White water tank cleaning

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by JimboT, Jul 14, 2014.

1. JimboT

JimboT Funster

Should you clean this tank out regularly ?
    We empty every time we use our van and fill up for every trip.
    If so what should you use to clean these tanks, I can access mine via front seats.
    thanks
    Jim

2. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

Don't bother. Chlorinated water keeps it clean enough.

3. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

If you wanted to - give it a fill up and dissolve a sterilizing tablet in it, then let it out after a few hours. If you're not drinking it though, should be fine.

4. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

5. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

If you're draining it and refilling with fresh each time you shouldn't need to do anything. Sterilising tablets can be used for peace of mind though, especially if you drink from the tank. We only use it for tea/coffee making as it's usually too warm to want to drink it anyway. If needed for drinking as water, it works well if you boil it and then when cool, stick it in a bottle in the fridge, a useful standby if you're not near a water tap.

6. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

The problem with emptying the tank after every trip, as we do, is it doesn't get all the water out of the pipes, even if you open all the taps. This can be a problem if the vehicle is left unused for a long period. Chlorination won't stop algae growing in the long term.

• Like Like x 2
  7. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

Algae needs light to grow and besides, as far as I'm aware, it's completely harmless. Give me a tank with a bit of algae over one that tastes of disinfectant. :LOL:

8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

True, algae being green needs sunlight but I was using the term, incorrectly, to cover all things which can grow in pipes. Tap water can contain nitrates for example, which can be a food for some bugs. Also, the standard for contamination of say E. Coli in drinking water is such that it's presence in a sample does not mean the water company would panic and shut off your water supply. They would just investigate it and find the source.

9. rangitira

rangitira Funster

You are wrong there. The dribs and drabs left in the pipes goes off, this in turn effects the new refill. we dump the fresh water and open all taps, including the automatic freeze dump, so that on the way home ALL water is gone from the system, if there is any left then i wipe the fresh water tank out. Twice a year we sterilize the fresh water system using a home brew sterilizer @£1 a pop hardly expensive is it to get your tea tasting as it should? and having no fears on the purity of the water you clean your teeth with.

10. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

We fill it up with chlorinated taper water when empty, no problems in 20 years of motorhomes and caravan with fixed tank, how many 1000 years sat in the ground.

Martin

11. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

Well I do none of that and still enjoy my tea, nor do I worry about drinking it "neat" or brushing my teeth with it.

You're kidding yourself if you think opening all the valves, taps etc will ensure that all water drains from the system. Almost certain to be airlocked loops.

I don't drain down when I'm not using the van for most of the year and just change the water before setting off.

Still, each to his own but I think people worry WAY too much about this.

Tim

12. JimboT

JimboT Funster

thanks everyone
    Will clean out with some tablet what's the best safest ones to use
    As the is a bit of slim in the bottom of my tank.
    Jim

13. frank550

frank550 Read Only Funster

You can use "Miltons" (other sterilising solutions are available) the stuff you sterilise baby bottles etc in, its harmless (unless you drink it neat) to ingest, so no actual need to rinse but a flush will remove the smell! I was chatting to a chap last night whilst on site about this very issue. He now will always clean out his fresh water tank, after having 3 days sat on the loo, a direct result of contaminants in his water. You takes your choice, some will be lucky, others won't. If you've got slime in your tank, I would suggest you definitely do need a clean out.

14. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Miltons or Campden tablets the brewers use, but only if you think the water is "Iffy" although I do use a tablet twice a year to clear the sediment and gunge..

15. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Each to their own! Opening all taps DOES drain the water, else during winter the water freezes and come spring you suddenly find you have problems, I don't worry, just don't want my tea to taste like shite or get the squirts .
    Each to their own way of dealing with things eh?