Please say 'Hi' to Llandysul for us! We lived just outside Llandysul from '87 to '09... :thumb:

Kevc

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Compact Leisure vehicle
Exp
Since 2011
Just got back from a few days at Pembrey Park, Llanelli. Wardens advised where to park, and we were sheltered from worse of he wind.
Good couple of days, and even got a couple of strolls along the beach between the downpours :)

Enjoy

Kev

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I like the rocking motion especially when it`s just me and Mrs alone together,in the dark, and --:Blush:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have spent the last week in the van.

Rain and high winds every single day.

It's great when you are in the van but not so great when you want to go out.

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Going on Monday to CC site near Chester for a week or 2. Can't wait to get away. Sod the weather!

Cheers
Bernie & Rona:thumb:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Another rufty tufty fulltimer! I am on the edge of Dartmoor at the moment, lots of rain,wind, and hailstones, still love it!
I have corner steadies, but cant be bothered to use them.

On a site with EHU, so warm and toasty::bigsmile:

Spending lots of time Bimbling about on the mooors with the dog::bigsmile:

Which site are you on? Not thinking of squatting next door to you right away but we live just outside the southern edge of Dartmoor and any recommendations for sites nearby are always useful - for when we want to get away for a day or so and not have to drive too far.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Now sitting in front of a blazing log fire with friends in France, but nightmare getting here,train was fantastic, only took half a hour, not like the poor smucks that took the boat, getting off the train we had wind that tried to push us back and rain that came down like stair rods, plenty of flooding along the way but dry out there now and continue our journey south after the winds die down.:Smile:

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Which site are you on? Not thinking of squatting next door to you right away but we live just outside the southern edge of Dartmoor and any recommendations for sites nearby are always useful - for when we want to get away for a day or so and not have to drive too far.

We stayed at a CC CL called Lower Dutson Farm nr Lauceston for one night in the summer, not far from the River Tamar….So probably a bit wet at the moment:

http://www.lowerdutson.co.uk/caravans.html

A woodland campsite, EHU, Waste disposal etc, but no other facilities, so you need to be self contained. Quiet and off the beaten track. Some nice walks in the area. They also have a private lake for any keen anglers.

Last edited:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We're heading up to Edinburgh CC next week.....hopefully:Sad:

Had planned to go earlier, but despite having many comforts in the van when away we would miss the woodburner that's been on most nights recently::bigsmile:
With all the wind and rain we've had, being at home with four solid walls around us was just more appealing to be honest.

Christmas decs are all down now, so need to get away and cheer ourselves up.
Margaret gave me a nice bottle of Talisker for Christmas, so will be taking that away in the van as well:thumb:

Bill

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Heading up to Yorkshire for few days next week. Missed the new year meet as weren't well so ready for break . Haven't been in moho since Chester meet. Def got withdrawal symptoms !

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Was windy here in Portugal yesterday but not. cold.
We dreaded gales in England as being full-time as well we had to find somewhere to shelter from the wind , behind a building or at least face the cab into the wind.
I was always afraid we would blow over.
After seeing. high sided vehicles blown over on the roads on the news.
Calmed down today and the suns back out phew!
We are glad we made the decision to come down , for the first but won't be the last winter here.

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012

C&CC club site, Higher Longford, Moorshop, Tavistock, PL19 9LQ.:Smile:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I gotta be honest, a whole week of being battered by wind and rain in West Wales has now got the better of me:Sad: We have repositioned to Mother in Law's place to lick our wounds and work out how best to get to Portugal ASAP.

Alternatively we might just go away without the van to somewhere warm………

:whatthe::Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back