White-tailed eagle

Discussion in 'Nature & Wildlife' started by Campercaillie, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Campercaillie

Campercaillie Read Only Funster

Just returned from a trip to the Outer Hebrides - Harris, Lewis and the Uists: Stunning place to visit, and we were particularly lucky in having a close encounter with Britain's largest bird of prey, the white-tailed eagle. We had a wild-camp stop on the shores of a loch, and no sooner had we had began to settle our attention was drawn to the noise of some oyster-catchers mobbing the eagle on the shore. Before I had a chance to get the camera it flew off, but returned later. That was the first of 3 x 2-day stays we had there during which we had further sightings of it in flight. One morning we were taking a walk along the lochside when we saw the eagle fly across to perch in a tree a hundred yards or so in front. We were sure it would fly away as we approached, but it stayed until we were right beneath it, and I managed to get a few shots as it flew off. It was a satellite-tagged bird, and on one of our re-visits, it flew to land on a wall right beneath our van ...........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
  2. coldstreamer

coldstreamer Funster

Fantastic

I do envy you, what a fantastic experience! the most outstanding of all the Scottish wild life, there on your 'doorstep', a memory to cherish.
    Best Regards Mac